Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2008, 15:07   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Thats a lot of salvaging from the parts bin Suzuki seems to be doing these days, judging from those interiors.
Old 20th June 2008, 15:08   #92
BHPian

[quote=penpavan;873559]Boy!

The A-star is ugly. From the back it is Alto + UVA and from the front it looks like some modded car....add to it the cheap looking interiors.

Completely agree.. the rear has been totally screwed up from the one we saw at the auto show.. it looks like a last generation rear now, similar to the alto. The front has been 'cutesyfied' and doesn't look appealing..

As for the splash, it looks like the spiritual successor to the santro.. maruti must be hoping it does just as well in the market.
Old 20th June 2008, 15:13   #93
Senior - BHPian

seems like the Tacho pod is optional after all...
Old 20th June 2008, 15:54   #94
BHPian

The splash aspirants may start tracking :: Website Under Construction ::

This is registered with net4India which is the same web service provider where most of the popular companies buy domains. Hyundai for ex.

Hence i guess maruti have already bought the domain and soon people can see something in there
Old 20th June 2008, 16:29   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by penpavan View Post
Boy!

The A-star is ugly. From the back it is Alto + UVA and from the front it looks like some modded car....add to it the cheap looking interiors.
Its much better looking than the Alto and also note that it has the same chunky A-pillar like alto.

I remember that back in 2006, there were plans of ASEAN car or something like that, that was planned for 2008. It looks like it was A-star.

That car was supposed to see Maruti engineers in major involvement.

Any clues about the launch dates.

PS: The term asean can be wrong, but it was much similar to that.
Old 20th June 2008, 16:35   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by penpavan View Post
The splash aspirants may start tracking :: Website Under Construction ::

This is registered with net4India which is the same web service provider where most of the popular companies buy domains. Hyundai for ex.

Hence i guess maruti have already bought the domain and soon people can see something in there
Registered by somebody who works for LIC.... I guess a domain squatter wanting to make a quick buck.
Old 20th June 2008, 18:15   #97
rippergeo

one thing is for sure,
suzuki is being bold with styling. opinion gets polarised very quickly about the looks of the new cars. they are not looking to please everyone. which is a nice thing IMO.

for eg the swift- some people love it, the others just hate it. I have not seen many people who are indifferent to the shape.

I think the same goes for the A-star, kizashi and splash. they dont seem to be pulling any punches in the styling dept.

compare that with the esteem, the old zen, baleno and M800. they are all ordinary/pleasant looking cars that do not dare to look different. I'm glad that phase is over.

Old 20th June 2008, 18:24   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Ajo, then why have concepts itself, wasting precious money/time/effort on something which they have no plans of getting to market more-or-less as-is.
Concepts are essentially a platform to showcase a company's design and production capabilities. So will make it to the market, but rarely identical as shown before release.

Remember a Tata concept (Magna) and a sportscar? Its not seen daylight after the expo.
Old 20th June 2008, 19:09   #99
Senior - BHPian

maruti has really been impressive after the launch of swift, they have been indeed working well on changing their image and getting more respect for their brand
Old 20th June 2008, 19:34   #100
BHPian

Guys

I have (and most of us have) seen these cars at the auto expo and let me tell you they are far from ugly. I felt that the concept was too loud with all the neon on it. These cars will look good when you see them in person.
Old 20th June 2008, 21:36   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMATMO View Post
maruti has really been impressive after the launch of swift, they have been indeed working well on changing their image and getting more respect for their brand
True Maruti has been doing well. But after Swift they launched SX4 , DZIRE & now A STAR. All these cars will get mixed response for looks. I think Maruti is trying to get too agressive with styling.

OT : The Kizashi is one car which has looked good after the concept stage from Suzuki stable. Looking forward to it!
Old 20th June 2008, 22:31   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
True Maruti has been doing well. But after Swift they launched SX4 , DZIRE & now A STAR. All these cars will get mixed response for looks. I think Maruti is trying to get too agressive with styling.

OT : The Kizashi is one car which has looked good after the concept stage from Suzuki stable. Looking forward to it!
Given the experience with A-Star, I guess the Kizashi will be another ordinary looking car. Especially when it is expected to take on the Corolla and the Civic.
Old 20th June 2008, 22:33   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Looks, I believe that are highly subjective and out of the three cars you have mentioned, Dzire is the one that has faced maximum criticism. I dont think that SX4 faced this criticism as much as Dzire.
Anyways, as looks are subjective, I think that A-star is not at all bad looking and is more modern looking than Alto or Wagon R. The rear might not be the best but is good enough.
Old 20th June 2008, 23:05   #104
BANNED

Design??

Quote:
First of all, looks are a very subjective matter. I don't have to explain this here I suppose.

Now, many would consider the A star to be an ugly duckling. Many have already liked it. We should remember that this car is supposed to be the one which is going to be placed very low in the market, ie... even a replacement for M800 (That we are not sure yet). For that kind of a market, I would say this design is quiet decent.

Another minus point is that the A star concept was a bit too flashy and many had huge expectations from it. But, instead of letting us see bits and pieces of the concept's evolution into a proper production car, what we got to see is the production version.
In the case of Kizashi, do you think the original concept we saw first would ever be put into production. No ways!! It was eventually changed a bit more and shown in different shows as close as to the production model. Now, when we see the production model of the Kizashi, we are not disappointed becuse we have seen the whole evolution process. Unfortunately, we didn't have the same oppurtunity with the A Star and so, the reason to see it as a mixed up car!
Old 20th June 2008, 23:43   #105
Senior - BHPian

The looks of both cars are not pleasing at first sight. But not so bad that it cannot grow on us with time, just like the original Santro did.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed