Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2005, 16:12   #1

GM's $2 Billion Lifeline Still Won't Rescue Fiat

http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news...d=aq8RZTDOAls8
Old 22nd February 2005, 12:10   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

while the article does raise some good points , it all comed down to how they utilize the money.. i say they should invest in markets like india which are growing
Old 22nd February 2005, 17:07   #3
Senior - BHPian

Wasn't it on team-bhp that someone mentioned that not a single penny of the $2B will be spent on Fiat's operations in India?
Old 22nd February 2005, 21:04   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wasn't it on team-bhp that someone mentioned that not a single penny of the $2B will be spent on Fiat's operations in India?
I wouldn't think that not a single penny will be spent here. No one can afford to ignore India right now least of all Fiat whose forte is in making small cars. Sales in Europe are stagnating and they have to look at other growing markets. Still, i feel most of the money will be spent to improve their position in their home continent and it makes sense. If TATA were to face almost bankcruptcy few years from now, would you like it if they spent most of the money in UK to sell the cityrover?
Old 22nd February 2005, 23:10   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeps

i think that would be a colossal mistake for fiat - they have to concentrate on third world markets like south africa, brazil, india, china etc - that's where the volumes are for the segment that fiat is best know to address - compact, quality cars - it's tuff - but i hope they can do it - the indica v2 was a turnaround car for tata - which was down in the dumps - fiat is producing some great cars - i hope 1 of them hits it big.

also, their new technology diesel engines are hitting big time - so fiat may make money on their core technology while they get to grips with the car market.

whatever be the case, lets hope for all car enthusiasts worldwide - fiat doesn't go bust...i think the bloomberg guy is a pessimist - he's been yelling a fiat doomsday since the put option negotiations with gm were going on - and that didn't go too badly for fiat

the good thing is that - with the $2b payoff, i hope that fiat india can stay in biz for another year at the least - that would cover my 3 free services with them

Most Viewed