Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2008, 11:38   #16
SuperSyn

What the Suzuki 800 doesn't have is the cachet of the new Nano, but they will easily and comprehensively destroy Tata in post sales service. Just like they are doing at the moment with other models.

For most consumers, the biggest and perhaps the only selling point for Nano would now have to be the low selling price, since the running costs have increased for everyone due to fuel. I doubt there will be any difference in other service related costs too, perhaps the Suzuki might even be slightly cheaper to operate.

The only consolation might be Suzuki's -alleged- constrained output. Poor Rattty.

Old 17th June 2008, 11:45   #17
Senior - BHPian

Was not surprised to read that as MSIL will surely not let TATA win hands down. But it will be interesting to see if people still incline towards 800 over the Nano. Nano does look better IMO.
Old 17th June 2008, 11:49   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
Was not surprised to read that as MSIL will surely not let TATA win hands down. But it will be interesting to see if people still incline towards 800 over the Nano. Nano does look better IMO.

What Suzuki has going for it is impressive image of Maruti 800. The car is known to almost everyone, and they will market it as a better complete car.
In our case, given 1.1 Lakh cost of nano and 1.4 Lakh for Maruti 800, we would go for Maruti 800 when we will be searching for a new small to replace our 86K+ kms done Maruti 800.
Old 17th June 2008, 11:57   #19
Senior - BHPian

It like Sunny & Scooty. The moment Scooty came in to picture, the Sunny was no where in the screen. Similarly, the NANO will clear the M800.
Unless M800 is going to come with more trendy looks, which I doubt.

The other thing is,

Maruti guys are stripping the M800 to match the price. But NANO was built from scratch for the price.

Last edited by mjothi : 17th June 2008 at 11:59.
Old 17th June 2008, 12:00   #20
BHPian

playing around with engine will push up the initial costs for M800. According to me
1. Reduce the margin.
2. Remove anything and everything that they can without compromising the functionality of the vehicle.

For maruti, initial investment on the car will be almost 0. They can always make up for the loss in initial profit in form of services later on. Moreover they can prise it 20-25% costlier than Nano and still drive home the point of reliable car and compete with Tata.
Old 17th June 2008, 12:02   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
It like Sunny & Scooty. The moment Scooty came in to picture, the Sunny was no where in the screen. Similarly, the NANO will clear the M800.
Unless M800 is going to come with more trendy looks, which I doubt.

The other thing is,

Maruti guys are stripping the M800 to match the price. But NANO was built from scratch for the price.
Sunny never was well appreciated by public. It was famous but not appreicated. Maruti 800 here has a strong appreciation from public itself. Clearing Maruti 800 is not possible IMO.
It will be interesting to see.
Old 17th June 2008, 12:28   #22
Senior - BHPian

Actually there is nothing to strip in the 800. Maruti has been taking people for a ride for so many years by charging a high price for its utilitarian tin box on wheels. Now that the competition is coming in for the M800, they have to find some cheap excuse to reduce the price so they strip it furthur.
This will end up making the M800 not 'cheap'(price wise) but 'CHEAP'.
Old 17th June 2008, 12:50   #23
Team-BHP Support

Before drawing into any conclusion, please read this press statement from Maruti to the rumours that Maruti was going to counter TATA's Nano-

Quote:
Summary -
Maruti Suzuki is delighted that various manufacturers are making efforts to offer low cost cars in the segment below Maruti 800

Maruti Suzuki does not plan to foray into this segment

We have been closely associated with our customers and we have noticed how incomes and lifestyles have evolved

To meet the needs of customers, our approach is to offer World Strategic Models like Swift, SX4, Grand Vitara which provide international design and quality to Indian customers at the same time as Europe and Japan
Old 17th June 2008, 12:57   #24
BHPian

What will they strip down from Maruti 800

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude1988765 View Post
Wow what can they strip from the 800 ? Would be really interesting to see. A lot of people would prefer the 800 over the nano. At least i would.
I dont know what will Maruti strip down from 800. M800 is already a bench mark for the small car and striping it down would make it no where near a car. Will it spord non radial tyres, single wiper ?
Old 17th June 2008, 13:00   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
May be some basic seatsat the front, even more basic doors trims, the coil spring rear suspension will make way for leaf springs.

I am expecting 660cc engine from them. 500cc will be too less to proper the car.

Yes 660cc engine could make it to India. The engine is already in use in Japan in Suzuki small cars.
Old 17th June 2008, 13:09   #26
Senior - BHPian

This is a heavily sanitized PR blurb. And the news corroborates that:

Quote:
A Maruti spokesperson denied any plan to launch a stripped-down version of the Maruti 800, but a senior executive in a bank with a large consumer finance business swore it was in the pipeline. "I am 200 per cent sure. My source is Maruti," he said.
Old 17th June 2008, 13:44   #27
Senior - BHPian

I spent some time thinking what exactly it is that MUL can strip from the existing M800 (non-a/c version) so as to make it cost 50K less. And I am frankly clueless. Only thing I can think of is that maybe they would do away with the rear doors (entry for rear seat occupants from the front door, by folding down the seats).

But I am sure MUL is not going to standby and watch Nano run away with its customer base in the lowest car segment. Maybe they might cut prices on the existing M800 models - I guess they can afford to sacrifice their margins.

I have been thinking of getting an M800-DX for some months now. Already was confused about taking the plunge from the time Nano came on the scene, because I did not want to plonk down 2.3L and then see MUL cut prices on entry of Nano. Now, with talks of a stripped down version, I am more confused.
Old 17th June 2008, 13:55   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Likely possibilites:

1. The dash is likely to get fused - like on the Omni - no AC, et all.

2. The meters could be simplified into an all-in-one meter like those that come on entry-level bikes.

3. The engine will be ~ 650 cc to match the Nano's - beyond any other consideration.

4. Expect any internal claddings to go

5. Agrarian and basic seats.

6. Smaller wheels/tyres

7. Only available in solid color paints shades

8. No central locking.
Old 17th June 2008, 14:22   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
They can also try to remove one bolt, one nut, bench seats, smaller dash etc., (how about asking the customer to install his own door locks ?)

That reminds me of Mr. Bean's car!

But seriously, what more can you strip out of a M800?
Old 17th June 2008, 14:26   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
What Suzuki has going for it is impressive image of Maruti 800.
But what MSIL also has is quite dated design in the M800. Nano is a newer model . It will be interesting to see that 1st time car buyers will actually go for a Nano or still stick to a Maruti . But i guess we should see the specs of Stripped down 800 before coming to conclusions.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks