Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2008, 00:10   #1
BHPian

Question looming on the quality of Indian cars abroad

Hi everyone

This is something i always wanted to see, the whole talk about us being competent and the day we start to sell our local cars to the
world.

The truth as it turns out is somewhat opposite of my emotions for Tata and this great moment.

Not to break your suspense, just watch the video.

I think they are so right.
Old 10th June 2008, 00:41   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhijat View Post
YouTube - Top Gear Season 4, Ep 1, Part 3/6

Hi everyone

This is something i always wanted to see, the whole talk about us being competent and the day we start to sell our local cars to the
world.

The truth as it turns out is somewhat opposite of my emotions for Tata and this great moment.

Not to break your suspense, just watch the video.

Hello mate,
This video is at lest 4 years OLD, when Rover marketed the Indica in UK, I think it was in 2004. Things have changed, 4 years back may be Jeremy Clarkson and Richard Hammond might not have heard about TATA, but now they definately knows as TATA owns the jewels of British car industry (JLR)
Old 10th June 2008, 00:43   #3
BHPian

Come on Abhijat, that's a season 3 episode, we are in season 11 now. It's must be already posted somewhere here. It's very old.
Old 10th June 2008, 00:53   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
  • Is the Porsche 911 a VW beetle with mustard on its bottom?
  • Is the answer to global warming- fast and powerful cars?
  • Is a table carried by four men faster and safer than a Reva/ G-Wiz?
As much as i love top-gear, i think he is an entertainer. His opinions are clearly biased, as he also admits. I dont remember any car having less than 200 bhp getting too much of a praise in top-gear, leave alone the Indica!

Wonder they have to say about TATA now? (Interestingly, they are rather fond of spicy Indian curry!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8guzzler View Post
Come on Abhijat, that's a season 3 episode
Thats Season 4, episode 1- aired on May 9th, 2004.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 10th June 2008 at 00:54.
Old 10th June 2008, 00:58   #5
BHPian

I was aware about the deal going through long time back(and subsequently geting called off too).
I am also aware about it being 2005 season .

My point. Why did Tata do it?

I had actually planned on commenting further here later, but is the date that important?

I also know that mahindra have launched the Scorpio last year in Australia and they received very similar reviews (wheelsmag totally ripped them apart).

Its not the size of the cars we launch abroad, but the quality in question, If Hyundai can make India the export zone why can't our local manufacturers give some thing sale able.

The thing about Tata acquiring someone is out of discussion.
Old 10th June 2008, 00:59   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Moderator's note: Thread reopened with title and context correction from thread starter.

Last edited by theMAG : 10th June 2008 at 01:45.
Old 10th June 2008, 01:00   #7
Senior - BHPian

Firstly, my personal opinion on this is that, who said that a best selling car in India would click in some other nation as well. The priorities in UK are different from those we have in India. They do not walk in to the showroom thinking about fuel efficiency, as many of the people here do. They tested a car without power windows, and complained about it. I do not know why? In UK and especially on TopGear, they care first about power, performance, handling, the lot. Last is the fuel efficiency. Ofcourse, there are people who care about fuel efficiency but why will they bother buying an Indica when they have tons of other hatchbacks at their disposal. I might have done the same if I was in their place. That does not make Indica a lemon.
Old 10th June 2008, 02:08   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
Firstly, my personal opinion on this is that, who said that a best selling car in India would click in some other nation as well. The priorities in UK are different from those we have in India. They do not walk in to the showroom thinking about fuel efficiency, as many of the people here do. They tested a car without power windows, and complained about it. I do not know why? In UK and especially on TopGear, they care first about power, performance, handling, the lot. Last is the fuel efficiency. Ofcourse, there are people who care about fuel efficiency but why will they bother buying an Indica when they have tons of other hatchbacks at their disposal. I might have done the same if I was in their place. That does not make Indica a lemon.
I totally agree with you different countries and different priorities. Indica is not a lemon of a car here and anyone who drives around would know that for a fact.

Its more about how you prepare when you take your exams, Home work is important and they don't have any excuse for that.

Even Kia sells some units abroad and its coming from a very small background.Hhansyoun receives better reviews abroad.
These cars are also coming from countries that faced equal levels of adversities and in comparison small resources and very similar legacy.

Just think this through as an Indian abroad i would prefer buying an Indian car just for the emotional pleasure, if only we had some thing that can stand in competition and sell not embarrass me.

Still waiting for that day.
Old 10th June 2008, 05:53   #9
ray

I've got 2 words: Stop Whinning!

Quote:
I was aware about the deal going through long time back(and subsequently geting called off too).
I am also aware about it being 2005 season .

My point. Why did Tata do it?
Why did Tata do what??

Tata never sold the CityRover - it was marketed and price by Rover. The criticism of the CityRover was that it was priced well beyond the quality and power levels it offered. If priced correctly the CityRover would not have attracted the criticism that it did. As for TopGear - its a TV shows fullstop.

Quote:
I also know that mahindra have launched the Scorpio last year in Australia and they received very similar reviews (wheelsmag totally ripped them apart).
As for the Mahindra in Australia - the Scorpio has yet to be introduced. What is sold here is the Pik-up (a Scorpio with a tray on the back). As for critcism - its been surprisingly positive. The Pik-up has received balanced reviews, with most commentating that it does what it was built for - a hardy workhorse (about the only issue is that it does not come with ABS or Airbags).

Read this --> Mahindra Pik-Up: fit for the job | carsguide.com.au
Old 10th June 2008, 12:41   #10
BHPian

Old news.. The good part is that the Japs, then the Koreans were at the receiving end of similar stuff for ages and look where they are now. We will get there much faster..
Old 10th June 2008, 14:56   #11
BHPian

There is nothing inherently inferior about Indian car makers or technical talent, so stop whining.

The cars we have, like those made by Tata and Mahindra were designed for India with Indian roads, Indian consumers and their priorities, and and Indian prices in mind. As these companies go global its just a matter of time before they make cars to the specifications of the global customer.

In the mean time, the cars like Indica or Telcoline pickup have their own strengths. In SA the telcoline was much ridiculed because it had only basic features and lacked the fancy looks of the Toyotas and Nissans. However over time it has got a reputation as a vehicle that can be abused and just never breaks. The fundamentals are strong, though stuff like the interiors and plastics might not be the best. Similarly, there are many people whose Indicas were literally underwater during the Mumbai floods a couple of years back, but generally all it took was basic servicing to get them back and running - I would like to see any of the fancy cars that Mr. Clarkson likes, being able to take that kind of abuse.
Old 10th June 2008, 15:18   #12

from my point of view, europeans are too oriented to branding image, as car is not only a vehicle to move but something to be "seen with" and a kind of life style also. That means added value, or more margin benefit for the carmaker.
Then, Tata and Mahindra (the later introduced few months ago to Spain) has the handicap of image brand building, where everything must be done yet.
for instance, Tata use well know spanish actors of sitcoms/ tv series who in the adverts speak about the Tata cars (nowadays the Xenon/Telco replacement).
It's all question of time, I suppose. One good example is Dacia (the rumanian branch of Renault) as the started with the Logan in the Indica bottom market price league, and now the try to expand to other segments as the SUV, hatchbacks and so on.
Old 10th June 2008, 16:15   #13
Senior - BHPian

Abhijat , The video is quite old ! I think Tata has learnt quite a lot after that.
Im sure the lessons learnt will be shown in the to be launched New Indica.
I know Tata s quality levels are not upto the mark. Im sure they will have a better reputation in 5 years down the lane. Mahindra too is learning quite fast . Hats off to these 2 manufacturers!
Old 11th June 2008, 01:14   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray View Post
Cars guide does not indulge in criticisms and personal tone reviews, and for a good reason that they have vested interests in their source being different media sections.
I think i quoted the source, as for some personal tone reviews there are many and i never wanted to quote them (i like the scorpio/the pickup myself and do not think they are right)
http://www.caradvice.com.au/4701/200...4x4-road-test/

There have also got pictures of the quality of the product (i don't like their language).

@karanraheja: Yes thats precisely what i would expect them to do, have a great quality product with the new indica, even the engines are moving up a level now (i know they are).
Quote:
Hats off to these 2 manufacturers!
Yes, hats off they are our face to the world.

@chncar: In any discussion keeping your cool is very important otherwise you can lose your power of comprehension. I have not used words like inferior and not even touched upon our technical talent.

On the ending notes, i would like to point it out that despite all the criticisms about quality, when the koreans and Japanese were entering these markets we never had the internet. Now everything gets pulled through a big magnifying glass, which will only mean more improvement.
These are awakening times for Indian automotive industry and I hope we have a very reputable home grown industry in times to come, dishing out some really competitive cars making all the other manufacturers have a run for their money.
Old 11th June 2008, 10:03   #15
Senior - BHPian

Slightly OT but i would love to know what Clarkson has to say about the manufacturer of city rover owning the great British brands J and LR.
I don't know why the Europeans follow Clarkson so much. I think he speaks utter non sense most of the time. ( No offence meant to fans of topgear and clarkson; these are just my views)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks