Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2008, 21:24   #121
BHPian

The Jetta is a Civic/Corolla competitor in all the markets it is sold. It is around 10%-15% more expensive too across the model range for the same sort of bells and whistles. So, I don't know what all the fuss is about regarding the pricing.
Old 16th July 2008, 21:36   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
(Delhi) ex-showroom prices:
  • Jetta 1.6L petrol (101BHP) Trendline is Rs12.97 lakh
  • Jetta 1.9L Diesel Trendline is Rs14.22 lakh
  • Jetta 1.9L Diesel Comfortline (DSG ) Rs16.67 lakh
BTW, Jetta Petrol accelerate from 0 to 100 kph in just 12.2 seconds and Jetta Diesel in just 11.8 seconds, which just around what our Swift does.
OK, so it 13 lakhs Ex-showroom for 1.6 petrol in Delhi and 14.22 lakhs for Diesel.

I was hoping that VW would get a bit more sensible and lauch the car in the range of 11-13 lakhs and upto 14 for DSG diesel.
IMO, the car is very seriously overpriced and what is essentially nothing but a Golf with boot. The Laura is based on the same platform.
They cannot just charge this for the badge of German engineering. I hope that people buy Laura instead of Jetta and this would teach them a lesson.

The only positive point about DSG is that it is having diesel, other wise it is nearing the manual Accord as far as price is concerned.
Old 16th July 2008, 22:20   #123
Senior - BHPian

The video
Volkswagen launches Jetta at Rs 13 lakh
Old 16th July 2008, 22:33   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby STi View Post
The Jetta is a Civic/Corolla competitor in all the markets it is sold. It is around 10%-15% more expensive too across the model range for the same sort of bells and whistles. So, I don't know what all the fuss is about regarding the pricing.
If the jetta was launched with 170 bhp mutlijet, the price would have been totally justifiable
Old 16th July 2008, 22:48   #125
Senior - BHPian

I fail to understand the fuss about the pricing. It's bang where it was expected to be.

Quote:
Thank you!
Old 16th July 2008, 22:52   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby STi View Post
Thats is because in other markets Jetta comes with bigger and more powerful engines!

VW HAD to introduce the less powerful 1.6 as there newer engines were too technically advanced for indian fuel. And before anyone flames me let me say that this is the official reason stated by VW to journos for being unable to introduce the 2.0 and other bigger/more poweful/latest-gen engines.

So a 100 odd bhp engine is really short to compete against the likes of civic and corolla!

Elito

P.S. - So Jetta is going to be a 'little' like Fabia. Good 'Show' but little 'Go'

Last edited by Elito11 : 16th July 2008 at 22:55.
Old 16th July 2008, 23:01   #127
Senior - BHPian

Will everyone stop writing them off and let them set up their manufacturing facility first?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
I fail to understand the fuss about the pricing. It's bang where it was expected to be.
Thanks. Puzzles me as well Amit. Everyone wants their German quality at Indian prices.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 16th July 2008 at 23:04.
Old 16th July 2008, 23:22   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
Will everyone stop writing them off and let them set up their manufacturing facility first?

Thanks. Puzzles me as well Amit. Everyone wants their German quality at Indian prices.
German quality, with sensible pricing. I'm personally not too happy that most of my money would go towards import duties. When they launch a car with very little localization, there is no guarantee that they will cut prices unless the competition forces them to.

In spite of the pricing, I won't write them off. They'll do well. Just like Skoda.
Old 16th July 2008, 23:27   #129
BHPian

whats the deal with German "quality"?? if in other markets Japanese "quality" and German "quality" can be bought with equal money, then why should German "quality" cost more than Japanese "quality" in India. Also even though they did not set up their VW brand plant yet, they are using the skoda plant (which is fully functional). I think it is overpriced, but as usual will sell (it has a diesel).
Old 16th July 2008, 23:30   #130
Senior - BHPian

For someone looking at Power the VW falls way short. 102 bhp is like way too short for a car which is going to compete with the Civic and the new Corolla. I too was excited about the release but its been a dampener. Agreed their boot is bigger and they have 8 airbags, but that doesn't make up for everything. Prices are way too high and they look to be competing with the Laura rather than the Civic or Accord.

Is there a chance of seeing as many Jetta's on the road as I see Corollas/Civic's ? Nope...
Old 16th July 2008, 23:37   #131
Senior - BHPian

I have a very basic question. What is the difference in terms of price & features between Laura DSG and Jetta ComfortLine ?
Old 16th July 2008, 23:46   #132

I LOVE VOLKSWAGEN!!!!!! No No You got me wrong!! Not for the Overpriced Stupid looking Jetta!!! For the Goddies they gave us!!

Anyways, here are the pictures!!

Reached there to see that quite a crowd had gathered.
VW Jetta is Launching  in India EDIT: Now Launched-caremony.jpg

The Jettas were in wraps and looking cool..
VW Jetta is Launching  in India EDIT: Now Launched-wraps.jpg
VW Jetta is Launching  in India EDIT: Now Launched-wraps-2.jpg
Name:  specs.JPG
Views: 720
Size:  51.7 KB

After a while, and a few speeches, the cars were finally released!!

Here is the Top of the line model.
VW Jetta is Launching  in India EDIT: Now Launched-topend1.jpg
VW Jetta is Launching  in India EDIT: Now Launched-topend2.jpg
VW Jetta is Launching  in India EDIT: Now Launched-topend3.jpg

And here is the Base Model Petrol.
VW Jetta is Launching  in India EDIT: Now Launched-front.jpg
VW Jetta is Launching  in India EDIT: Now Launched-rear.jpg

VW Jetta is Launching  in India EDIT: Now Launched-instrument.jpg

VW Jetta is Launching  in India EDIT: Now Launched-tail-lights.jpg

VW Jetta is Launching  in India EDIT: Now Launched-vwlogo-lights.jpg

Look at the VW logo in the headlights!!!

And Now!! Here is what we got!!
VW Jetta is Launching  in India EDIT: Now Launched-model2.jpg
VW Jetta is Launching  in India EDIT: Now Launched-model.jpg
VW Jetta is Launching  in India EDIT: Now Launched-hard-disk.jpg

And Now My favourite part!!!

3 FIAT 500s IN THE BASEMENT!!

VW Jetta is Launching  in India EDIT: Now Launched-500.jpg
VW Jetta is Launching  in India EDIT: Now Launched-5002.jpg
Old 17th July 2008, 00:00   #133
BHPian

Those goodies are given so that you write VERY GOOD things about the car.

In simple words, it's a bribe . But who's complaining???
Old 17th July 2008, 00:03   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by salilpawar1 View Post
Those goodies are given so that you write VERY GOOD things about the car.

In simple words, it's a bribe . But who's complaining???
Well, Dippy Gogi and me certainly arent!! We went for dinner later..With "priyanka!!!"
Old 17th July 2008, 00:21   #135
BHPian

The reaction to the Jetta seems to be a dejavu of Laura launch.. Everyone here wrote it off - stupid pricing etc. and most of us were proven wrong by the public. I believe though the pricing is high, VW can command a premium over Skoda (the skoda buying public do not compare it with Civic/Corolla, so i wonder why the diesel versions should be compared). The petrol version though will face the same fate as the Skoda version (not the RS). Post the launch of the Honda accord, it would be worth analysing if it did cannabalise some of the Laura sales. If it did not, then i feel the VW will certainly will share the marketspace with Skoda at others expense. the Accord and the VW will certainly have to battle for snob value as they are more at even keel, with the Accord having the Passat size image..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks