Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2008, 20:12   #31
BHPian

please, the evo x ! it rocks !

Last edited by scorp 1 : 12th June 2008 at 20:15.
Old 12th June 2008, 20:26   #32
Senior - BHPian

After seeing pix of Trekker, I shudder to think what if HM comes up with something as ridiculous looking. HM, please leave all that car launching business to Mitsu. And, Mitsu, wake up from your slumber and give us a new Lancer.
Old 12th June 2008, 20:55   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Something tells me that we really shouldn't be looking forward to this cars launch. This is what happened the last time they attempted to "on its own develop a car".

Attachment 20616

Attachment 20617
Please dont undermine the masterpiece this car was. It was a vehicle with many identities, spared from any cosmetic liabilities. This can carry many people, some on the running boards, some hanging from the roof, has a huge internal space. Isn't top heavy as other people movers in its segment are, as it is actually based on Amby internals. If only this was given the right engine, which HM always had at their disposal, with cross ply tyres, a total "initial D" material. There has never been a vehicle like this in India. It deserves a little bit more respect than what comes naturally by the use of the word "contraption" associated with it.

Well, almost true.
Old 12th June 2008, 21:09   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Please dont undermine the masterpiece this car was. It was a vehicle with many identities, spared from any cosmetic liabilities. This can carry many people, some on the running boards, some hanging from the roof, has a huge internal space. Isn't top heavy as other people movers in its segment are, as it is actually based on Amby internals. If only this was given the right engine, which HM always had at their disposal, with cross ply tyres, a total "initial D" material. There has never been a vehicle like this in India. It deserves a little bit more respect than what comes naturally by the use of the word "contraption" associated with it.

Well, almost true.
also this is one vehicle in which many of us got our driving tests done and passed with flying colors !! ( its so easy to do a H in this one ! )
Old 12th June 2008, 21:19   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

I have a feeling this will be a basic people mover.
Old 13th June 2008, 09:40   #36

There is no point to criticize HM. Go back to 25 years, who was ruling the automobile industry? Was there anybody other than HM? come back and see most of the ruling and adminstrative people are using and believing the same. Moreover still then its the largest brand carrying people from different sectors regardless their power, money and prestiege.
Old 13th June 2008, 09:56   #37
Senior - BHPian

I have got a new link:

Hindustan Motors to launch new passenger car in October

I hope that its a new lancer and not a new/Old Wine in new bottle product from HM.
Old 13th June 2008, 18:55   #38
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It was a vehicle with many identities, spared from any cosmetic liabilities. This can carry many people, some on the running boards, some hanging from the roof, has a huge internal space. Isn't top heavy as other people movers in its segment are, as it is actually based on Amby internals. If only this was given the right engine, which HM always had at their disposal, with cross ply tyres, a total "initial D" material.
I am sure it is good at ferrying people. So were the LWB Mahindra jugad Jeeps and Tempo Traxes. But that isnt a function of masterpiece engineering; it is one of simply strengthening certain parts of the chassis to cope up with staple Indian overloading habits. Just like Tata trucks.

What has HM done to come up with that contraption? Simply took parts from one vehicle or the other, and welded them together. Just look at those ghastly body panels.

Show me a Nano, Indica, Safari, Scorpio and I will show you pride. These are true examples of Indian value engineering, and products that have given their Japanese / European competitors a run for their money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samya View Post
Go back to 25 years, who was ruling the automobile industry?
Exactly my point. Companies like HM and Premier do well when they are protected. Throw in competitive winds and they perish. Well, almost. For a company that *ruled* the Indian scenario once upon a time, their current standing is embarassing. Just look at Mahindra & Tata! They were children of the protection era too, heck Tata didn't even make a non-UV until a decade back.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2008, 19:25   #39
BHPian

The Trekker is fun to drive. We have got a second hand car for Just 25K, and used to drive around chennai. With less maintenance and any road side mechanic can fix issues. I felt it is suitable for retired people to move around city and outskirts. Once we have packed 12 people in this vehicle, still it pulled.
Old 13th June 2008, 19:25   #40
Team-BHP Support

Those Trekker pics almost look like some kids drawing with a scale. All straight lines, and out of proportion looks! By the way, did you notice that in both the pics the Trekkers are missing the wipers! Why?
Old 14th June 2008, 08:24   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Those Trekker pics almost look like some kids drawing with a scale. All straight lines, and out of proportion looks! By the way, did you notice that in both the pics the Trekkers are missing the wipers! Why?
Simple because the driver is sitting outside the jeep and driving anyway why waste money on wipers ???
Old 14th June 2008, 09:26   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Well, almost true.

Quoting my own post. The last sentence should indicate that all of the above was acually sarcastic. Generally look at the HM page for Amusement. What more, one firangi client was checking out the Ambassador and saw this particular product and was all-32's. I had to show him Mahindra and Tata websites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyBear View Post
The Trekker is fun to drive. We have got a second hand car for Just 25K, and used to drive around chennai. With less maintenance and any road side mechanic can fix issues. I felt it is suitable for retired people to move around city and outskirts. Once we have packed 12 people in this vehicle, still it pulled.
When I mentioned "Initial D" material, did not imagine somebody supporting that view seriously. That offset/oblique steering column, that high number of turns lock to lock and the "contraption" (thats an understatement) used to have the front and the rear sections rolling differently during cornering. Then the lateral shift of the rear (No I am not speaking about oversteer its the lateral shift of the body with respect to the rear axle) on even slightest steering input. I am talking about brand new cars.

Cosmetics are the last area to complain about that overgrown Auto Rickshaw.
Old 14th June 2008, 21:40   #43
BHPian

Even if they launch an updated version of the RWD Contessa Classic, I'll be a happy man. Of course they need to update the engine, chassis, suspension (I could go on and on).

But I really hope they don't go with a FWD family car, like the rest of the manufacturers in the market.
Old 14th June 2008, 21:53   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I have some fond memories of these machines!! I learnt driving in one of those "trekkers" owned by the driving schools in Kerala. Believe me, it was REALLY great fun, with all those noise around you, the black smoke, the wind-in-the-hair feeling and of course they had the heaviest steering of all times!!! Especially, with a bunch of teenagers in the car (fellow learners!) it was fingerlickin' good. Man, our master had a tough time curbing our enthusiasm. Those were the days, mate!

Guess what! These machines tricked you into believing that you were doing 100 kmph when it was actually doing a third of it! Smart design, eh?

BH.

Last edited by BurningHeart : 14th June 2008 at 21:58. Reason: spelling error
Old 15th June 2008, 20:30   #45
BHPian

If it's another Amby from HM,there is nothing to be ashamed off.Ambassador was and is the most mIndianised car ever built.It may have it's own fads,but is that not which gives a vehicle character and endears it,atleast ,to true blue automotive lovers?Flawless perfomance,impeccable paintwork,electronic gizmos-it makes a reliable and practical car but not the car you love with your heart.The occassional oil leaks,wayside repairs,endless hours that you spend in diognising a noise from the underbody,that clearly audible engine noise inside the cabin-aren't these things which gives the car an identity of it's own?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks