Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2008, 01:03   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
Hey I don't think 800 has brake booster already. Or am I missing something?
Only some models of the 5 speeder came with the brake booster,No other 800 had brake boosters.
Old 18th June 2008, 12:27   #47
BANNED

Guys
I honestly dont know what maruti will omit from 800.May be seats ,headlights ,wipers...
Old 18th June 2008, 14:54   #48
Senior - BHPian

Maybe they will detune the engine further to give more FE and provide the more powerful (current) one for the higher variants.

Any major changes in the car will attract modifications, which in turn will cost money. In my opinion they will lessen their profit margin and perhaps remove things which were already there but we never noticed.
Such as
- no floor, boot carpet.
- one windshield wiper.
- no clear lense headlights/tail lights.
- more basic suspension setup, perhaps going back to leaf springs.
- no disc brake in the front. drums all around.
- more basic seats with little or no padding.
- no high mount stop lamp.
Old 18th June 2008, 14:56   #49
BHPian

Radial Tyres, Double Wipers with multiple modes, Halogen Bulbs, Bucket Seats, AC & Heater, Retractable seatbelts, Metallic Paint etc are some of things that can be eliminated but at the cost of comfort and safety.
Old 18th June 2008, 16:44   #50
BHPian

The 800 was a trendsetter. I fail to understand as to why Maruti should be scared of the Nano. Isn’t that car (Nano) trying to create a new segment of owners by itself and any way a stripped down 800 will give a wrong msg to the existing owners & also the current fence sitters. Nano being a new kid on the block will in all probability attract buyers from all segments to begin with. Another reason why buyers might prefer the Nano is the (claimed) FE, which the 800 cc engine might find it ultra hard to compete with. In fact this is the sole reason why I am looking forward to the Nano.
As far as Highway Driving is concerned, I am sorry but I beg to differ. I have seen ppl travel on the highway (in the night & without proper lighting) on two wheelers also. So what makes ppl say that Nano is not a car for the highways? Come on let’s face it... There are no Autobahns in India still where one can zoom at high speeds, so what’s the point in having a 500 BHP car? Also just look at the state of the highways in the forthcoming months. Each monsoon they develop craters.
IMO a better strategy for Maruti would be to concentrate on selling the stripped down version of the 800 in the rural markets only.
Old 18th June 2008, 17:43   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
The 800 was a trendsetter. I fail to understand as to why Maruti should be scared of the Nano. Isn’t that car (Nano) trying to create a new segment of owners by itself and any way a stripped down 800 will give a wrong msg to the existing owners & also the current fence sitters. Nano being a new kid on the block will in all probability attract buyers from all segments to begin with. Another reason why buyers might prefer the Nano is the (claimed) FE, which the 800 cc engine might find it ultra hard to compete with. In fact this is the sole reason why I am looking forward to the Nano.
As far as Highway Driving is concerned, I am sorry but I beg to differ. I have seen ppl travel on the highway (in the night & without proper lighting) on two wheelers also. So what makes ppl say that Nano is not a car for the highways? Come on let’s face it... There are no Autobahns in India still where one can zoom at high speeds, so what’s the point in having a 500 BHP car? Also just look at the state of the highways in the forthcoming months. Each monsoon they develop craters.
IMO a better strategy for Maruti would be to concentrate on selling the stripped down version of the 800 in the rural markets only.
Fully agery with you, there is not much sence to reduce the rates of the existing car. Neno is a new segment car in the world. I think they have already given the concept car which is coming in the year 2011.(Correct me if I am wrong.)

Neno on highway performance is to be seen... because the way National Highway driveing is, is a different then city.
Old 18th June 2008, 17:55   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERRO View Post
Post deleted.

It looks like a personal attack. and it's not the first time. We urge you to keep out of this, henceforth. Thanks.
OT: It certainly looks intentional. Mods - well done. But it made me laugh. Taking your name literally. No offense buddy.

The M800 is not unsafe, it is built extremely well for a 2 lacs car and it gives 15+ kmpl in the city, has reasonable power and so on. But a stripped fown version will be disaster IMHO.

How can you strip when you don't have any clothes on?

Last edited by Proxima : 18th June 2008 at 17:57.
Old 18th June 2008, 19:34   #53
BHPian

Thanks Rudra Sen for editing the post, my most humble apologies to anyone who has read and taken offense to my previous posts it was meant to be in humor.

Note from the Support staff: The last comment was totally unnecessary, and has been removed. Please refrain from posting such inflammatory comments made in bad taste. Thanks!

Last edited by aah78 : 20th June 2008 at 21:27. Reason: See note.
Old 18th June 2008, 20:45   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
Maybe they will detune the engine further to give more FE and provide the more powerful (current) one for the higher variants.

Any major changes in the car will attract modifications, which in turn will cost money. In my opinion they will lessen their profit margin and perhaps remove things which were already there but we never noticed.
Such as
- no floor, boot carpet.
- one windshield wiper.
- no clear lense headlights/tail lights.
- more basic suspension setup, perhaps going back to leaf springs.
- no disc brake in the front. drums all around.
- more basic seats with little or no padding.
I dont think they will eliminate the wipers to one wiper, but then going to leaf springs, basic seats, high mount stop lamp are some areas where they will do a compromise.

I dont think that Maruti will give drum brakes at front, or will give standard bulbs.

Cutting on seats, suspension, tyres and may be a little more basic dashboard will make them meet their goal.
Old 18th June 2008, 21:34   #55
BHPian

this is bound to happen and it's the way to go for Maruti to fight the Nano. If this happens people will prefer the proven M800 any day to the unproven Nano despite the ageing design.
Old 19th June 2008, 13:35   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
I think the HMSL is a regulatory requirement so don't know if they will remove that.
Old 19th June 2008, 16:26   #57
Senior - BHPian

I believe if Maruti is going to take a shot at Nano it should do it with a proper effort and start from a clean sheet of paper, heck everyone knows such a car will sell.

Stripping the 800 and expecting it to compete with the Nano will be a disaster. The 800 is an icon and has played a major role in making private transport affordable to India. But its nearly 25 years old, how long will Maruti continue milking it.

The Nano will be more spacious, fuel efficient and safer. To top it all it will have a huge novelty value attatched to it. What does Maruti expect a stripped 800 to do here. If these potential customers wanted an 800 they should have aldready got one, atleast an excellent second hand one at 1.5 lacs.

I hope Maruti does the decent thing and let the 800 retire and die a natural death, This car made Maruti what its today and deserves it rather than think of new ways of milking it more. What next an 800 pick up version to take on the Tata ace.

If Maruti has finally decided to take on the Nano, Great. Please let it be a Modern and safe one please, Heck after all these years of buying Marutis we Indians deserve a 1.5 lac Maruti.
Old 19th June 2008, 20:29   #58
BHPian

This is a very interesting link:
2nd car buyers overtake first-timers in Nano race

Nano makes perfect sense as a second or third car and it seems a lot of people think so too. There are lot of urban people who buy their kids each a bike for 60k but perhaps wont spring for a separate car for each of their kids. I think they would gladly buy a Nano instead of a bike.

So a lot of people who own much more high-end cars, and normally wouldnt be seen dead in an M800, are interested in the Alto. Tata just needs to get some celebs on board like Toyota has with the Prius and it could become a style-icon.

Puts a different perspective on Maruti trying to compete with the Nano by making the 800 even more low-end. As I see it, the high end Nano (with AC, CVT, Diesel engine) can actually kill the normal 800 and decrease sales of Alto, given that it has better space and mileage, lower cost, and is claimed to be safer as it is more modern design.
Old 20th June 2008, 09:05   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar
So a lot of people who own much more high-end cars, and normally wouldnt be seen dead in an M800, are interested in the Alto.
Wouldn't be seen dead in an M800, but would buy the Alto. Hmm. Both are almost the same cars from the same segment (lowest) with just some cosmetic differences. How different are they in terms of engine, space, other specs etc. And what about pricing ? A few thousands more. I do like the Alto, but am planning for an M800 (for some reasons) though I do not see any reason to feel ashamed of being seen in one.

Quote:
Tata just needs to get some celebs on board like Toyota has with the Prius and it could become a style-icon.
Prius is a style-icon due to being env-friendly. But clubbing the Nano with it is taking it a little too far IMO. But I guess the smilie indicates this comment of yours was in jest.

Quote:
the high end Nano (with AC, CVT, Diesel engine) can actually kill the normal 800 and decrease sales of Alto, given that it has better space and mileage, lower cost, and is claimed to be safer as it is more modern design.
We know or atleast were told that it is spacious than the M800. Fine. But the mileage, price etc are still unknown variables. And just because a car is new, does not make it safer - as you yourself said, it is just a claim.

BTW, though a little OT here, I did not want to start a new thread for this : There was an advt in the paper yesterday for Alto and M800 and the FE for Alto was indicated as 17.6kmpl, while for M800 it was 16.8 which surprised me. I was thinking all along that the M800 would be more FE due to being lower on power than the Alto and also being significantly lighter than Alto. Any tech inputs on why Alto is more FE ?
Old 20th June 2008, 11:07   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Wouldn't be seen dead in an M800, but would buy the Alto. Hmm. Both are almost the same cars from the same segment (lowest) with just some cosmetic differences. How different are they in terms of engine, space, other specs etc. And what about pricing ? A few thousands more. I do like the Alto, but am planning for an M800 (for some reasons) though I do not see any reason to feel ashamed of being seen in one. ?
Sorry I meant Nano, not Alto. I could not edit my previous post so I just let it be.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks