Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2008, 08:03   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorque View Post
with most of the cars we are driving here we dont need speed 97.
for people whose cars require speed 97 dont need to think of the cost of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
A person buying a car like that would be prepared for higher running costs, I am sure.
True, people spend a lot of money on cars, and do know that they're gonna have to shell out for premium fuel. However that being said, it doesn't mean that they don't feel the pinch. Everyone does...No one wants to throw their money away [Well most don't]

Old 18th September 2008, 15:10   #32
BHPian

Hey guys, I have been using speed 97 from 2005, if you guys remember it was first called as speed 93 then it because speed 97 as the octane was added more. My 350CC bike and VTEC runs on Speed, I even use shell (Shell Super also contains 91 %) when I don’t get Speed 97 or 91. I can feel the difference in the response of the car or bike when driving with Speed and the normal fuel. There were days where I used drive down 8-10Kms for getting Speed 95, but now I have a option of Shell Super near by place.

In bangalore also it will cost about 70+ for speed 97.
Old 23rd September 2008, 22:53   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by garvit2002 View Post
ppl its still rs60/ltr here in jpr
What does Speed 97 cost in Jaipur now dude?

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorque View Post
with most of the cars we are driving here we dont need speed 97.
for people whose cars require speed 97 dont need to think of the cost of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
The person who started this thread bought an E92 BMW M3 brand new.
What do you have to say about that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
A person buying a car like that would be prepared for higher running costs, I am sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocG View Post
True, people spend a lot of money on cars, and do know that they're gonna have to shell out for premium fuel. However that being said, it doesn't mean that they don't feel the pinch. Everyone does...No one wants to throw their money away [Well most don't]

Yeah, I hear that all the time. The simple fact is there is a double standard at work here. If a price hike is announced at a certain % and then a set-off is announced at a certain %, how do you end-up with an even bigger price hike than was originally announced? The question is not whether or not people can afford to pay for the fuel, the question is, is it correct to arbitrarily raise the cost of a product? Is it legal?
Old 24th September 2008, 01:02   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk_75 View Post
If a price hike is announced at a certain % and then a set-off is announced at a certain %, how do you end-up with an even bigger price hike than was originally announced? The question is not whether or not people can afford to pay for the fuel, the question is, is it correct to arbitrarily raise the cost of a product? Is it legal?
Dude, AFAIK the price hike is for standard, unbranded fuel, that oil companies are not allowed to advertise for. They are free to price the premium -- IOC Xtra Premium, BP Speed etc -- and the extra premium -- BP Speed 97 -- at whatever they like.

And yes, one can pretty much arbitrarily raise the price of a product in a free market environment. One is also free to not buy the product.
Old 24th September 2008, 02:18   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Dude, AFAIK the price hike is for standard, unbranded fuel, that oil companies are not allowed to advertise for. They are free to price the premium -- IOC Xtra Premium, BP Speed etc -- and the extra premium -- BP Speed 97 -- at whatever they like.

And yes, one can pretty much arbitrarily raise the price of a product in a free market environment. One is also free to not buy the product.
The point is that the cost of essential commodities are not market governed in India.
Old 25th September 2008, 02:03   #36
Senior - BHPian

Yes, but premium fuel is not an essential commodity!
Old 25th September 2008, 18:25   #37
Senior - BHPian

Good quality, unadulterated fuel should not be considered premium to begin with. Sadly it's that attitude that is the reason why our basic fuel is crap quality and adulterated; the feeling that you get what you pay for, instead of realising that we are being well and truly ripped-off to begin with.

Last edited by kbk_75 : 25th September 2008 at 18:26.
Old 25th September 2008, 20:23   #38
Senior - BHPian

Very true! In fact I dont even understand this terminology "branded fuel"! Does that mean that the oil PSUs are washing their hands off normal petrol by saying its unbranded ...and that they dont "produce" it??

And premium fuel? Why premium? Just because it has some additives added? And come to think of it, they arent even disclosing what additives they add & what exactly they do (only very sketchy stuff)!!

All quite fishy!

Now supposing I use ordinary petrol + IFTEX (which I do, and its cheaper!), then am I using low grade fuel with possibly higher grade additive?
Old 25th September 2008, 20:40   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
...Now supposing I use ordinary petrol + IFTEX (which I do, and its cheaper!), then am I using low grade fuel with possibly higher grade additive?
I used to do exactly that some years ago when Speed first launched and my Cielo desperately needed to have an additive in the fuel or else the injectors would get clogged after a while. Sadly, I think your assessment may be true.

I am also not comfortable with the thought that we have no idea what additives they are putting into the "branded" fuel. I would much rather buy pure, unadulterated 98 octane for my car (like Reliance used to sell) than Speed 97. In fact Reliance 98 Octane used to be Rs. 5/- a litre cheaper than Speed97 back when it was available. Sadly, that is no longer an option.

Last edited by kbk_75 : 25th September 2008 at 20:43.
Old 27th September 2008, 02:06   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Good quality, unadulterated fuel should not be considered premium to begin with. Sadly it's that attitude that is the reason why our basic fuel is crap quality and adulterated; the feeling that you get what you pay for, instead of realising that we are being well and truly ripped-off to begin with.
Even if you get good unadulterated fuel, it won't be 95-97 octane, pretty much anywhere in the world. Would you run your car on anything less than 97? We're being ripped off, yes, and there are many threads to discuss that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Very true! In fact I dont even understand this terminology "branded fuel"! Does that mean that the oil PSUs are washing their hands off normal petrol by saying its unbranded ...and that they dont "produce" it??

And premium fuel? Why premium? Just because it has some additives added? And come to think of it, they arent even disclosing what additives they add & what exactly they do (only very sketchy stuff)!!

All quite fishy!

Now supposing I use ordinary petrol + IFTEX (which I do, and its cheaper!), then am I using low grade fuel with possibly higher grade additive?
Premium fuels were introduced as a branding effort and also to try and garner more profits. If you notice, PSU oilcos are free to price their premium fuels at whatever price they want, which is why there is often a difference between, say, Speed and Xtra Premium. PSU are NOT allowed to advertise regular fuel -- petrol or diesel.

Quote:
...pure, unadulterated 98 octane for my car (like Reliance used to sell) than Speed 97. In fact Reliance 98 Octane used to be Rs. 5/- a litre cheaper than Speed97 back when it was available. Sadly, that is no longer an option.
Reliance was probably the worst fuel ever. We tanked up on 98 in Mumbai and blew an engine because the fuel was bad.
Old 27th September 2008, 15:59   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Premium fuels were introduced as a branding effort and also to try and garner more profits. If you notice, PSU oilcos are free to price their premium fuels at whatever price they want, which is why there is often a difference between, say, Speed and Xtra Premium. PSU are NOT allowed to advertise regular fuel -- petrol or diesel.
I didn't know they were allowed to price their so-called premium stuff. Now doesn't that kinda explain why a lot of times a lot of pumps run out of the normal stuff?? And often when people are told that the stock of normal petrol has run out, they end up filling up the "branded" stuff. I myself was forced to do it couple months back when there was shortage of petrol in Poona. Hate to mix stuff... but didn't have a choice!

Quote:
Reliance was probably the worst fuel ever. We tanked up on 98 in Mumbai and blew an engine because the fuel was bad.
Now thats really surprising. I'v heard only good things about Reliance and Shell petrol. Have even used twice in my bike. Could not make out any +ve or *ve difference. Btw, what exactly do you mean "blew an engine"? Are you sure that it was the petrol that caused whatever you are saying it caused?
Old 27th September 2008, 21:30   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
...Reliance was probably the worst fuel ever. We tanked up on 98 in Mumbai and blew an engine because the fuel was bad.
Care to elaborate?
Old 28th September 2008, 03:37   #43
Senior - BHPian

Ultra-high compression engine. Ran only 97 octane, or 91 plus a lot of boosters, both of which ran right with no issues. Running low on fuel, decided to try Reliance 98 octane. The rest, and more specifically the engine, is and was history.
Old 28th September 2008, 11:19   #44
Senior - BHPian

What engine? What compression? How did it blow? What exactly happened? How do you know the fuel caused it?
Old 28th September 2008, 16:02   #45
Senior - BHPian

AFAIK, you cannot raise the octane rating of petrol just by adding boosters/additives...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks