Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2008, 19:19   #166
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post

I like that chick in the blue dress. Both the chick and the dress actually.
Phew Man ..for one second i forgot to see the car. Jetta out only in 5-6 colors??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elito11 View Post
That 'chick' in blue is model Amanpreet Wahi. She recently got married..so stop oogling!

Elito
Old 17th July 2008, 22:59   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post

Jetta out only in 5-6 colors??
From the website:
Quote:
You can choose from five stunning colours - Campanella White, Red Spice, Reflex Silver, Platinum Grey and Deep Black. Now it is up to you to discover the exquisitely designed, German engineered Jetta and to select the colour of your preference.
IMO, the car should have been made available in more than 5 colours. The colors offered are not really that wide.
Old 18th July 2008, 08:14   #168
BHPian

Jetta vs Laura

Length: 4554 vs 4572 - shorter
Width: 1781 vs 1769 - wider
Height: 1459 vs 1485 - shorter
GC: 152 vs 164 - lower
Wheel base: 2575 vs 2578 - shorter
Kerb weight: 1420 vs 1350 - heavier

Laura scores higher in most cases..
Old 18th July 2008, 08:35   #169
Senior - BHPian

Finally new Corolla/old Corolla has a competitor in the bland looks department. Two new competitors for Civic in the next 2 months. My prediction is that in the Indian market, Civic will still be the leader, though its 40-45% share may decline some.
Old 18th July 2008, 11:32   #170
BHPian

VAG looks hell bent on selling incompetent cars in India. I make this sweeping statement because of the weak engines they offer in all their cars, except (perhaps) the Passat.

There have been instances where I have felt that the Palio GTX is down on power -- steep climb, 4 people + luggage. I had to take the climb in 2nd / 1st. And that on a vehicle with a kerb weight of 'just' 1080 kg.

After spending 14+lakh on the Jetta, I wonder if I would have had to ask the passengers to get down and push the car under similar circumstances. Power, in such cases, is not about the 'fun factor'. It determines your car's capabilities.
Old 18th July 2008, 12:20   #171
BANNED

Which one is shorter, wider & heavier? Laura or Jetta? (table head missing)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangaraj View Post
Length: 4554 vs 4572 - shorter
Width: 1781 vs 1769 - wider
Height: 1459 vs 1485 - shorter
GC: 152 vs 164 - lower
Wheel base: 2575 vs 2578 - shorter
Kerb weight: 1420 vs 1350 - heavier

Laura scores higher in most cases..
Then what is 1st & 2nd gear for? Isn't it for such purposes?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipul_singh View Post
There have been instances where I have felt that the Palio GTX is down on power -- steep climb, 4 people + luggage. I had to take the climb in 2nd / 1st. And that on a vehicle with a kerb weight of 'just' 1080 kg.

Last edited by diabloo : 18th July 2008 at 12:22.
Old 18th July 2008, 12:37   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
Which one is shorter, wider & heavier? Laura or Jetta? (table head missing)

I think Rangaraj has clearly specified Jetta vs Laura !!!
Old 18th July 2008, 13:00   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipul_singh View Post
Get your Palio checked out.

As for the 1.6L Petrol, it's avaliable in Europe too.It's not like VW developed this engine only for India. Yes, it's not what a 14 lac car should have but bigger and more powerful engines should come later on. I think it would be better for VW to bring the Jetta in with the 1.8L Turbo Petrol. Would have been more powerful and cheaper too.
Old 18th July 2008, 14:07   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
The features of Jetta from Brocure are below along with prices.
Its 16% Road Tax in bangalore according to yesterday's budget for cars above 10 lakhs. So along with insurance the 1.9 diesel is going to be just around 20 lakhs.... Would that sell at that high a price?
Old 18th July 2008, 14:33   #175
BHPian

i saw the pics right now, it didnt appeal to me ,and the bonnet and headlamps gave me a feel of INDIGO , and in pics it doesnt look all that long which it needs to be a 15lac sedan !
Old 18th July 2008, 14:52   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Finally new Corolla/old Corolla has a competitor in the bland looks department. Two new competitors for Civic in the next 2 months. My prediction is that in the Indian market, Civic will still be the leader, though its 40-45% share may decline some.
**Might be OT**: Can't help contesting the above statement. In my opinion, the new Corolla has a great potential to outsell the Civic and might actually do so once launched unless Toyota does harakiri with its pricing of the new model.

Over the last few years, Toyota's legendary customer service and hassle free cars have made a distinct impression on the minds of the Indian buyer. While the Hondas enjoy almost the same reliability quotient, their customer service has not yet matched up to Toyota's standards.

Coming to the Jetta, I am not too sure if it will really give some real competition to the Civic & new Corolla in India for the simple reason that much of the Indian psyche is still pro-Japanese rather than pro-German. Also, many people are aware of the quality problems in Volkswagen cars and that they are not what they used to be. Reliability, fuel economy and good customer service still reign supreme in the mind of the Indian car buyer which is why Fiat never quite managed to set the sales charts on fire with their wonderful cars. For eg. if 10 people were given 30 lacs and made to choose between the Passat and Camry, I am sure 8 out of them would choose the latter.

Having said the above, there will be some percentage of German car aficionados who will swear by their strong and sturdy build, power and stability.
Old 18th July 2008, 15:11   #177
BHPian

Jetta certainly does not excite me the way Passat did. Jetta's headlights reminds me of erstwhile Opel Astra and simply look outdated. As the exteriors did not excite me, I refrianed from going into tech specs. Probably would do so once I get over the "opel" feeling.
Old 18th July 2008, 17:42   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samirsarkar View Post
**Might be OT**: Can't help contesting the above statement. In my opinion, the new Corolla has a great potential to outsell the Civic and might actually do so once launched unless Toyota does harakiri with its pricing of the new model.

Over the last few years, Toyota's legendary customer service and hassle free cars have made a distinct impression on the minds of the Indian buyer. While the Hondas enjoy almost the same reliability quotient, their customer service has not yet matched up to Toyota's standards.

Having said the above, there will be some percentage of German car aficionados who will swear by their strong and sturdy build, power and stability.
Agree on 2nd statement.

Inspite of that, not too sure about the first, having seen here on this forum and in conversations with some auto execs of Toyota, that Indians may have different tastes. In this segment and in India in general, Honda seems to have captured top of mind.

Part agree with 3rd: Jetta may have the power, stability, and the build metal; but not too sure about its quality. If you surf, you may find not too many (incl. CR) recommending the Jetta over its Japanese competition.
Old 18th July 2008, 20:36   #179
Senior - BHPian

No Xenons , No Headlamp Washers. What were VW thinking avoiding these features
Old 18th July 2008, 22:02   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
No Xenons , No Headlamp Washers. What were VW thinking avoiding these features
If you've noticed, even the Audi's & Merc's here don't have HID's. It has to be homologated by ARAI. As for the washers, I guess they think India doesn't get as dirty as EU.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks