Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2008, 19:40   #16
Senior - BHPian

Well people look for more features than practicality, Logan is the car for people who don't care for looks but need big sedan!

I appreciate Mahindra If they offer ABS/airbag/climate control with 8 lacs bracket.

There is nothing wrong with Logan its much better than Dezire/Sx4/Verna/Fiesta as far as space/comfort goes. So offerring safety features is welcome!

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 8th June 2008, 20:39   #17
BHPian

It has only driver side Airbag along with ABS.
There are no offers except some discount on Insurance.

The price is definetely on higher side for the product high panel gaps and even paint quality is not very good comparing fiesta and verna and sx4.
so 8 lacs ON-Road is way tooo high. if the price is 7 lacs then i think it is reasonable for Logan.

-MUKE
Old 8th June 2008, 23:42   #18
BHPian

Back from TD today and I didn't see an ABS version in Hyderabad showroom. The 1.5DLS (top end) was at 7.6 and less 20K discounts comes to 7.4.

Dealer is not sure about the ABS model yet.
Old 9th June 2008, 02:44   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, spacewise, doesn't the Logan win over the Dzire hands down?

Anyway, I will be off for a Logan TD today - I will come back with more (or less) ammunition to bat!
Oh and yes, Swift is badly put together but Logan shouts CHEAP from every corner. That said, NVH/road presence is fantastic. Don't buy that car unless you can make it just like ashutoshb. He has made it into a nice suuper machine.
Old 9th June 2008, 15:49   #20
Senior - BHPian

8 Lacs is a little too much for the lorry oops Logan. If would prefer to go in for an SX4 rather than Logan which has more features than this. BTW, are they updating with the same features in the Logan as SX4 by any chance?
Old 9th June 2008, 18:24   #21
BHPian

Logan is really a next segment car in its size but simpler to match up the price. This is how it was designed and this is how it is selling. Our market does not have proper segmentation with a number of cars charging quite much more(more than the next segment car) than for their size to say they give quality, brand etc(Best example Honda City/Skoda Fabia).

I happened to drive on a Merc E class and a Logan back to back today and i was surprised that the Merc engine is not really that quite nor is the suspension that soft. At high speeds both cars felt equally quite and well built(Yes there is quite a bit of wind noise starting at 100kmph even in the Merc), This is worsened by the fact that in the Merc i was driven in with music running soflty at a decent volume and in the logan without music. The Merc had better interiors(cumfortable, seated low(bit more room to streach your leg), nice seats and plastic running around you). Apart from that the Merc had an autobox , climate control, lot of features that you may not use everyday like the electrically operated seats with memory and importantly 5 star NCap rating compared to 3 star of the logan. Now if some one could sell me a Logan with better interiors(Slightly, better quality plastic on the door and panels up front), softer and well sculped seats(The logan was a taxi from MERU the lowest variant), Climate control, auto box, airbags, new higher saftey ratings, then I would not buy a Merc except for Brand image/Looks. All the above feature cost quite less and will be within a lakh if Logan had it.

Logan in India has the best diesel engines, these are not only to run long trouble free but are fraugal and torquey. They rev so much freely that my dad felt that it was a petrol engine. The Merc auto box did not allow it to go above 3K rpm.

I know i am insane to compare a car which about 6 times the cost of the other car but i really do not see much difference. As you cannot really drive above 100kmph at most of the roads in India.

So since Airbags are a part of list now so i see it as a good move, but charging a premium of about a lakh for airbags alone is a bad move. Airbag must be there in all the models.
Old 9th June 2008, 18:38   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass View Post
Leaving the subjective issue of looks, the fuel efficiency seems good from what owner reports on TBHP say. I was reading one which said the city mileage is 18.5, which is not way too different from Fiesta.
Yes, it does not have Verna's 110 horses, but again reviews here suggest lower turbo lag?!
But then Fiesta is more fun to drive and more exciting product overall than Logan. Logan has one specific market and people of that market wont spend 8 lakhs for a Logan with these features. They are no doubt welcome, but not price this high.

Verna has better engine I think and overall, Verna wins the engine race IMO. Turbo Lag is present in Swift also, but not as much as Verna.

@arunur: From the structure rigidity point of view, Verna has 2/5 NCAP rating, SX4 has 4/5, City ( based on Jazz ) has 4/5.
So in this price bracket, we have better options.
I dont agree with your comparison, but then agian, I completely agree with you that charging this much extra is not good.
Old 9th June 2008, 18:45   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunmur View Post
I happened to drive on a Merc E class and a Logan back to back today and i was surprised that the Merc engine is not really that quite nor is the suspension that soft. At high speeds both cars felt equally quite and well built(Yes there is quite a bit of wind noise starting at 100kmph even in the Merc), This is worsened by the fact that in the Merc i was driven in with music running soflty at a decent volume and in the logan without music. The Merc had better interiors(cumfortable, seated low(bit more room to streach your leg), nice seats and plastic running around you). Apart from that the Merc had an autobox , climate control, lot of features that you may not use everyday like the electrically operated seats with memory and importantly 5 star NCap rating compared to 3 star of the logan. Now if some one could sell me a Logan with better interiors(Slightly, better quality plastic on the door and panels up front), softer and well sculped seats(The logan was a taxi from MERU the lowest variant), Climate control, auto box, airbags, new higher saftey ratings, then I would not buy a Merc except for Brand image/Looks. All the above feature cost quite less and will be within a lakh if Logan had it.
Logan in India has the best diesel engines, these are not only to run long trouble free but are fraugal and torquey. They rev so much freely that my dad felt that it was a petrol engine. The Merc auto box did not allow it to go above 3K rpm.
I know i am insane to compare a car which about 6 times the cost of the other car but i really do not see much difference. As you cannot really drive above 100kmph at most of the roads in India.
So since Airbags are a part of list now so i see it as a good move, but charging a premium of about a lakh for airbags alone is a bad move. Airbag must be there in all the models.
Don't take this personally, but i just cant believe what i just read. Are you saying you will prefer a Logan with more features if you could opt for a Mercedes E class?

Logan in India has the best diesel engines? There is no power, it revs freely and has minimal turbo lag. But there is no result upon revving, the car just doesnt pull like others in its class!

Even fiesta diesels are smoother than Logan (any magazine/ unbiased opinion will confirm that), leave alone a Mercedes!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 9th June 2008 at 18:47.
Old 9th June 2008, 18:52   #24
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunmur View Post
Logan is really a next segment car in its size but simpler to match up the price. This is how it was designed and this is how it is selling.
I am sorry, but the Logan was NOT designed to be an 8 lakh rupee car. It is a cost-cut (read cheap) sedan that was designed to sell cheap. Do check its positioning worldwide.

Quote:
At high speeds both cars felt equally quite
I am not even going to comment on the Merc E Class bit, but yes, it is an accepted fact that the Logan has poor NVH insulation. Why? Again, cost cutting.

Quote:
Logan in India has the best diesel engines, these are not only to run long trouble free but are fraugal and torquey.
Best is an extremely relative word. What way is it the best in?

Dont get me wrong, I like the Logan for what it is (build, ride quality, space) and dont like it for what it is (price, no frills, cheap feelin'). But if you are going to state that the Logan is perfectly positioned and has the *best* engine, that is totally off the line.
Old 9th June 2008, 19:29   #25
BHPian

The price page on their website has been like that for a few months at least.
They probably want to disappoint potential customers after they get to the dealer ;-)
You could try Mahindra-Renault dealer websites. e.g. for Bangalore, one option is:
:: Vijai Auto :: Renault Price List
Old 9th June 2008, 20:53   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatin View Post
The price page on their website has been like that for a few months at least.
They probably want to disappoint potential customers after they get to the dealer ;-)
No, I saw it being functional only 2-3 days back!
Old 10th June 2008, 01:04   #27
Senior - BHPian

Okay, Mahindra-Renault has added ABS to its existing Logan lineup, and perhaps it is only in the top most variant.

@muke31: what other changes were there in that variant? Did you look inside? was anything different?

Since the website is not working, I don't know the existing price of the top most variant. According to a post in this thread, its 7.6L. ABS alone wouldn't justify a 40k price hike. There must be other things. And if there aren't, then Mahindra-Renault has gone bonkers! But still, if a buyer can spend 7.6L on a Logan, it can spend an extra 40k as well. Now you call him whatever you want. Its his money, let him burn it the way he wants. You don't like the car, turn away and go to your favourite car showroom and buy whatever you want.

Quote:
Given the bland and awfully boring looks of the Logan, I guess this price is way too steep!!
What does price has to do with the looks? this way the 800 should be free and the omni buyers should be paid instead.

Quote:
the engines themselves are quite weak package
the engines are good enough for people who want to go to office every day, carry their family in comfort and get decent fuel efficiency. Not everyone hits the tracks every weekend or take the car for a 'raid de himalya' every season or measure his car's 0-100 timings.

Quote:
the car doesn't have even the boot opener and electric OVrms which basic hatchbacks have these days.
the car does have the boot opener as standard. Which 'basic' hatchback has an electric ORVM? And if it does, will that be the single most interesting point that will make you buy that car?

Quote:
Logan is the car for people who don't care for looks but need big sedan!
Quote:
lorry oops Logan
Guys, this is a request from Logan owners like me, please refrain yourself from making such childish comments. This is no honourable way to comment on other members' cars. Please!
Old 10th June 2008, 01:14   #28
Team-BHP Support

Uh! Dzire... now thats an ugly duckling. I mean, ok so looks are definitely subjective but still Dzire is awfully out of proportions with that tacky boot attached. Logan is way better looking than that.
Old 10th June 2008, 08:04   #29
BHPian

i couldn't notice anyother changes except the ABS, that too only in paper.
the car was not available in showroom when i went there but they had given me the price list with ABS as their top end model.

I noticed Blaupunk audio also, not sure if this was already the standard?

The boot opener is still an accessory and not part for standard as mentioned by the sales guy...

They are not giving any information on the new face lift logan, they said it may take years to come but i feel it is a marketing trend by sales to hide any new launches to push all their cars to probable buyer.
Old 10th June 2008, 09:01   #30
Senior - BHPian

The website has been updated. A new variant called GLSX has been launched. Whats new in that variant, the website doesn't mention. neither the variant mentioned in the price list.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks