Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2008, 03:07   #16
BANNED

i remember them selling this car for 9.5 laks i said you can get a city in that price they said our product is better, i said its a hatch they said its a big car compared to the city. in india anything without an *** no matter if big its hard to sell. they should sell this at 5.5 with the swift then they might get sales. lol
Old 11th June 2008, 05:45   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
Now GM is doing what Ford India did with the Ikon. Keep high prices in the beginning 7 when the damn thing does not sell, just drop the prices. Buyers who have invested in it really feel cheated. They also tend to suffer in aftermarket prices BIG time.
Didn't Hyundai do the same with the Accent?
Atleast with the Ikon, ford introduced a stripped down variant with a smaller engine at a lower price.

IMHO, no matter what GM does, the SR-V will simply not take off. I feel they launched it too early when people were not willing to pay 8L for a hatch. Things are changing now but the damage has already been done. Also, as Jesal said, the car had really tough competitors like the NHC in a market that had a mentality of size over practicality.
Which logical indian (not us here) would buy a Chevrolet Hatchback when he can get a Honda sedan at the same price. GM simply doesn't have the brand value to make possible buyers even look at it, forget giving it a second look.

Last edited by lamborghini : 11th June 2008 at 05:47.
Old 11th June 2008, 07:46   #18
BHPian

SRV has got good sporty looks.If they introduce SRV diesel definitely it will affect the sales of optra magnum.May be that is why they dont want to introduce the SRV diesel.
Old 11th June 2008, 08:59   #19
BHPian

I always liked the looks of the SRV, never driven it, but yes, if it was prised right at the begining and maybe had a desile option, who knows may have been a hit. Anyways Look wise, it has my vote.
Old 11th June 2008, 11:42   #20
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
I feel they launched it too early when people were not willing to pay 8L for a hatch. Things are changing now but the damage has already been done.
I don't think that the scenario has changed too much; Indians are still unwilling to pay 8 lacs for a hatch. The Fabia isn't exactly selling well, though I know of one too many who bought the Fabia for the *badge* alone. 8 lakhs for a Chevy hatch? No ways.
Old 11th June 2008, 11:48   #21
Senior - BHPian

I think they are going to discontinue the SRV after they finish clearing existing stock
Old 11th June 2008, 13:22   #22
Senior - BHPian

Well, I think it is a good price now. I feel it is the best-looking hatch in India.
Old 11th June 2008, 14:00   #23
BHPian

srv sure has the best looking rear end in the business.. the front though looks like its out of a non descript car from the 90s
Old 11th June 2008, 14:19   #24
Senior - BHPian

Abhijat, Delhi is the only city in India where you'll still see many SRVs daily. Nowhere else.
Old 11th June 2008, 14:49   #25
Senior - BHPian

The SRV looks really good. But I was completely turned off after driving it once - engine was sluggish, gear was rubbery.
Plonk in the Magnum engine+tranny, price it at ~6.5L. Sales should pick up. I would definitely be interested. Would be better VFM than the Getz CRDI and Fabia. Could also provide competition to the Fiat Grande Punto when it is eventually launched.
Is GM listening?
Old 11th June 2008, 17:12   #26
BHPian

I was keen to know about any discount on the SRV diesel and I didn't even know that it does not yet exist. SRV with magnum diesel specs except for the boot would have been really cool.
Old 11th June 2008, 17:27   #27
BHPian

I wonder if GM could tap into their past relationship with FIAT and get the SRV with the 1.3 MJTD engine. It would be extremely fuel efficient and plus with high localisation would allow them to cut the price.

I think one of the main reasons it is not selling well is because of it looks which are just average. Plus GM's after sales service doesn't help either.
Old 11th June 2008, 17:47   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude131 View Post
I think one of the main reasons it is not selling well is because of it looks which are just average.
I find it a pretty attractive car actually, as do several people I know. I think it's not done well because it doesn't move as well as it looks - engine & transmission are average, and I'm not sure about its handling characteristics either. The price is pretty steep too. Finally, it's a HATCH!
Old 11th June 2008, 17:55   #29
BANNED

Post edited by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT use external picture hosts such as photobucket, imageshack etc. Your pictures have been reloaded via the Team-BHP Attachment system. We advise you to read our board rules carefully, before proceeding any further.

Hey buddy, looks is only one area where SRV gets THUMPS UP. Rest of the areas, THUMPS DOWN.

This proves just looks don't get you anywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude131 View Post
I think one of the main reasons it is not selling well is because of it looks which are just average.

Last edited by GTO : 12th June 2008 at 10:34.
diabloo is offline   Received Infraction
Old 11th June 2008, 18:15   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
This is clearly GM getting rid of old stock; the SRV never did sell. Though I have never been a fan of the car, I do admit that its not a bad deal at 6.5 lakhs!
IMHO, Old stock means you have another problem of reliability. You do not know for how long and in what condition the stock has been lying. So there's a real chance of the dealer serving his customer a lemon while paying for an orange.

Most Viewed