Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2019, 18:45   #181
BHPian

Re: Skoda Octavia vRS : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I don't think this is correct. 97 / 99 octane petrol is definitely not "normal fuel with additives".

V Power or Super, or such labels represent normal petrol with additives.

Figures such as 97 / 99 indicate the index of a fuel’s resistance to burning too early inside the engine – if that happens, it causes ‘pinking’ or ‘pinging’, which is mechanically destructive at high revs.

I am not sure if adding octane boosters or other such additives will help achieve the same results you'd get from actual high-octane petrol. But I may be wrong.
Read HP description of power99, it says US approved octane improver added to increase octane rating, not cleansing additive used on regular power or v power. In either case, they are additives.
http://www.hpretail.in/power_99

Last edited by zebo : 22nd January 2019 at 18:48.
zebo is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th January 2019, 16:15   #182
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebo View Post
Read HP description of power99, it says US approved octane improver added to increase octane rating, not cleansing additive used on regular power or v power. In either case, they are additives.
Thanks, good find! Also got the HP Murugeshpalya (HAL) fuel bunk contact (9740529498) from it and confirmed that currently they have Power 99 for 93.17/liter.
Old 28th January 2019, 19:23   #183
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Guys, any of you tried STP Octane booster? I have been using it over past few months for my GTI and must say it makes a difference.

So I now carry a bottle in my car and whenever I am out of town with no access to Speed 97/ Power 99, I head to the nearest Reliance outlet and tank up after adding the additive.
Santosh, got the Octane Booster today - fresh stock made and imported in Jan 2019 itself. Question is how do you add it and how much? My Octy has a 50 litre tank and currently has around 20 litres in it.

This is the big bottle and it says 'serves 28 gallons'. Google Uncle says that is 106 litres which is double my Octy's full tank. So should I pour in half of it and then tank up fully? Again, the bottle doesn't seem to have a measurement method. How do I measure?
Old 28th January 2019, 19:33   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebo View Post
I spoke to a friend who does R&D for IOC and he says it's more than just adding octane boosters. The bottom line is that it's the mix of the proportion of fuels that comes out at various stages of cracking and it's this combination of streams rich in iso-octane and n heptane to get the right octane level. Boosters help a little, but you need more than boosters to get a higher octane.

Hope I got that right.
keroo1099 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 7th July 2019, 14:53   #185
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Speed 97 and high RON petrol discussion thread

Visited Nagpal's Garage new BP pump on Bellary Road today. They had a sign "Speed 97 Coming Soon" outside the bunk. Went inside and inquired about the same. The dispensing pump with Speed 97 moniker is already installed. Some civil work was still going on. The attendant said that once the civil work is completed, Speed 97 will be available. He estimates another 15 days for this to happen.

Only concern I have is that the bunk is very small and the Speed 97 dispensing pump is located on the inside part of the bunk. It won't be easy getting in and getting out for big cars especially during rush hours. Hope it remains viable for them. Doing my bit to spread the word
Santoshbhat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th July 2019, 15:15   #186
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Visited Nagpal's Garage new BP pump on Bellary Road today. They had a sign "Speed 97 Coming Soon" outside the bunk. Went inside and inquired about the same. The dispensing pump with Speed 97 moniker is already installed. Some civil work was still going on. The attendant said that once the civil work is completed, Speed 97 will be available. He estimates another 15 days for this to happen.

Only concern I have is that the bunk is very small and the Speed 97 dispensing pump is located on the inside part of the bunk. It won't be easy getting in and getting out for big cars especially during rush hours. Hope it remains viable for them. Doing my bit to spread the word
S97 probably from next week. Visited and got Manager Mr. Vishwanath's number. Can PM if you PM me. Was happy to note that it is accessible from both sides, i.e.:

Airport-bound: get off after the first mini-flyover after Mekhri Circle and turn right under the second one. Carefully cross over at a slight angle to reach the fuel bunk.
City-bound: Take the service road just before the first mini-flyover.

EDIT: Just added it to Google Maps :-)
https://goo.gl/maps/yxXKy4CJoooN492m8

Last edited by itwasntme : 11th July 2019 at 15:27.
itwasntme is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2019, 20:49   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Visited Nagpal's Garage new BP pump on Bellary Road today. They had a sign "Speed 97 Coming Soon" outside the bunk. Went inside and inquired about the same. The dispensing pump with Speed 97 moniker is already installed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post

Speed 97 is apparently available at the Nagpal pump now. Some person (who appears to be the same person as the manager, going by the name) has updated it on G Maps. Waiting for you guys to report back in case you have plans to fill up this week

Last edited by theredliner : 20th July 2019 at 20:52.
Old 20th July 2019, 21:34   #188
Distinguished - BHPian

The newly renovated SRS Fuel bunk in Basavanagudi now stocks Speed 97 and I filled my Ninja today at 97 rupees per liter. I didn't have a positive experience with Power99 so would stick to Nagpals. When Nagpals was shut I began to miss 97 so this was a boon for me since I stay close by. For those who would benefit, here is where you can tank up speed 97 apart from Nagpals in Bangalore. Not sure if there are other bunks as well
Park View Service Station Bharat Petroleum
Kanakapura Rd, Kanakapura, Basavanagudi, Bengaluru, Karnataka 560004
099728 11117
https://goo.gl/maps/iL9az4fZcfbhuG9G7
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2019, 10:33   #189
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
S97 probably from next week. Visited and got Manager Mr. Vishwanath's number. Can PM if you PM me. Was happy to note that it is accessible from both sides, i.e.:

Airport-bound: get off after the first mini-flyover after Mekhri Circle and turn right under the second one. Carefully cross over at a slight angle to reach the fuel bunk.
City-bound: Take the service road just before the first mini-flyover.

Filled up today @96.58. Too early to tell in city traffic. More later

Also clarified that they are a 24x7 bunk which is a good thing to know.
Attached Thumbnails
Speed 97 and High RON petrol discussion thread-no-pain-no-gain.jpeg  

Last edited by itwasntme : 30th July 2019 at 10:34.
Old 30th July 2020, 09:39   #190
BHPian

My Experience with Power99
I own a 2017 BMW 320i with a 2L B48 engine that runs on a ridiculously high 11:1 compression ratio. The high compression ratio means to extract the full power of my engine, the car must be run on fuel >95 RON (As recommended by BMW). Since the time I've owned this car, it has been running on a strict diet of Power99 fuel. I tested about a 2 tanks of regular fuel too, more about that below.

Initial Impressions
Power99 gave alot more smoother feel than regular petrol and the car felt happier staying at higher rpms in comparison to regular fuel. The fuel economy on regular fuel was approximately 7kmpl in comparison to 9.4kmpl on power99.

Where things went wrong
I kept running power99 with nothing new to report, things were as smooth as always until the day I decided to get my car remapped. My 320i runs a Stage 1 91 AKI (95 RON) map that I knew should've worked perfectly with power99 fuel, but evidence showed otherwise.
Before going in for the tune, I decided to collect data logs using the bootmod3 application, just to see how the car runs and results were quite surprising. I was getting knocks and frequent timing pulls at higher rpms even on power99 fuel!
I read up a lot about this behavior and there were two main causes highlighted -
1. Fuel
2. Natural behavior of the DME to operate at borderline levels of knock.

To eliminate the chances of malpractice, I tried the other fuel pump in Jaipur that sells power99 fuel but nothing changed. Since nothing changed between petrol pumps, I thought power99 couldn't be the issue, and I continued with my tuning endeavors.

I spent nearly a month sharing logs with my tuner running different maps 91 RON, 91 ACN etc. but to no avail. I was still getting a lot of timing pulls up top and a few knocks too.

The Solution
As I had to eliminate all chances of a mechanical issue with my engine, I decided to try Proctane Evo 1.5% blend with regular fuel in my car and the result was astonishing.
Absolutely no knocks even when remapped and little to no timing pulls!
This clearly meant that the power99 fuel was not of advertised octane rating.

Takeaways
1.While power99 may be of good quality in cities like Delhi and Mumbai, in Jaipur it is clearly not so.
2. The cost of power99 in comparison to Proctane 1.5% + Regular fuel equates to about the same hence I'll continue to use it in the future.

Last edited by dealer : 30th July 2020 at 09:41.
dealer is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 30th July 2020, 10:05   #191
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealer View Post
1.While power99 may be of good quality in cities like Delhi and Mumbai, in Jaipur it is clearly not so.
2. The cost of power99 in comparison to Proctane 1.5% + Regular fuel equates to about the same hence I'll continue to use it in the future.
Thanks for your feedback. I have also used Proctane regularly on my M4. It's original BMW tune, but I found the power 99 better. But it's also a fact that my car makes more sound when I use Procatne with regular fuel. Maybe I need to find a perfect mix ratio. It's also a fact that somewhere, I always feel sceptical on adding additives thought HP also mentions clearly that they use additives for Power 99. Is there a way to measure Octane rating at home?
Old 30th July 2020, 14:13   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Thanks for your feedback. I have also used Proctane regularly on my M4. It's original BMW tune, but I found the power 99 better. But it's also a fact that my car makes more sound when I use Procatne with regular fuel. Maybe I need to find a perfect mix ratio. It's also a fact that somewhere, I always feel sceptical on adding additives thought HP also mentions clearly that they use additives for Power 99. Is there a way to measure Octane rating at home?
Octane testing can only take place in heavily specialized labs and cannot be done at home. That being said, I read up on two main causes of octane breakdown that can cause issues with power99 other than the malpractice of adulteration. Those factors being-
1. Improper Storage of Fuel (I've heard its quite poor in India)
2. Long periods of Storage

Your experience with the M4 on power99 may be better because whatever pump you source it from has a fresh supply owing to constant demand. The pumps in Jaipur rarely see any customers of high octane petrol which may mean long periods of storage and hence octane breakdown. This is just a speculation ofcourse but I couldn't think of anything else.

Regarding proctane, it uses the same additives as used in power99 to boost the octane rating of the fuel and people have been using it without issues for quite sometime. The sound issue you mentioned may be due to the blend, you can try a different 1.5%/2% blend and see if that fixes it or just continue running on good quality power99 fuel.
dealer is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2020, 14:17   #193
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for the details. My bad, by sound I meant , exhaust! I get more bangs using proctane, maybe I need to find the correct mix ratio.
Old 30th July 2020, 14:27   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Thanks for the details. My bad, by sound I meant , exhaust! I get more bangs using proctane, maybe I need to find the correct mix ratio.
That's something I noticed too, my car was burbling on proctane and it never had before. The logs did not show any issues and I quite liked the sound, is it just regular burbles, farts etc. or something that doesn't sound good?
Old 7th September 2020, 19:36   #195
BHPian

This is my first post on Team BHP so forgive me if I am breaking any community rule.

I have a Mercedes C200 2.0L and have been running it on Xtra Premium from IOC since delivery (roughly 6,200 kms) and wanted to know if upgrading to 97 RON would make any difference as the recommended fuel on the filler cap is 95 RON. Are there any long term effects of running 91 RON in a C200 in India as higher octane fuels are rarely available here.

Also where can I find 97 RON in Delhi (mainly around the airport).

Thanks for your time!
katil.garage is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks