Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2008, 16:25   #151
Senior - BHPian

Yes Sumit that is what I saw. But any idea if it is going to be a 1 litre, 3-cylinder engine?? I hope not!!!
Old 7th July 2008, 18:49   #152
BHPian

The 1.3 liter ddis is not aviable in A-star.it's too heavy and it will
effect in handling so,they decide not to install in it.
Old 7th July 2008, 22:05   #153
BHPian

DDiS

Quote:
Originally Posted by thainogkok View Post
The 1.3 liter ddis is not aviable in A-star.it's too heavy and it will
effect in handling so,they decide not to install in it.
Maruti should work on a smaller engine on DDiS platform in order to make A Star a winner. The current 1.3 litre engine in the Swift is doing a great job and hence it still has a waiting period of more than 2 months.
Old 7th July 2008, 22:32   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaykiran79 View Post

Maruti should work on a smaller engine on DDiS platform in order to make A Star a winner. The current 1.3 litre engine in the Swift is doing a great job and hence it still has a waiting period of more than 2 months.

They ( Suzuki ) are looking around for a small capacity diesel engine. Suzuki initially went to FIAT, but Suzuki found FIAT's offer to be expensive.

Suzuki is still searching, and FIAT is said to answer the quest with a small 3 cylinder diesel.
Old 7th July 2008, 23:39   #155
Senior - BHPian

i have pics of a star taken at autoexpo 2008. mobile cam so pic quality bad.
Attached Thumbnails
Spotted: Maruti Suzuki Splash And A-star-image087.jpg  

Spotted: Maruti Suzuki Splash And A-star-image090.jpg  

Spotted: Maruti Suzuki Splash And A-star-image092.jpg  

Spotted: Maruti Suzuki Splash And A-star-image093.jpg  

Old 7th July 2008, 23:39   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaykiran79 View Post
Maruti should work on a smaller engine on DDiS platform in order to make A Star a winner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
They ( Suzuki ) are looking around for a small capacity diesel engine.
Hey, but don't you guys think that a smaller DDiS will be very sluggish and have major turbo lag problems?
Old 8th July 2008, 10:48   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar;895214

Hey, but don't you guys think that a smaller DDiS will be very sluggish and have major turbo lag problems?
I agree with you that this can be a potential hazard in the design, but the engine will be developed keeping in mind these factors, so more engineeering will go in to solve this problem.
And this small engine will be helped by variable vanes turbocharger ( VVT ). The modern injection technologies coupled with VVT, can surely reduce the effect to tolerable levels.
Old 8th July 2008, 10:59   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Yes Sumit that is what I saw. But any idea if it is going to be a 1 litre, 3-cylinder engine?? I hope not!!!
If we go by the press reports, the new K-series engine is Euro-V compliant, and the F series (800, Alto, Estilo, Wagon R) and G series (Swift and Dzire) will be phased out by 2010.

So my guess is that the new engine will be only for the export markets and for the badge engineered Nissan with whom Maruti made an agreement a few years ago.
Old 8th July 2008, 19:45   #159
BANNED

Hi Chevelle!

As you said, the A-Star can be a good successor of the old Zen. But it should have a peppy engine, and the present production-ready model's looks need to be changed a lot - yes, need to go back to its concept model styling. The present production-ready model looks like a comic character - not bad, but cannot replace the classic look of the old Zen.

And regarding the introduction of Ignis as Zen - though it is an old model, it still looks far better than Estilo and Wagon-R. Can't resist that sporty look. It can be used as a small SUV also! Indian market lacks such a 5-seater affordable SUV. Mahindra's new 5-seater SUV will be a huge hit, I'm sure.
Old 9th July 2008, 01:38   #160
Senior - BHPian

Could be old news: http://www.******************/maruti...s-coming-soon/
Old 9th July 2008, 01:40   #161
Senior - BHPian

Guess the website I posted above is blocked here - it turned to ***'s! Anyways, here is the content:

"ndian car market leader, Maruti Suzuki plans to overhaul the engine line up in its entire model line up, come October. The new family of engines known as the K-series and the M-series (not to be confused with BMW’s ‘M’ :P) are more enviroment friendly, meeting stricter emission norms while at the same time, are more fuel efficient as well. The K-Series engine will go into Maruti’s small car line-up while the M-series engine comes in higher capacity (1.3 to 1.6 Litre) and will go into Swift, Splash and the likes. The SX4 sedan already has the M-Series engine while the Swift still gets the old G-Series engine from the Esteem. The A-Star will start the transition, when the car is launched in october this year with the 1 Litre version of the K-series engine which subsequently will be installed in all the Maruti small cars in varying cubic capacities. Maruti plans to phase out the existing F and G series engines completely by 2010.
The manufacturing of these new generation engines will commence later this year in Maruti’s manesar plant. The engine will also be exported to countries like USA and Europe. The new engine facility is a part of the 9000 Crore investment plan announced by parent company, Suzuki Motor Corporation Osamu Suzuki earlier this year for Maruti.
“The engines are expected to deliver highest fuel efficiency and excellent environment protection. The state of the art engine in A-Star will have the lowest carbon emissions in India. These engine will meet all emission norms for the next decade”, Mr. S nakanishi Managing Director, CEO, Maruti Suzuki India said."
Old 9th July 2008, 11:16   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
“The engines are expected to deliver highest fuel efficiency and excellent environment protection. The state of the art engine in A-Star will have the lowest carbon emissions in India. These engine will meet all emission norms for the next decade”, Mr. S nakanishi Managing Director, CEO, Maruti Suzuki India said."

I had read in both, Overdrive and AutoCar India car magazines that A-star will have a very fuel effecient and clean engine. The engine will be newly developed and the engine will most probably be 1.0 ltr 3 cylinder.

Now as stated by you, the K-series engine are mainly in 1.3 to 1.6 ltrs ( 1.2ltr 1242cc, already on sale in Splash internatinally ) will be splash, and I dont think that they are having a proper K-series modern engine.

But the fact is that in one of the earlier Auto Expo, Maurti Suzuki did put up a small car with 66bhp ( approx ) 1 ltr K-series engine. The small car was just there for display and not for sale in India. It was in the era when the Wagon R was launched.

But now, what Maruti is stating is a new generation engine. IMO, they are coming up with an entirely new series of new generation engines. With the A-star they are aiming to achieve less than 100gms CO2/km.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 9th July 2008 at 11:18.
Old 9th July 2008, 11:45   #163
BHPian

guys... the k and M series are both for petrol right ?
Old 9th July 2008, 12:09   #164
Senior - BHPian

I mean, whont a 3-cylinder vibrate a lot more than a 4-cylinder mill? Or maybe even be noisy?
Old 9th July 2008, 12:36   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharanidharang View Post

guys... the k and M series are both for petrol right ?

Yes, both K and M series engines are petrol engines.

In fact, Suzuki as of now, does not have a diesel engine of its own.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed