Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2009, 17:30   #91
BHPian

Good petrol bunks in Bombay

I travel daily from New Bombay to South Bombay via the Sion Trombay Road. Can someone help me with COCO outlets on this route or any other good fuel bunks in the vicinity?
Old 2nd September 2009, 17:40   #92
Senior - BHPian

Hello

Another known way of conning is when you full tank fuel to your cars. For eg. if you fill for say 1243.34, if you pay by card, they swipe for 1343.34 and many of us will not remember how much was it and blindly sign and accept it since the process of card takes 2-5 mins.

I think the best way is to stay alert. Also, try and fill the tank full so that lesser number of visits to the bunk.

Always step out of the car and ensure you see the attendant reset to 0 and starts filling the tank and also notice when he stops. [You may want to center lock the car/up the windows in case you have valuables].

I always fill fuel from Reddy Petrol pump at Nehrunagar circle or the Shell petrol pump near Iscon. These 2 bunks ALWAYS ensure they start filling fuel only after you see and confirm the 0 and as soon as they stop, they make sure you see the meter reading. My and my family (a joing family that has atleast 10-15 vehicles) always fill fuel at Reddy petrol pump and never ever had an issue.
Old 2nd September 2009, 17:47   #93
BHPian

So, the thumb rule is many Fuel pumps in Bangalore cheat their Customers.

It's got lot to do with the attitude of Bangaloreans - Never bothered to raise an issue and Chaltha hai attitude.

I guess, this doesn't happen in Tamil nadu, because anything like this and the Customers beat up the attendants.

We Bangaloreans take it up in a civilised manner, so the attendants are not bothered about the repurcussions of the crime they do.
Old 2nd September 2009, 17:50   #94
Senior - BHPian

All pumps give around 3% less fuel on account of evaporation, and is well known of, but the same goes to 10% or 15% in greed for more money. Secondly in small towns or cities they even mix Kerosine for make up.

Till now I have very good experience with all the shell petrol pumps. they make you to switch off your mobile, get down from the bike, always greet you with namaskar, always tell you to see the zero reading and the amount asked for before filling. I have got the max fuel efficiency with Shell only and now with their rates on par with the Govt. ones, i always fill up there.

All other pumps no matter which company are they cheat on qty. and /or quality. Few times on the money also.

A case in point for the diesel engines. In many areas they mix the blue kerosine in the diesel and to discolor the diesel from blue haze they add chlorine. Now this chlorine is very bad for the injectors and results in Early Hour Failures.

This might be true for petrol also, this fact i know is because I am service engineer looking for Diesel Generators and have encountered these failures. The lab reports proved our doubt of chlorine.
Old 2nd September 2009, 18:21   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaz View Post
It's got lot to do with the attitude of Bangaloreans - Never bothered to raise an issue and Chaltha hai attitude.

I guess, this doesn't happen in Tamil nadu, because anything like this and the Customers beat up the attendants.

We Bangaloreans take it up in a civilised manner, so the attendants are not bothered about the repurcussions of the crime they do.
I think you are right. That reminds me of an incident in Pune.

I was riding pillion on a Yaam with a friend. At a pump he asked for an amount of fuel and started digging his pockets for cash. He and I were sure that he had not reset the meter. My friend got off the bike in an aggressive manner and threw himself at the attendant.

The dude scared the daylights out of him. On the way back, just for masti, we again filled Rs. 100 from the same pump and with the same attendant attending. This time he 'showed' us the zero.

Huge difference in attitude. Now a days getting off the car and other such body language/cues are enough to announce your veteran status of being cheated/extra careful at fuel pumps. Believe me the attendan mob leaves in dis-interest once they know you mean business.
Old 2nd September 2009, 19:02   #96
Senior - BHPian

I always get out of the car, make the attendant repeat the amount I asked for. Ensure zero and then start filling. I avoid looking at others trying to distract me. The attendants tend to get irritated by the behaviour.

My family has owned a village bunk for several years and I was attendant and cashier after college for 2 years. Trust me, I know the back stage action. There are many ways to cheat.
Old 2nd September 2009, 19:14   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post

My family has owned a village bunk for several years and I was attendant and cashier after college for 2 years. Trust me, I know the back stage action. There are many ways to cheat.
Sir, thou arth the man here. Phalees let us know how not to get cheated, and the tricks and the economics of it all. I know there is enough knowledge sharing itself on this forum, but we'd like to hear straight from..you.
From what I have seen, attendants can gauge from the queue itself of who can be easily cheated. Then they prepare/alert others.
Old 2nd September 2009, 21:37   #98
Senior - BHPian

Some basic ground rules, some of which were shared earlier:

1. Be alert, dont pass on the keys to the attendant and sit back. You could be easy targets.

2. Always make the attendant repeat what he is asked to fill to make sure. Cases of short filling is very common.

3. Dont get distracted when others ask for credit card, try to sell stuff. Dont take your eyes off the meter.

4. When filling your tank, ask the attendant to take hands of the pump. Use the lock.

5. Avoid premium fuel on a price drop day or shortage times. You will mostly be paying for premium and getting regular.

6. If you are 2 stroker, get your own oil, dont use the provided oil.

7. Filling fuel slowly makes a difference in quantity, not sure how, but it does. I have tested it.

The easiest way to cheat is adulteration and altering quantity. Adding Benzine, Kerosene, 2T oil and other chemicals to fuel are different methods of Adulteration.

Earlier generation pumps had methods to adjust flow pressure quite easily. 750ml for a litre is what you get. Our pumps were old type with painted digits and even turns if the pump runs out of fuel. I have tested this many times when our bunk ran dry. You will be pumping air and the meter rotates freely.

Another way is providing cheap quality 2 stoke oil instead of branded oil. Auto guys and other 2 strokers get conned. Crap recycled oil was freely available at 25% of branded 2T cost.

If you have an issue with quantity or quality, demand a check immediately. Both bloating paper and measuring container is at the bunk for checks by customers. It cannot be denied.

Last edited by mail4ajo : 2nd September 2009 at 21:40.
Old 2nd September 2009, 23:42   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post

4. When filling your tank, ask the attendant to take hands of the pump. Use the lock.
Please clarify the reason.
Old 3rd September 2009, 09:16   #100
BHPian

[quote=prince_pervez;1463182]Sir, thou arth the man here. Phalees let us know how not to get cheated, and the tricks and the economics of it all. I know there is enough knowledge sharing itself on this forum, but we'd like to hear straight from..you. quote]

+1 to it. Can you kindly share few happy moments on the same
Old 3rd September 2009, 09:33   #101
JRD
BHPian

hmm.. Ive heard and experienced similar stories at IOC Pumps. In ahmedabad one on praladh nagar road and the other near the shyamal overbridge. I usually fill up at the HP pump down the street from the IOC one but had to fill up once at the IOC one due to water clogged roads. Anyway my car did 15-20 km less then usual. At HP pumps ive never had this issue. Take it up with their management and inform HPCL about it.
Old 3rd September 2009, 09:45   #102
BHPian

I've experienced exactly the same thing in Bangalore. When we enter Bangalore from the Tumkur side, there is one IBP pump on the left side of the road. It had so happened that I had entered Bangalore very early in the morning and coincidentally ran out of diesel at the same time. This pump was still closed when I parked my car in front of the filling machine and went off to sleep. A small boy came and woke me up around 7 am and asked me what I wanted. I told him diesel for Rs 500. He filled diesel for Rs 100 and stood there innocently. I repeated Rs 500 again and made the necessary signs from inside the car. He started from the same point and took the counter till Rs 400 this time and told me 100+400=500. I had got really angry but he started swearing on his mom and dad and I don't know who all. I let him get away with it thinking he is such a small kid but that really substantiates the fact that this is a standard malpractice in Bangalore
Old 3rd September 2009, 09:48   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by janitha View Post
Yes, I also want to know why this is necessary.

Last edited by McLaren Rulez : 3rd September 2009 at 09:50.
Old 3rd September 2009, 09:54   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitha View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Yes, I also want to know why this is necessary.
This has got to do something with the speed at which the fuel is dispensed. Some pumps/meters are not maintained properly hence the attendant can cut off the fuel supply and the meter would still run.
So ask the attendant to let go of the handle and set it to the slowest speed. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Old 3rd September 2009, 10:02   #105
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
So ask the attendant to let go of the handle and set it to the slowest speed. Please correct me if I am wrong.
You are right. In Shell petrol pumps, the attendant usually set it to the slowest speed possible and leaves the nozzle in the opening and proceeds to clean the windshield. From my past experience it takes close to 3 mins for a 35 litre tank to be filled till the auto cut off point from empty.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks