Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2008, 18:58   #46
BHPian

Why not the REVA?

So much hype for the NANO – every state ready to welcome. No doubt it is an Indian engineering marvel to have the cheapest car in the world.

However we tend to forget that REVA was (& is) a marvel that was ahead of its time. The non-polluting and efficient city commuter is so relevant at this time, but still the governments and public opinion still does not take enough notice of it. It is largely indigenous, gets no subsidies and is even taxed at a rate higher than small cars!!

More reading at India drives ahead of the world in electric car- Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times

When the government can subsidize unconventional energy and even conventional diesel, why not the REVA?

Last edited by aah78 : 19th September 2008 at 21:26. Reason: Thread merged with existing.
Old 19th September 2008, 19:06   #47
Senior - BHPian

Such a shame

The Government has completely ignored the REVA.

The main disadvantage of a 4 lakh price could be offset by not taxing it and also making road tax and registration free. The REVA is a brilliant car, and if it goes mainstream the company can leverage the economies of scale and bring the cost still lower.

Having said that, we are on the threshold of an electrical revolution. watch this space, many manufacturers are firming up plans to enter this market and many entrepreneurs are also in queue
Old 19th September 2008, 20:50   #48
Senior - BHPian

Reva has been launched much ahead of its time. The time is not yet ripe for going in for a electric cars except in some golf courses or in r/stn and other malls.

The Govt does not yet consider this car which runs on battery seriously. Only time will tell how much it will be helpful in our day to day activities. No doubt it saves lot of natural resources.

It has a limited battery period and charging might be a problem in the parking areas in office. Besides this, there is every possibility of the battery getting discharged in the middle of traffic. then what will you do? Stop the car and push. I'amnot saying that it will not happen to current diesel and petrol cars. But the chances of break down of these cars might be more. We do not have sufficient data to prove this.

Moreover, how about the A.S.S. of Reva ? There aren't any showrooms except a couple of them in Bangalore.

Last edited by Rehaan : 21st September 2008 at 21:51.
Old 19th September 2008, 22:39   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post

The main disadvantage of a 4 lakh price could be offset by not taxing it and also making road tax and registration free. The REVA is a brilliant car, and if it goes mainstream the company can leverage the economies of scale and bring the cost still lower.
reva has been launched in delhi. there is some tax rebate and free registration/road tax..i may be wrong but i think it costs 2.99 lacs in delhi. delhi govt. is promoting reva..
but how many reva's have been sold in delhi will be interesting to know
Old 21st September 2008, 22:27   #50
Senior - BHPian

My Dad has been using a REVA for years now. He consistenly gets 60 per charge. It really suits his driving style. He keeps zooming and applying brakes alternatively, and this helps in regenerative braking increasing the range slightly
Old 22nd September 2008, 12:18   #51
BHPian

One More disadvantage I can see is :
People who are staying in Apartment they dont have the option to charge the car while they charge in their parking place. If you have your own house you may be able to take a outlet of your own electricity. But in the case of apartment it is not like that.
We may need alternate charging station for this. May be some kind of instant meter system for charging...
Old 22nd September 2008, 12:59   #52
Senior - BHPian

on my latest trip to pondichery, i think i have seen the highest per capita population of the reva there. . . either people were on bycycles or the reva.

cheers,
ac

Quote:
. He keeps zooming and applying brakes alternatively, and this helps in regenerative braking increasing the range slightly
Am not sure about the 'zooming' part of it, can a reva actually 'zoom' ???

Does the Reva have Air conditioning ? and can one switch on the headlights along with the wipers when its dark and raining ???

Last edited by Rehaan : 24th September 2008 at 02:37. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the EDIT button to add to an existing post within 20 minutes instead of postnig another consecutive post.
Old 22nd September 2008, 13:25   #53
BHPian

Yes the reva does have an excellent airconditioning system ( in fact it has a compressor size similar to the Esteem and the car gets cool really fast because of the size). Wipers and Ac can be used together with no problem whatsover. I have been using the reva for quite some time and is one of my favourite cars for today's traffic conditions.
Old 22nd September 2008, 13:31   #54
Senior - BHPian

Hi ac 427,

> Does the Reva have Air conditioning ?

There are models with Air conditioning.

> and can one switch on the headlights along with the wipers when its dark
> and raining ???

I assume so! The range would be shortened if all the items are used together.
Old 22nd September 2008, 13:50   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby jayaram View Post
Yes the reva does have an excellent airconditioning system ( in fact it has a compressor size similar to the Esteem and the car gets cool really fast because of the size). Wipers and Ac can be used together with no problem whatsover. I have been using the reva for quite some time and is one of my favourite cars for today's traffic conditions.
thanks for the answers guys.
I guess its a really proud moment for us Indian, but were never learn to appreciate it. I mean the reva A.K.A geewiz is more famous in London more than Here, may be because of its strict rules and the taxes and the road taxes one has to pay if they have a fuel guzzler and the expemtions if you have a electric car, but still its more famous there than here.

cheers to you guys who use this car.

Cheers,
AC
Old 22nd September 2008, 14:22   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclectix 1st View Post
Pros:
  • Less than 1 Rupee / Km
  • Best for Bangalore's traffic conditions
Cons:
  • Limitation on per charge travel. Even though they claim 80 Kms per charge, practically it will never cross 75 Kms (Even when its new). Within a year that will come down to less than 70 Kms per charge. End of two years something around 65 Kms. The only remedy the company will offer you is Battery replacement at a cost of Rs. 55000.
  • If you are stuck in heavy traffic, the above mileage can be discounted by up to 20% on account of constant braking.
  • A_S_S is good only if you go to them. Their promise of mobile service never worked. My BIL never got them to come to his place. He always ended up going to their A_S_S after prolonged wait for their service people.
  • Practically you can never travel with more than two people. The back seat is a namesake. Normal humans cant sit in that seat.
  • Pick up is quite bad. If you had to stop on an incline, you better carry some rope, so that you can be hauled by someone else.
  • Very shoddy and uncomfortable seat. Its only slightly better than 3rd class train bench. No adjustments what so ever.
  • Windows are like STC bus's. Doors wont close properly if the windows are open. So you need to close the door first & then slide in the windows.
  • After a month or so Rattles started. Which never stopped till my BIL found a buyer for his rattling trap.
  • If you are driving in the night, the HL is non existent.
Good analysis, but maybe you are a little too critical!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post

"It is the only car in the world that makes you money. It is the most amazing statistic. The government of India gives you 80% depreciation on the first year. So if the car costs you 5 lakh rupees, in the first year you are getting about 4 lakh rupees back. After the first year you again get the remaining 20% if the amount back. So after the second year your car is free. Supposing my spending on the petrol of a normal car is 3000 rupees a month. So that amount is actually saved when I am using Reva as it does not need petrol. So that is my income in a way. So the car is paying me rupees 36,000 in a year".
What bull. Who was the person who told you this. Ask him the maintenance costs of the reva and he'll stop talking!

Quote:

Having said that, we are on the threshold of an electrical revolution. watch this space, many manufacturers are firming up plans to enter this market and many entrepreneurs are also in queue

I agree 100%. Also, The company has been brilliant to introduce a new concept at a early stage. I agree there are pinpricks, but Wish them all the best!

LOL: REVA has also completely ignored "The Babus"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
Am not sure about the 'zooming' part of it, can a reva actually 'zoom' ???
Yup, have done 60kmph in a reva and it does feel like a 120 on an esteem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post

cheers to you guys who use this car.

A real Cheers to you guys for being environment friendly!

Apparently, the new REVAs have improved AC, better battery life etc - the 2008 edition - any users / owners?

Last edited by headers : 22nd September 2008 at 14:25.
Old 22nd September 2008, 14:40   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Good analysis, but maybe you are a little too critical!

What bull. Who was the person who told you this. Ask him the maintenance costs of the reva and he'll stop talking!

I agree 100%. Also, The company has been brilliant to introduce a new concept at a early stage. I agree there are pinpricks, but Wish them all the best!

LOL: REVA has also completely ignored "The Babus"

Yup, have done 60kmph in a reva and it does feel like a 120 on an esteem!

A real Cheers to you guys for being environment friendly!

Apparently, the new REVAs have improved AC, better battery life etc - the 2008 edition - any users / owners?
The reva does come with an 80% depreciation and also educational institutions,hospitals and a few other special categories have a subsidy paid by the govt. The maintainence costs are very very low with probably you paying for distilled water to top up the batteries and a replacement set after 3.5 - 4 years. The standard reva does a top speed of 80kmph . I drive a few other very quick cars but believe me when i say that in todays traffic there are very few cars that can beat a Reva and also we do our bit to save the environment.
Old 22nd September 2008, 19:21   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But sir, doesnt your Reva run on a GSXR/CBR motor powered by gasoline rather than a DC motor powered by a battery???

Quote:
"It is the only car in the world that makes you money. It is the most amazing statistic. The government of India gives you 80% depreciation on the first year. So if the car costs you 5 lakh rupees, in the first year you are getting about 4 lakh rupees back. After the first year you again get the remaining 20% if the amount back. So after the second year your car is free. Supposing my spending on the petrol of a normal car is 3000 rupees a month. So that amount is actually saved when I am using Reva as it does not need petrol. So that is my income in a way. So the car is paying me rupees 36,000 in a year".
please refer to this link:
REVA Electric Car Company - Makers of the REVA electric car, electric vehicle

Last edited by kkr2k2 : 22nd September 2008 at 19:32.
Old 22nd September 2008, 19:41   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The reva does come with an 80% depreciation and also educational institutions,hospitals and a few other special categories have a subsidy paid by the govt. The maintainence costs are very very low with probably you paying for distilled water to top up the batteries and a replacement set after 3.5 - 4 years. The standard reva does a top speed of 80kmph . I drive a few other very quick cars but believe me when i say that in todays traffic there are very few cars that can beat a Reva and also we do our bit to save the environment.

I'm not against the REVA and also dont understand why you quoted my message

But the batteries are very expensive and if you look at running costs including the battery costs and electricity cost for recharge, then maybe..one should think about it again.
Old 22nd September 2008, 22:20   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

OT : @headers, may be Bobby Jayaram just used the "Quote" button in your msg to reply. I too dont see a connection between your post & his, where he has quoted your msg.

Most Viewed