Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2008, 14:47   #1
BHPian

Is GM launching a Diesel Aveo soon?

Earlier this year, in one of the odd auto magazine/news articles, I had read about a diesel Aveo getting launched this year.

Has anyone got any (insider) news on this?

BH.
Old 23rd June 2008, 14:58   #2
Senior - BHPian

@BH - There is no concrete info on the launch date. There is no news that GM is testing the 1.3MJD in the Aveo yet. But im expecting either by last quarter of this year or next year beginning if GM is gonna launch it.
Old 24th June 2008, 09:11   #3
BHPian

A Diesel Aveo can surely turn the fortunes for Chevy... GM today is just letting the competition easily eat the market :-(
Old 24th June 2008, 09:33   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
@BH - There is no concrete info on the launch date. There is no news that GM is testing the 1.3MJD in the Aveo yet. But im expecting either by last quarter of this year or next year beginning if GM is gonna launch it.
Yes. I am also expecting the Aveo Diesel within this year. I think that they should utilize the recent petrol price hike to get a decent market share in Diesel segment, I think they will...
Old 24th June 2008, 09:39   #5
Senior - BHPian

As of now, there is no concrete information or launch dates. IMO, they will come with new look Aveo UV-A and plonk a Diesel heart in around Diwali.
But it can be extended to next year first quarter.
Old 24th June 2008, 10:53   #6
BHPian

My only source of (often unreliable?) information on this is the dealer Vijai Motors in Bangalore. I was told that the diesel Aveo is on it's way by 4Qtr this year.
Old 24th June 2008, 10:56   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
As of now, there is no concrete information or launch dates. IMO, they will come with new look Aveo UV-A and plonk a Diesel heart in around Diwali.
But it can be extended to next year first quarter.
That does not make too much sense, does it? They should do that diesel treatment for Aveo and UVA. Why top UVA with two upgrades, when its clearly not a breadwinner for them?

BH.
Old 24th June 2008, 11:01   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningHeart View Post
That does not make too much sense, does it? They should do that diesel treatment for Aveo and UVA. Why top UVA with two upgrades, when its clearly not a breadwinner for them?

BH.
I mean both Aveo and UV-A will get this looks upgrade.
They did the same with Optra. Thats why I hope they will do to Aveo in order to make it a winner out of that stable.
More over the arrival of G3HC can surely help GM make upgradation to both Aveo and UV-A and give a diesel heart.
Old 24th June 2008, 17:01   #9
Senior - BHPian

Yes they are I think. All Auto Mags & Car Shows say that they will launch it. I do not see any reason why they would not.

I think it is a stunner and should be a hit unlike its Petrol counterpart, which I simply fail to understand why it never took off.
Old 24th June 2008, 21:37   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
I mean both Aveo and UV-A will get this looks upgrade.
They did the same with Optra. Thats why I hope they will do to Aveo in order to make it a winner out of that stable.
More over the arrival of G3HC can surely help GM make upgradation to both Aveo and UV-A and give a diesel heart.

Aveo sedan will not get any styling changes mostly as that model is still pretty new and recently launched in other markets including the US of A

the UV_A will get the new look.. and mostly both the cars will get 1.3MJd.
Old 24th June 2008, 22:47   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx45 View Post
Aveo sedan will not get any styling changes mostly as that model is still pretty new and recently launched in other markets including the US of A
But it could not get as much success. New looks along with diesel heart can revive the sales so that possibility is not that low, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx45 View Post
the UV_A will get the new look.. and mostly both the cars will get 1.3MJd.

Yes, it basically the diesel heart that can play an important role more than the cosmetic upgrades.
Old 24th June 2008, 23:11   #12
BHPian

i think if hey launch diesel version in 2-3 months //or by diwali,they could easily take share of DZIRE`s market.
Old 24th June 2008, 23:43   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
I think it is a stunner and should be a hit unlike its Petrol counterpart, which I simply fail to understand why it never took off.
And I'm wondering why Magnum didnt take off, inspite of being an excellent package. Guess GM is delaying things too far!

With Swift having waiting periods, U-VA stands a good chance. Hope GM acts fast.
Old 25th June 2008, 00:20   #14
BHPian

If that news article is to be believed then its a very good move GM is thinking about. But i doubt they will plonk in the 1.3 Mjd in the Aveo. Afterall GM must be seeing the Ford Fiesta 1.4 duratorque as its obvious competitor in the diesel mid-sized sedan market, and with the news of the Fiesta getting the 1.6 diesel powerplant, dont think they will risk it with the 1.3. Instead the 1.3 Mjd in the UVA sounds a fair deal atleast theoretically. Practically cant say though, seeing its present sales. MSIL has hit a big time jackpot with the Swift DDIS.
Old 25th June 2008, 00:28   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhaval View Post
and with the news of the Fiesta getting the 1.6 diesel powerplant, dont think they will risk it with the 1.3.
That rumour was about the new facelift, which has already happened a few days ago. But the engine changes were not as expected and there is no 1.6 diesel.

As for the 1.4 Duratorq, the 1.3 is actually better as far as figures as concerned!

Most Viewed