Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2008, 13:40   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Yup its a Tempo traveller. Left to right Accent, Baleno, Reva,TT and the Accord.
O.T : Riju you definitely have a bird's eye view .Were you the one standing near the Baleno . I kid I kid, Take it easy bro!

Last edited by VJ_MAVRICK : 12th June 2008 at 13:41.
Old 12th June 2008, 13:49   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muke31 View Post
Anyone here driving Reva in realtime driving in traffic?

how many KMS it runs per charge on actual driving condition and how is the maintenance costs?

I am considering Reva for driving in Bangalore city for 40 - 45 KMS per
day.

--MUKE
Hi,

I went to the reva showroom in Lavelle road. Was planning to buy one. But i thought that it is a waste to invest 4.07 laks (OTR price of classe model with ICICI finance) .

I test drove it. It is great for city commute but what put me off was that the price of the car is ridiculously high and moreover they charge exorbitant prices for each and every single spare. For ex: they give only 5mts of the charging cable with the car and they charge Rs.75 for every extra metre of the cable. The battery costs Rs.60,700.

Moreover the build quality isnt good. I saw the windows of demo car not aligned properly. When i checked the other car, it was also the same.

when i showed my 3 year old daughter this car and asked her how it is, she thought i am buying a new toy for her
Old 12th June 2008, 14:18   #18
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Akshaye drives a Reva
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankit.jhamb View Post
akshaye khanna`s reva??
GTO :are you sure ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Even my thoughts. GTO you sure and not having cheers:
Yup, he does drive one. Link to news article.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion_80 View Post
The battery costs Rs.60,700.
There go "low running costs" down the tubes. Apparently, the battery needs replacement every 4 years. Also, member RAC (a Reva owner) had posted that the Reva isn't really about saving up on running costs. You have to pay some tax differential after 5 years of ownership.

The Tata Nano makes the Reva look seriously overpriced. Thats because it is.

Last edited by GTO : 12th June 2008 at 14:25.
Old 12th June 2008, 14:25   #19
Senior - BHPian

I hope Reva is bought by Tata or Mahindra. The costs would really go down and we can have a cheaper car (round about 1 lakh)
Old 12th June 2008, 14:32   #20
BHPian

Team,
I am seriously looking for Reva Batteries and Motors (Even more powerfull) for my Nano (yet to be available). I want to run it on dual power (Micro hybird? :-) )
Old 12th June 2008, 14:44   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyBear View Post
Team,
I am seriously looking for Reva Batteries and Motors (Even more powerfull) for my Nano (yet to be available). I want to run it on dual power (Micro hybird? :-) )
I want to have one too. Connect the motor after the clutch and disengage the engine for drives in city for a no gear vehicle. Is this possible ?
Old 12th June 2008, 14:48   #22
Senior - BHPian

Thanks GTO for the news link, atleast someone feels happy that nothing was posted over a 'peg'. Reading the link got me thinking about something that I have never heard before about REVA. Here is the quote:

"It is the only car in the world that makes you money. It is the most amazing statistic. The government of India gives you 80% depreciation on the first year. So if the car costs you 5 lakh rupees, in the first year you are getting about 4 lakh rupees back. After the first year you again get the remaining 20% if the amount back. So after the second year your car is free. Supposing my spending on the petrol of a normal car is 3000 rupees a month. So that amount is actually saved when I am using Reva as it does not need petrol. So that is my income in a way. So the car is paying me rupees 36,000 in a year".

Anyone could throw some light on these ? Few have already taken test drives, anyone got the above info from the dealer ?

Last edited by shajufx : 12th June 2008 at 14:50.
Old 12th June 2008, 15:19   #23
Senior - BHPian

I remember reading an article about Akshaye Khanna's car too. He has a Blue car with mags. Its the top of the line with an a/c. 5.5 is a bit too much to pay for this car. If it were somewhere close to 2.5 I think a lot of people would be interested including me.
Old 12th June 2008, 15:26   #24
Senior - BHPian

whats the talk he gave about govt refunding the money ?
Old 12th June 2008, 15:32   #25
BHPian

I really feel uncomfortable when someone names Reva a car lol..it's just a higher version of my kids battery operated car and the worst part is my kid saw the Reva once in a parking lot near MG Road and started to pester me get the BIG TOY for him so that he drive on the roads (he is just 3.5 yr ols LOL) we had to convince that it's also car but a smaller version but he is not convinced though.
I used to see a Reva driven by a huge guy everytime I travel to my office and literally I feel bad for the car?!? AND the guy who is driving it, he was never able to overtake any of the vehicles on the road, I don't understand why would people even prefer it (my personal opinion).
Old 12th June 2008, 16:11   #26
Senior - BHPian

Its not about refunding money. Its just that more depreciation is allowed on Reva compared to other cars. So does it mean that you can buy one from Akshaye Khanna for free after 2 or 3 years.
I didn't get the logic also.
Old 12th June 2008, 16:22   #27
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
The government of India gives you 80% depreciation on the first year. So if the car costs you 5 lakh rupees, in the first year you are getting about 4 lakh rupees back. After the first year you again get the remaining 20% if the amount back. So after the second year your car is free.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
whats the talk he gave about govt refunding the money ?
I doubt the government allows 80% depreciation on the Reva / any electric car. If they do, then it makes for a fantastic proposition, but only for business owners who can claim depreciation benefits.

I don't agree with his calculation though. Depreciation is a cost and hence, you cannot take the deduction as a 100% benefit.
Old 12th June 2008, 17:23   #28
BHPian

Reva

Quote:
It is the most amazing statistic. The government of India gives you 80% depreciation on the first year.....

Anyone could throw some light on these ? Few have already taken test drives, anyone got the above info from the dealer ?
I might be wrong, but what I understood by this is. While doing your IT computation (not applicable for salaried employees) You take your total income , Less expenses. Here you can deduct 4L as depreciation towards the Reva, assuming that is shown as part of your business.
So your taxable income is reduced by 4L thereby saving on tax.
Old 12th June 2008, 17:36   #29
BHPian

Quote:

So if the car costs you 5 lakh rupees, in the first year you are getting about 4 lakh rupees back. After the first year you again get the remaining 20% if the amount back.
This looks right out of a scam mails which float around saying "You have 768,356,890.17 USD in a bank in #^@&#*&(, please come and claim it."

It actually works like this. If you are a self employed person, (salaried people are exempted from this great scheme :-P), you buy Reva as your capital investment. Then you claim 80% depreciation of that investment in the first year itself, deducting your taxable income by 4L. That is, if your income is 6laks that year, buying a Reva will deduct your taxable income to 2L saving you on the income tax.

We will NOT get the 4 lakh rupees back.
Old 12th June 2008, 18:01   #30
BANNED

Bangalore has more than its share of Revas. On March 2nd, 2008, a Reva owners club had some kind of rally through the city that ended in a gala get together at Cubbon Park.

The Deccan Herald edition on May 29, 2008 featured an article on Reva and its popularity in Bangalore.

A friend of mine has one and she seems quite happy with it. She does have to plan her travel (in terms of remembering to charge the car each night) but other than that, she doesn't feel constrained for city use. All the big malls have special parking places for Revas with a charging point.

Most Viewed