Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2021, 11:41   #2806
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Shell in India (fuel, lubes, outlets)

New Shell bunk coming up on Marenahalli road (technically JP nagar, but on the edge of Jayanagar & JP nagar)

https://goo.gl/maps/fJ9tzQB57hAjdXss9

THis is the road that is between Jayadeva and Banshankari. Nice corner spot, and will be easily approachable for folks on the other side too.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2021, 16:36   #2807
BHPian

Is Shell doing some maintenance to all their outlets? Had to refill my car recently and found that the outlet on Sarjapur Road near Kodathi gate, was closed and there was some construction work in progress. So drove to the Varthur outlet, hoping it would be open, but it was closed as well and was in a similar situation. Looks like they were upgrading both of the outlets at the same time.

Is it the same situation at the other outlets in Bangalore, or was I just unlucky to be living near the 2 bunks that were closed at the same time for some construction work?
Old 1st April 2021, 16:48   #2808
BHPian

Shell Bunk opened up a couple of weeks back (on March 19th 2021) near my place. Near Nanded City, Sinhgad Road, Pune.

Shell in India (fuel, lubes, outlets)-whatsapp-image-20210319-12.00.52-pm.jpeg

Here is the exact location: https://goo.gl/maps/9VcJJa6Ti8TV8C3b9

Not had the opportunity to fill up here because of too much Covid. Will add my updates here when I do visit the outlet.
antz.bin is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 13:19   #2809
BHPian

The current prices of Shell petrol are crazy. I use IOCL XP95 which is 95 RON priced at 109. I see Shell asking 111 for regular and 119 for 91 RON V-Power? Why do people still fill up there? Looking at the number of new Shell pumps coming up in Bengaluru, there doesn't seem to be much reduction in the wheelfall at all.
theredliner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 08:00   #2810
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
The current prices of Shell petrol are crazy. I use IOCL XP95 which is 95 RON priced at 109. I see Shell asking 111 for regular and 119 for 91 RON V-Power? Why do people still fill up there? Looking at the number of new Shell pumps coming up in Bengaluru, there doesn't seem to be much reduction in the wheelfall at all.
I prefer Shell petrol over the others because it gives better mileage though it costs slightly more. This may be the answer to your question.
Fastdriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 10:35   #2811
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The current prices of Shell petrol are crazy. I use IOCL XP95 which is 95 RON priced at 109. I see Shell asking 111 for regular and 119 for 91 RON V-Power?
IOC XP95's pricing at ~109 bucks has the potential to totally wipe out Shell Regular. I am hoping the other PSUs will also eventually launch similar RON95 offerings at similar prices.

My experience with Shell Regular has been inconclusive so far, and I at least will move to XP95 for both my cars now.
Old 26th August 2021, 13:22   #2812
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastdriver View Post
I prefer Shell petrol over the others because it gives better mileage though it costs slightly more. This may be the answer to your question.
Interesting. I personally haven't seen any consistent change in FE with Shell regular. Makes sense in your case if the FE improvement is as good as the premium paid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
IOC XP95's pricing at ~109 bucks has the potential to totally wipe out Shell Regular. I am hoping the other PSUs will also eventually launch similar RON95 offerings at similar prices.

My experience with Shell Regular has been inconclusive so far, and I at least will move to XP95 for both my cars now.
Agree. I am using only XP95 for my T-Jet and high compression KTM 390. It's available in almost all the IOCL pumps in Blr now and has slowly started to spread to some taluk headquarters and highway pumps too.
theredliner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 18:09   #2813
BHPian

Quote:
Interesting. I personally haven't seen any consistent change in FE with Shell regular. Makes sense in your case if the FE improvement is as good as the premium paid.
Premium paid for Shell petrol is not that much, only ₹0.70 per litre last time I filled. I generally fill petrol in Meghalaya, next to Guwahati, Assam where petrol price is lower. Shell filling station is not available in Guwahati. Mileage has improved by 1/2 to 1 km/litre for 472 km drive. Maybe nationalised oil companies are better in cheating. I shall again try to check mileage to make it as conclusive as I can.
Fastdriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 20:44   #2814
Senior - BHPian

Funny thing I noticed in my 2008 Honda City ZX Gxi. I had noticed a little hesitancy especially on starting for the first few Kms. Almost like the car was short of breath for a moment before the power flew. This had disappeared spontaneously.
Again this reappeared after my last tankful.

I the began correlating things and realized that the last time this happened was after using Shell V-power petrol. Ditto this time too. I usually prefer fueling up only in COCO bunks or Shell. And Shell being who they are sometimes don't have regular fuel and have only the V-power.

Can anyone shed light on the misfiring associated with V-power petrol? It takes a few tankfuls of normal petrol to wash out and become normal.
wildsdi5530 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 23:03   #2815
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
Funny thing I noticed in my 2008 Honda City ZX Gxi. I had noticed a little hesitancy especially on starting for the first few Kms. Almost like the car was short of breath for a moment before the power flew. This had disappeared spontaneously.
Again this reappeared after my last tankful.

I the began correlating things and realized that the last time this happened was after using Shell V-power petrol. Ditto this time too. I usually prefer fueling up only in COCO bunks or Shell. And Shell being who they are sometimes don't have regular fuel and have only the V-power.

Can anyone shed light on the misfiring associated with V-power petrol? It takes a few tankfuls of normal petrol to wash out and become normal.
I used to face the similar issue with my 2008 City ZX. both Shell normal or V-Power used to cause some irritation for the Honda's i-DSI twin spark plug engine. Changing to HP petrol solved the problem. Now I have a 3rd gen Honda City, I prefer IOC or HP petrol.
arvindmanju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 18:23   #2816
BHPian

Why did Shell close down in Hyderabad ?
manduvindupondu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 15:26   #2817
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manduvindupondu View Post
Why did Shell close down in Hyderabad ?
Was there only one Shell outlet in Hyderabad ?

They are expanding like crazy here. The outlet you are referring to may have had other issues may be related to real estate.
Old 10th November 2021, 22:42   #2818
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Was there only one Shell outlet in Hyderabad ?

They are expanding like crazy here. The outlet you are referring to may have had other issues may be related to real estate.
Sir, there were 5 Shell outlets in Hyd circa 2016. Slowly, all of them closed down. Something to do with Shell policy may be. .

Interestingly, Essar (Nayara now) is expanding like crazy now.

Last edited by manduvindupondu : 10th November 2021 at 22:43. Reason: Spell check
manduvindupondu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 00:40   #2819
Senior - BHPian

Shell has increased diesel prices too over the market.

Diesel is now 6 INR approx costlier than OMC pumps.
Old 11th May 2022, 21:42   #2820
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
Shell has better quality control.
I trust COCO pumps of HP, IOC, BP. But I dont have access to one nearby. I have noticed COCO pumps are mostly found in highways and less in cities. On road trips I mostly tank up as COCO pumps. Not saying that all private PSU pumps are bad, just that I dont want to take chances when I have better option available - even if that costs few rupees more per litre.
mxx is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed