Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2008, 08:48   #1
BHPian

Toll Taxes: Are they really justified?

This question was looming in my mind since i was at the rear seat of my car about 5-6 years back & still today when i drive.

On my recent trip to Jammu, i had to shell out Rs. 245 as part of the toll tax for a journey of 590 kms. Leaving out the toll tax at J & K Border(Rs. 70), from Delhi to Jalandhar for a distance of 372 kms the toll tax is Rs. 175 i.e. appx 50 paisa per km.

Though, the roads are fine, 4 lanes (people make them 6-lanes while overtaking like maniacs) but what about the towns & cities that come in between the highways.

In Punjab, even small towns & pinds are situated right in the middle of the highway. Then, what is the use of thrashing the accelerator at 120+km/hr at free roads & then travelling at 30 odd in these cities. Your avg. spped comes out to be 60 odd for the whole distance which is the speed in Delhi then why charge taxes.

Also, there are some other reasons:

1. The people sitting on those desktops in the collection huts are so dumb that they don't know how to press Ctrl+P. They do it by the conventional click method.

2. The person standing outside are such fools. an example yesterday when i was returning back from Jammu, at the Karnal toll tax i gave 70 Rs.. The toll charges are 70 rs. for single side & 105 for multiple entry.
The person asked me "Ek paase ya dou paase" .(Single side or double side). I was so pissed that i asked him gimme for both the sides.

3. The govt. is charging Cess/Tax in petrol which is there for highway construction & maintenance.

I believe that though toll taxes should be there but then proper facilities should also be provided!!
Old 10th June 2008, 11:05   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varun.ppl View Post
Though, the roads are fine, 4 lanes (people make them 6-lanes while overtaking like maniacs) but what about the towns & cities that come in between the highways.

Also, there are some other reasons:

1. The people sitting on those desktops in the collection huts are so dumb that they don't know how to press Ctrl+P. They do it by the conventional click method.

2. The person standing outside are such fools. an example yesterday when i was returning back from Jammu, at the Karnal toll tax i gave 70 Rs.. The toll charges are 70 rs. for single side & 105 for multiple entry.
The person asked me "Ek paase ya dou paase" .(Single side or double side). I was so pissed that i asked him gimme for both the sides.

3. The govt. is charging Cess/Tax in petrol which is there for highway construction & maintenance.

I believe that though toll taxes should be there but then proper facilities should also be provided!!
I cannot comment much on the highway you did, but as i have done quite a bit of NH-4 (comes under GQ) will comment on it. Well! there are many tolls up on this nice highway and well as they are well maintained throughout the year (except for some bad patches which i believe they are done as well on this highway) I don't mind paying as long as they are well maintained.

Regarding the single and double toll tickets, i ain't sure why you were pissed off as the double pass (up and down) is valid for a specific amount of time (say 24 or 48 hrs as such) which i think you might be aware as well. That is the reason i think that guy asked you that query .

I know that with rising fuel prices and these tolls as well, people get frustrated with the pricing. But again if its maintained they why should there be any regrets for such prices. Its just my thought.

Last edited by VJ_MAVRICK : 10th June 2008 at 11:07.
Old 10th June 2008, 11:14   #3
Senior - BHPian

I am not sure if it is rightly justified. but it solves my purpose.

The reasons you mentioned is not acceptable by me - regarding the person working in the collection house you mentioned,
Do you know how many people sitting in the bank know to use the Mouse properly before couple of years? There are still educated people who dont know to operate the computer properly. Its not that they are dumb, but they need time to get used to.

Also, the bank guys are much faster in doing the calculation in mind than using the computer (includes the keys he needs to type, menus to get in etc...) This we would have seen in many places.

I am not sure of those Tolls, but I constantly use the one in GQ for my travel to bangalore and Chennai. I feel the guys are ok and they clear the traffic faster and efficient. Regarding facilities, I see some places are comming up with shops, ambulance service, water etc.. So, it still in the path of progress...
Old 10th June 2008, 11:20   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJ_MAVRICK View Post

Regarding the single and double toll tickets, i ain't sure why you were pissed off as the double pass (up and down) is valid for a specific amount of time (say 24 or 48 hrs as such) which i think you might be aware as well. That is the reason i think that guy asked you that query .
Quote:
Originally Posted by varun.ppl View Post
I think he was pissed at the attendants stupidity. If he has given Rs 70, how can he be wanting a multiple entry pass worth Rs 105.
Old 10th June 2008, 12:20   #5
Team-BHP Support

I don't mind paying toll if the road is good. NH1 at one time was worthy of toll, but recently with unchecked growth of towns on the sides, it becomes like a in city road.
Inspite of there being a clear law about no liquor vends on highway sides, a lot of them exist.
The Police is more interested in taking 400rs from those overspeeding, and turn a blind eye to all other traffic hazards(encroachment, wrong side driving, drag racing tractors etc.,) Moreover some stretches even have potholes, and on state borders trucks are stopped for checking and Hafta collection leading to hour long delays.
This is pure cheating by NHAI, and the if you can't beat them join them.

Therefore under these circumstances I always try to avoid paying toll whenever possible.
Old 10th June 2008, 12:24   #6
Senior - BHPian

On NH8, previously there were jams but no tolls. Now there is a toll of Rs. 17 one way and jams continue. However, situation is better with a 30% chance of jam on a trip compared with 2-3 jams everyday. However, DS Constructions is only interested in collecting toll. There is no access control (2W/3W not allowed) as promised, breakdowns take a long time to clear, and there is total mess at the toll gate with everyone taking sudden sharp lefts and rights and reverses. Tag takes 5 minutes (at peak hours) but cash/card takes 15-20 mins.
Old 10th June 2008, 13:41   #7
Senior - BHPian

My question is: why have this toll at all? Don't we pay income tax? Don't we pay taxes etc while purchasing a vehicle? Its Govt's duty to provide us good roads which they haven't done in the last 60 years or so. Can anyone make me understand this toll funda?
Old 10th June 2008, 13:45   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
My question is: why have this toll at all? Don't we pay income tax? Don't we pay taxes etc while purchasing a vehicle? Its Govt's duty to provide us good roads which they haven't done in the last 60 years or so. Can anyone make me understand this toll funda?
All over the world the new expressways are partially funded via toll.
Its only in India that heavily potholed roads(For Example Chandigarh highway stretch near Ropar) are covered by Toll.
Old 10th June 2008, 14:40   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
My question is: why have this toll at all? Don't we pay income tax?
Not everyone pays income tax na ?

But I understand what you are saying. Our GQs & NS/SW highways aren't exactly GREAT highways worthy of any toll. It is the basic infrastructure that a government should provide. Of course if they give us some hi speed tunnels or flyovers, then the toll is justified.
Old 10th June 2008, 14:41   #10
Senior - BHPian

The toll roads are mostly PPP. Hence they collect the toll taxes till the time they recover the costs. Correct me if i'am wrong.
Old 10th June 2008, 14:54   #11
Senior - BHPian

I definitly MIND paying toll tax on any public road.

Reason - we pay road tax while buying vehicle. Why?
We pay duties on oil and goods.
We pay octroi on goods when they enter a city.

It is like govt making it compulsory for ppl to pay education tax on top of the education cess that we are already paying ...

Or should we call this as one of the countless instances of mismanagement of money and resources that our administration has a knack of?
Old 10th June 2008, 15:03   #12
Team-BHP Support

saronikar, you are wrong, nowadays even normal roads are taxes supposedly for upkeep and maintenance.
You don't even have a choice of alternate unmaintained road to your destination, and are forced to use a badly maintained toll road.
Old 10th June 2008, 15:18   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by toiingg View Post
I think he was pissed at the attendants stupidity. If he has given Rs 70, how can he be wanting a multiple entry pass worth Rs 105.
A lot of people don't realise that they get a discount when you buy a return pass or double pass.

So I think the attendant was in fact trying to help varun save some money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
All over the world the new expressways are partially funded via toll.
Its only in India that heavily potholed roads(For Example Chandigarh highway stretch near Ropar) are covered by Toll.
May be they are planning & collecting for the future
Old 10th June 2008, 15:18   #14
BHPian

If you take for example the Bangalore -Chennai road via hosur, Krishnagiri etc. The road is fantastic. I dont mind paying the Toll, as the road is awesome, kept very clean and I have seen the people cleaning it on a regular basis, driving nearly every week to chennai and back.

Its a pleasure to drive my Octy on this road. Well planned and well laid out. Just wished there were more better eating joints on this road,

Its very simple if you want quality then you pay for it. I do agree that we are paying so much taxes and cess plus Karnataka has the highest road tax.
Off topic: Hope BSY does reduce the taxes on fuel.
Old 10th June 2008, 15:52   #15
BHPian

Tolls are justified for new/better/alternative roads, and definitely not for a road where one doesn't have any alternative. We pay road tax for that.
However, I do not mind paying a bit of toll since the benefits almost always far exceed the cost.
The toll on Hosur-Krishnagiri stretch of GQ is acceptable. However, the one at L&T bypass in coimbatore is too steep, 26 Rs for a 20 km stretch?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks