Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2008, 18:55   #181
Senior - BHPian

if we compare the concept a-star and 'possible' production a-star from lots of similarities comes up, like the front grille which is same, like in the concept the black bar running in the middle has a-star written, while in production model it will be replaced by license plate, the headlamp cluster is also the same, the upper cut which has purple shade in concept has been replaced by the indicators and the curve at the bottom of headlamp cluster remains the same.
the air dam at the bottom of grille has been replaced with fog lamps.

at the rear, the windshield shape remains the same on the suzuki logo position has changed. the rear quarter glass had to be changed in order to be more viable for production and so have the wheel arches been slimmed down in order to keep cost down.

as someone rightly said so, all production models are not made to suppose to be exact replica of concept so some things have to be changed.

as for that wagon crossover, it looks very boxy and not at all good compared to splash IMHO.
Old 22nd July 2008, 21:09   #182
BHPian

Well from outside the car looks fine in Pics but from inside as shown in prev pics, this car looks whacky

The boring dull grey all around with Maruti plastic quality

Maruti should learn few things from comp, not from Tata
Old 22nd July 2008, 22:10   #183
Senior - BHPian

[quote=Karandeep81;911783]but as this has been around for over 6 months now guess if the Japanese stole Korean design rather than it being the other way round?

Most of the design & project of A-star was done By Indian Engineers FYI!
Old 22nd July 2008, 22:47   #184
BHPian

SPLASH is COcktail of WAGON-R, EStillo & Swift.......
Old 22nd July 2008, 22:52   #185
BHPian

Seems that these to cars are probably going to be the replacements for the WagonR and Alto. I went down to the local Maruti Suzuki to finalize my order for a Grand Vitara. While i was there i noticed a lot of people who have decided to sell their Maruti 800's. Through furthur questioning i found out that there is a special exchange offer. Not so surprisingly (due to the soon arrival A-Star and Splash) the exhange was only for either Altos or WagonRs. The exchange offer didn't even include regular Maruti 800's/Zens/Swift. Just the two stated cars. It seems Maruti Suzuki is trying really hard to get rid of the Alto and WagonRs they have stockpiled.

One thing got me wondering though. This offer is only valid until the end of July. Does that mean that theres a chance that the A-Star/Splash will be introduced to the Indian Market by August?
Old 22nd July 2008, 23:52   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-S-A View Post
Seems that these to cars are probably going to be the replacements for the WagonR and Alto. I went down to the local Maruti Suzuki to finalize my order for a Grand Vitara. While i was there i noticed a lot of people who have decided to sell their Maruti 800's. Through furthur questioning i found out that there is a special exchange offer. Not so surprisingly (due to the soon arrival A-Star and Splash) the exhange was only for either Altos or WagonRs. The exchange offer didn't even include regular Maruti 800's/Zens/Swift. Just the two stated cars. It seems Maruti Suzuki is trying really hard to get rid of the Alto and WagonRs they have stockpiled.

One thing got me wondering though. This offer is only valid until the end of July. Does that mean that theres a chance that the A-Star/Splash will be introduced to the Indian Market by August?
Well I too went to the local Maruti showroom today, upon being asked about the A-star and the Splash, I was told that only the Wagon-r would be replaced and not the Alto. The A-star would be a notch above the Alto. Also the launch is being planned around october. Also they sales guy told me that Maruti is contemplating reducing the production of the SX4 by good amount and increase the same for the Dzire.
Old 23rd July 2008, 07:24   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshu_46 View Post
Well I too went to the local Maruti showroom today, upon being asked about the A-star and the Splash, I was told that only the Wagon-r would be replaced and not the Alto. The A-star would be a notch above the Alto. Also the launch is being planned around october.
The diesel engined Wagon-R or diesel engined Alto will be launched around October ?

What was the launch date of Wagon -R replacement ?
Old 23rd July 2008, 09:30   #188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
The diesel engined Wagon-R or diesel engined Alto will be launched around October ?

I think A-Star 1.0 P will be launched in October ! I dont think the Diesel for Alto is around the corner. I guess the Splash would replace the Wagon R .
Feb-March launch for Splash would be good , that too it has the DDIS under its hood!!!
Old 23rd July 2008, 10:57   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well I too went to the local Maruti showroom today, upon being asked about the A-star and the Splash, I was told that only the Wagon-r would be replaced and not the Alto.
Kind of makes sense to me. Alto is India's largest selling car. It takes lots of guts for anyone to tinker with such successful product.
Old 23rd July 2008, 10:59   #190
BHPian

Splash shares the same platform with the swift!

As per Autocar, the A-Star will be launched around October and Splash in first half of next year but on the other hand Maruti dealers are saying that both of them are expected soon.

How soon only God knows!
Old 23rd July 2008, 11:11   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post

I did not ask about specific engines, but he was saying that both will launch
simontaneously one after the other, one of the launches will be around october and the other can shift to January.
Old 23rd July 2008, 11:43   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Kind of makes sense to me. Alto is India's largest selling car. It takes lots of guts for anyone to tinker with such successful product.
WagonR is India's second largest selling car.

I don't think either is going to be replaced. Splash would be positioned just above WR/Estilo and A-Star just above Alto.
Old 23rd July 2008, 12:06   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Yaa, I forgot that.

Would be interesting to see what Maruti does. It already has manufacturing constraints (Swift still is not available in ready stock,Sx4/ DZire have long waiting periods). So doing that many models at the same time will be tough.
Old 23rd July 2008, 12:48   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post

I don't think either is going to be replaced. Splash would be positioned just above WR/Estilo and A-Star just above Alto.
Yup the WagonR is also flying out of the showrooms, but Maruti is lauching two small cars for this same purpose, to counter the sales deficit if any that arises after the WagonR is stopped. The Astar should be around the WagonR/Estilo territory and the Splash is being launched, I guess to get some sales away from the I10, it would be priced a little lower than he I10.
Old 23rd July 2008, 13:37   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was told that only the Wagon-r
Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
I guess the Splash would replace the Wagon R .
Guys, Splash will not replace the WagonR. Splash is actually bigger than the Swift in length and height and has the same width. So, Splash will be an alternative to the Swift. Also, there could be chances that A-star will replace the WagonR.

The recent Autocar also states that A-star might compete with i10.

Last edited by blue_pulsar : 23rd July 2008 at 13:38.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed