Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2008, 22:55   #16
Senior - BHPian

There are not many options in the under 10 lakh segment for autos except for the Santro and the NHC. As mentioned earlier Maruti AT boxes were horrible and very unreliable. They were 3 speed boxes and came in the Esteem, Zen and Wagon R. The 800 came with a 2 speed auto box and was given to disabled people who bought a certificate issued by the Institute for Handicapped at Haji Ali.

I have owned both the 800 AT for 5 years and a Zen AT for another 5. Though being small cars it was convinient, the gearboxes were horrible and the worst part is none of the authorised service stations had any know how of AT boxes. If you went to them with a problem, they would just give you a blank look. The gearbox of my AT 800 developed an oil leak once due to which the tranny wouldnt change gears. On approacing Vitesse they told me that it would take approx 40,000 rupees to repair and parts would take long to come. Then I went to Mahesh Turning Works at Dadar. Since they are family friends, he mentioned he knew a guy who did ATs. Got him to work on my car. All it took was an oil seal change and a certain gasket in the tranny. Total cost 2500/- rupees. Sold it off 2 years later.

I now drive an OHC AT 1.5 type 2. Maruti should not attempt to make any AT cars I feel. Hyundai on the other hand should get a Getz AT.

ATs are realy a boon in todays traffic and all car makers should offer the option to customers.
Old 29th June 2008, 23:02   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
IIRC, the Cielo as well had an auto tranny model.
Yup, I had the Cielo GLE AT ... loved that car

The 3 Speed Auto Box made the car a big Go Kart
Old 29th June 2008, 23:12   #18
BHPian

santro at, great car for city commutes,and maintainence is fairly decent, the only challenging part is breaking at high speeds, unlike a geared car where one can downshift..
Old 1st July 2008, 12:42   #19
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

> the only challenging part is breaking at high speeds, unlike a geared car
> where one can downshift..

Even in the AT you can come down the gears along with braking to use the engine braking. In my CVT it does not get that much of engine braking, but in the regular automatics, it does work.
Old 1st July 2008, 12:58   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
There are not many options in the under 10 lakh segment for autos except for the Santro and the NHC. As mentioned earlier Maruti AT boxes were horrible and very unreliable. They were 3 speed boxes and came in the Esteem, Zen and Wagon R. The 800 came with a 2 speed auto box and was given to disabled people who bought a certificate issued by the Institute for Handicapped at Haji Ali.

I have owned both the 800 AT for 5 years and a Zen AT for another 5. Though being small cars it was convinient, the gearboxes were horrible and the worst part is none of the authorised service stations had any know how of AT boxes. If you went to them with a problem, they would just give you a blank look. The gearbox of my AT 800 developed an oil leak once due to which the tranny wouldnt change gears. On approacing Vitesse they told me that it would take approx 40,000 rupees to repair and parts would take long to come. Then I went to Mahesh Turning Works at Dadar. Since they are family friends, he mentioned he knew a guy who did ATs. Got him to work on my car. All it took was an oil seal change and a certain gasket in the tranny. Total cost 2500/- rupees. Sold it off 2 years later.

I now drive an OHC AT 1.5 type 2. Maruti should not attempt to make any AT cars I feel. Hyundai on the other hand should get a Getz AT.

ATs are realy a boon in todays traffic and all car makers should offer the option to customers.
Hey Dippy, a bit OT, but just curious to know the FE of AT cars. I have heard this is very low (3-4 kmpl lesser than same car in the MT option).

Since you have owned them for such a long time, can you comment on the same?
Old 1st July 2008, 13:00   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
In my CVT it does not get that much of engine braking, but in the regular automatics, it does work.
Shift into S mode and you will get more engine braking than you would want, definatly a lot more than regular automatics.
Old 1st July 2008, 18:40   #22
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Hey Dippy, a bit OT, but just curious to know the FE of AT cars. I have heard this is very low (3-4 kmpl lesser than same car in the MT option).

Since you have owned them for such a long time, can you comment on the same?
Not a deficit of 3 - 4. 1 - 2 kpl lesser is more realistic, but then again it depends from car to car.
Old 1st July 2008, 19:31   #23
Senior - BHPian

Hi Sahil,

> Shift into S mode and you will get more engine braking than you would want, > definatly a lot more than regular automatics.

In a recent drive down the hills from Munnar, I did use this. In a regular automatic you have more ratios to come down. In the CVT L is real low and I did not try that.

The CVT was enjoyable both up and down the hills. Incidentally I was happy to leave the box in D for the drive up.
Old 1st July 2008, 22:28   #24
Senior - BHPian

I found an Ad in a an Auto magazine last week for an after market Semi Automatic accessory? Is that adviseable to fit one? And how does that work actually?

Thanks,
Old 2nd July 2008, 15:12   #25
Senior - BHPian

HI benny,

> ]I found an Ad in a an Auto magazine last week for an after market Semi
> Automatic accessory? Is that adviseable to fit one? And how does that work > actually?

Take a look at the following place:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...-automate.html

I did have it in my Indica. Now the same unit is doing duty in an Alto in Bangalore and the user was happy with it.

Please post if you have any query in the above thread. This is probably off topic here.
Old 6th July 2008, 20:27   #26
BHPian

I am using a Lancer Invex since last two years and enjoying it. This has a tiptronic transmission. I am thinking in lines of buying an automatic Grand Vitara, in case you are interested PM me. I am located in Delhi
Old 7th July 2008, 15:22   #27
Senior - BHPian

If anyone wants to enjoy an automatic and is willing to splurge upwards of 13 lakhs, the Civic AT is an awesome buy. Its a 5 speed Autotranny unlike the Corolla. It comes with Paddle shift too.. Relive your F1 fantasies with it...

Realistically its a nice thing to have an AT, especially in Bangalore with all its stop go traffic.

Mileage is less by a 1-1.5 kms from the manual.
Old 8th July 2008, 00:59   #28
BHPian

Any BHPians in Bangalore have a Santro AT? I need a small favour in terms of TD as I'm planning to buy one for my wife but dont know how it behaves.

Any help would be greatly Appreciated!!
Old 6th September 2008, 11:36   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsaLove View Post
Any BHPians in Bangalore have a Santro AT? I need a small favour in terms of TD as I'm planning to buy one for my wife but dont know how it behaves.

Any help would be greatly Appreciated!!
You can TD my car - PM me for my contact
Old 6th September 2008, 12:32   #30
BHPian

My aunt has a Santro AT and she is very happy with it. Gets about 9-10 in city driving. However, i would probably go for i10 since its a more modern design, with better fit and finish, safety, new engine

Most Viewed