Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2008, 03:14   #181
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
If you've noticed, even the Audi's & Merc's here don't have HID's. It has to be homologated by ARAI. As for the washers, I guess they think India doesn't get as dirty as EU.
Merc's (E-Classes) are now equipped with HID's & Skoda's have been equipped with them for donkey's years. So why shouldn't VW or Audi have them?
Old 19th July 2008, 05:09   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Merc's (E-Classes) are now equipped with HID's & Skoda's have been equipped with them for donkey's years. So why shouldn't VW or Audi have them?
I know a sales manager at Skoda and he was telling me that only Skoda had permission to install HID's(this was around Feb '07). He was right at that time, I noticed that these other big brands didn't have them. Now they've probably got permission.

If you've noticed, even the new CR-V doesn't have them. Don't you think a car costing around 18 lakhs should have HID's when it has projectors? There's a reason.
Old 19th July 2008, 07:28   #183
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
If you've noticed, even the Audi's & Merc's here don't have HID's. It has to be homologated by ARAI. As for the washers, I guess they think India doesn't get as dirty as EU.
I think the EU has a legal requirement that xenons should have auto levelling and washers.
Old 19th July 2008, 09:54   #184
BHPian

Initial reactions

Went to the launch event yesterday and here are my reactions:

Overall - The group seems to have a top down approach - introduce the top of the line models and subsequently bring out models/variants that are more affordable. The group's strategy of positioning was - Audi for Luxury, VW for Premium and Skoda for thrill (if i remember right).

Only the top of the line comfort DSG versions were on display - so comments are based on that.

Pros:
- The front seats in the comfort line are superb!
- Finally a choice of leather seats and interiors that are not beige!
- Have not seen the SkodaL&K DSG model, but the DSG model had paddle shift and sports mode
- Liked the chrome front grill
- Rear air con vents
- Decent large boot space
- Nice alloys
- High dashboard and meters (could not comment on the overall visibility of driving)

Cons:
- Not much space at the back when i pushed the seats back (common with Laura)
- No electrical seat adjustment except the lumbar support
- No USB support (not in the Indian version - might come as an upgrade later on)
- The phone button on the steering is dummy (the music system is not integrated as in Germany)
- Very cramped for the 5'th person with the central hump and the air con vents..
- Lower ground clearance (than Laura) may lead to Civic like issues

Bottom line: With their limited network (they are going to expand across the country to B/C cities as well, but not necessarily within cities), the size of the car and the price, the accord is a lot more car for money with only the diesel fuel economy and DSG being the difference. Test driving the accord today..
Old 19th July 2008, 10:07   #185
BHPian

brilliant car with alot of kit, but a tad overpriced. i phoned elite motors today in BLR, 19 odd lakhs for the DSG, 16 odd lakhs for the 1.9 tdi manual and 15 odd lakhs for the 1.6 petrol, which incidentally puts out only 102 hp. all prices are OTR. 16 for the DSG would seem resonable IMO.
still 'm sure it would sell like hot cakes, but paying close to 20 lakhs for a jetta is steep.
Old 19th July 2008, 10:55   #186
BHPian

The people's car comp has gone crazy, with only few of the dealers in the country ans such a steep price for 1.6 petrol (common see comp civic 2.0) & 1.9 Diesel pumpe duse (Good technology but fading out to Crdi for stricter emission norms), I dont think that this brand will live upto its name (People's Car)

Alles Gute Fuer VW in Indien! (In German, All the best for VW in India)

People's car comp has gone crazy!

How can they sell the car with the segment of civic and price of Accord ?

The comp itself is not clear with its stratigies, only few of the dealers, such a steep price, Old engines, God save this comp

Alles Gute fuer VW in Indien (In English, All the best for VW in India)

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 15 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Jaggu : 19th July 2008 at 13:01.
Old 19th July 2008, 15:10   #187
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Great report, Rangaraj. For a second, I thought you were describing the Laura in there.

Quote:
Audi for Luxury, VW for Premium and Skoda for thrill (if i remember right).
There is VW's main problem : Skoda is already perceived as a luxury brand in India. Whats the difference between luxury and premium? Beats me. I can't wait to see how the Indian market treats the Laura & Passat overlap. We will lap up the Passat, no doubt on that. But will we give up our fascination with the Laura?

The Indian market is the most unpredictable there has been. Let the games begin
Old 19th July 2008, 15:30   #188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well in some of the articles I had read, the expectation was that the car would be priced around 11Lakhs.
Did you really believe those articles? Some of these articles written by "auto industry experts" even said the Jetta would compete with SX4 and NHC! I think thats the problem. Many people believing those articles now find the car over-priced. A similar thing is going to happen when the Linea is launched.

Quote:
I see that both front and rear parking sensors are absent in a car costing 20L onroad.
They are giving us 8 airbags and we complain about parking sensors!
Old 19th July 2008, 16:19   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakvrao View Post
I think the EU has a legal requirement that xenons should have auto levelling and washers.
The auto levelling has been available on the Octavia from the begining.
Old 19th July 2008, 18:22   #190
Senior - BHPian

Why don't Accord introduce lower verients with less features? It is already a very good VFM in compare to Skoda and VW. A lower verient will give a VVFM option for customers.
Old 19th July 2008, 21:31   #191
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangaraj View Post
Went to the launch event yesterday and here are my reactions:

Overall - The group seems to have a top down approach - introduce the top of the line models and subsequently bring out models/variants that are more affordable. The group's strategy of positioning was - Audi for Luxury, VW for Premium and Skoda for thrill (if i remember right).
I thought it was SEAT for thrills, and appeal to the younger buyer. Skoda seems, to me, to have a rather staid image. Audi, VW, Skoda? Luxury, Premium and economy.

Quote:
- No electrical seat adjustment except the lumbar support
- No USB support (not in the Indian version - might come as an upgrade later on)
Damn; I hate seats that don't support my USB properly.

The Jetta, in the UK market, is a bit of a nowhere car. People would much rather have the flexibility (and image) of the hatchback Golf, a car which is almost as much of a legend as the Beetle and has a huge following.

I suppose India's reaction to the Golf would be to walk away, saying, but it's a hatchback.

Sad.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 19th July 2008 at 21:32.
Old 19th July 2008, 21:51   #192
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
They are giving us 8 airbags and we complain about parking sensors!
The laura has 6 airbags and comes with the parking sensors. Airbags is good no doubt but the parking sensors is something pretty basic to miss out.
Old 19th July 2008, 22:01   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
Why don't Accord introduce lower verients with less features? It is already a very good VFM in compare to Skoda and VW. A lower verient will give a VVFM option for customers.
Well knowing Honda they would nt do that for atleast 1 year. Same thing has happened to Civic ( S version stopped E version launched). I think Honda s doing a brilliant thing by giving N3HC its own room and making sure it doesnt enter Civic territory( although N3HC aint launched). I think Civic V is doing its jobin 14-15 lacs segment. Maybe Honda will see the market feedback and then think of launching base version .
Old 19th July 2008, 22:26   #194
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
What features does the accord have in the first place. They have to give the basic stuff which is what the car has now. There are no gadgets so to speak off.
Old 19th July 2008, 22:57   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I can't wait to see how the Indian market treats the Laura & Passat overlap. We will lap up the Passat, no doubt on that. But will we give up our fascination with the Laura?

The Indian market is the most unpredictable there has been. Let the games begin
Err - You meant the Jetta right ?

Most Viewed