Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2008, 14:22   #16
rippergeo

I'm in no position to calculate the FE of my Palio 1.2 with GPS. I sold it many years ago. but we used to run an M800, an MM540 and a zen at the same time, and it used to hurt a lot more when the palio went to the petrol pump.

if driven slowly, for FE- I could squeeze 12kmpl. if driven like the M800 Mpfi, I'd be lucky if i got 8kmpl.

odo calibration or not, the palio 1.2 was a heavy car with poor low end torque and had lousy FE when driven to keep up with traffic.

now I shall hang a sign on my neck saying bash me, curl up, and lie on the floor.

Old 17th June 2008, 14:36   #17
BHPian

good to hear this..

FIAT, always....
Old 17th June 2008, 14:36   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
As far as what I read in ACI years ago, the Brazilian Palio had a different tyre size and hence, the calibration of the odo was different. Fiat India changed the tyres for India, but forgot to callibrate the odo for Indian Palio's tires, hence the distance shown by the odo was actually less as compared to the actual distance travelled by the car. Therefore, the FE was measured lower. Apparently, they corrected the odo callibration starting from NV models.
I remember reading this on Autocar India too, what a stupid mistake by Fiat, especially when they tested the vehicles for some many thousands of km before launch.
Old 17th June 2008, 14:37   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
if driven slowly, for FE- I could squeeze 12kmpl. if driven like the M800 Mpi, I'd be lucky if i got 8kmpl.
Even I drive for FE but so is the case with all the other biggish hatchbacks. If driven for performance even they will fare the same.
Old 17th June 2008, 14:44   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
odo calibration or not, the palio 1.2 was a heavy car with poor low end torque and had lousy FE when driven to keep up with traffic.
Palio is heavy due to a reason - Build quality!
I have come across quite lot of accidents involving a Palio, where Palio was damaged to a total loss, but the occupants came out unhurt!
Also, it is a built to last car, my 4 year Palio doesn't have any rattles!

lousy FE?
I get 12 - 13 kmpl in City with my spirited driving, I mean I rip on fast moving roads.

Now, if you need a tinny car with excellent FE, you have lot of options in the market starting from 2 lakh onwards!

Last edited by finneyp : 17th June 2008 at 14:58.
Old 17th June 2008, 14:46   #21
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Even I drive for FE but so is the case with all the other biggish hatchbacks. If driven for performance even they will fare the same.
you have a point there. the swift petrol is pretty much the same.
but what other biggish hatchbacks did you have in mind?

Old 17th June 2008, 14:46   #22
Senior - BHPian

This would be a good start to check all the vehicles in India. Maybe everyone with a GPS and different cars should check to see how their odos misbehave.
Old 17th June 2008, 14:55   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
you have a point there. the swift petrol is pretty much the same.
but what other biggish hatchbacks did you have in mind?
Getz, Swift as you said, Aveo UVA.
Old 17th June 2008, 15:17   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
So who is wrong here? I don't think Fiat India, they did the right thing! It was other Car makers, who calibrated their odos 10% more than the actual, to claim higher FE figures!
Going by that logic, FIAT is cheating its Brazilian customers in the same way!

As the odo was not caliberated even though tyre size changed, the odo of the original (Brazil, its parent market) palio will give higher readings.
Old 17th June 2008, 15:17   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I read across forums and hear it from people that the Palio 1.2 NV or not is not fuel efficient.
My Palio is almost dead accurate with hardly a difference of .2kmph or .3 kmph @ 60 compared to the reading on GPS.
Okay, so you mean your Pre-NV Odo is dead accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Apparently, the tyre size was changed in India for accommodating our bad roads. But, the great FIAT engineers didnt bother about recalibrating the speedo gearing for the different tyre size.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
Apparently, they corrected the odo callibration starting from NV models.
From above posts of nitrous and deepakhon, I understand pre-NV Odo were reading lesser Kms than actual. The Odo error was corrected in NV models.

If this is true, did FIAT re-calibrate NV Odos to inflate fuel efficiency figures? As per extreme-Torque, his GPS and Odo readings are matched, so no Odo error on Pre-NV Palios. Then where is the question of re-calibration and odd Brazilian story?

Conspiracy?cheers:

Last edited by WhiteKnight : 17th June 2008 at 15:18.
Old 17th June 2008, 15:43   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
Okay, so you mean your Pre-NV Odo is dead accurate.
The speedo's almost dead accurate and odo under reads. You would like to read my post again... isnt?

Quote:
From above posts of nitrous and deepakhon, I understand pre-NV Odo were reading lesser Kms than actual. The Odo error was corrected in NV models.

If this is true, did FIAT re-calibrate NV Odos to inflate fuel efficiency figures?
I repeat my odo under reads so if Fiat recaliberated the odo in NV, how does that amount to "inflating figures".

Quote:
As per extreme-Torque, his GPS and Odo readings are matched, so no Odo error on Pre-NV Palios. Then where is the question of re-calibration and odd Brazilian story?

Conspiracy?cheers:
You have to read my post again
Old 17th June 2008, 15:46   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Going by that logic, FIAT is cheating its Brazilian customers in the same way!

As the odo was not caliberated even though tyre size changed, the odo of the original (Brazil, its parent market) palio will give higher readings.
How do you know brazlilian market palio over read? I cant see any logic behind your statement. Besides I am talking about the Indian Palio so can we continue our discussion on the same.
Old 17th June 2008, 16:10   #28
Senior - BHPian

ET, after I re-read your first post, I realized that Fiat India did overlook the odo calibration thing when they launched the Brazilian spec'd Palio in India, they changed the tyre spec for India but retained the Brazilian odo calibration, and as you noted there was a odo under-read of 3%, which resulted in lower FE figures (actually it was not) and the rumours flew thick & fast & dented the sales of Palio.

Though, they corrected this issue in Palio 1.2 NV in later part of 2003, but this misconception remained for quite long time.

Last edited by finneyp : 17th June 2008 at 16:12.
Old 17th June 2008, 16:20   #29
BHPian

Quote:
I'm in no position to calculate the FE of my Palio 1.2 with GPS. I sold it many years ago. but we used to run an M800, an MM540 and a zen at the same time, and it used to hurt a lot more when the palio went to the petrol pump.
The Mahindra is a diesel and M800 and Zen were smaller cars/had smaller engines. No surprises here.

Given that everything in this world is relative, if Maruti cars have odo's that over-read, then it defintely works towards the disadvantage of other cars, right? Moreover, specifically in case of mileage figures, we usually use that of Maruti cars as benchmark (lighter, fuel efficient cars).
Old 17th June 2008, 17:03   #30
Senior - BHPian

ET, all said and done, it is a good experiment to cross check the accuracy of the odo and speedo readings with GPS. I think guys with GPS phones can try these over a period of time and can report their findings in this forum. That will be a good indication of where all the cars stand.

Now, who will buy my iPhone so that I can buy it again from Airtel once it comes to India?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks