Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2008, 20:35   #226
Senior - BHPian

Aren't the i10 and Santro Xing too being sold side by side? Just asking.
Old 24th July 2008, 23:41   #227
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesal View Post
why not they are anyways ripping holes selling the octavia and laura side by side. which other country does that. they think indians are fools and will pay for anything. the best bit is they are right.

laura for 20 laks
civic hybrid for 22 laks
crv for 24 laks.
accord for 20 laks

they are all doping up good smoke and we are letting them take us for a ride surely by buying their so called luxury cars which are so normally priced all around the world.
its the tax structure of our country thats responsible for this kind of crazy pricing.
Old 24th July 2008, 23:54   #228

I called VW up yesterday asking for a TD. They said that the TDs will start from next week as soon as they get delegated cars for Test Drives. I will be driving one mostly on monday.
Old 25th July 2008, 13:01   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
its the tax structure of our country thats responsible for this kind of crazy pricing.
Sorry for being a pain. The tax structure is not responsible for this, its the companies' policy that is responsible.

The tax is taking care of the country. We all know how good this is for the Indian auto industry. In the longer term we will have better cars at even cheaper price then USA. Why don't they make all cars in India. We have all the resources. When we can export so many things from India due to cheap labor and other expenses, then why don't the companies make big cars here at even lower price than other countries and take advantage. As a matter of fact now they have realised this and are hurrying to set up their facilities. Mahindra exporting, Hyundai India exporting, Tatas, Maruti all in the race. Why do you think Tata's are buying major global brands. Due to the Tax structure only. Otherwise they would have died in the Auto business.

P.S.: I think we need a separate thread to discuss this subject.

Post EDITED since it contained various [FONT], [COLOR] and [SIZE] tags. Posting with such text formatting should be avoided on Team-BHP as it is inconvenient for members to read post. Kindly go through Announcements section before proceeding.

Thanking You for your anticipated co-operation

The Team-BHP Support Staff

Last edited by GTO : 25th July 2008 at 15:51. Reason: Font Tags! Also, do NOT use inappropriate language on Team-BHP. Thanks
Old 28th July 2008, 12:30   #230
BHPian

I think VW are already feeling the pinch, I just saw the ad for the Jetta yesterday and they were comparing themselves to 10 autos (Das Auto)
Old 28th July 2008, 13:00   #231
Senior - BHPian

I also saw in the add. What is 'Das Auto'?
Old 28th July 2008, 13:28   #232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
I also saw in the add. What is 'Das Auto'?
It is in German and it means The Car, I was just trying to make a joke of it since the pronounciation is like Dus Auto
Old 28th July 2008, 14:06   #233
Senior - BHPian

The Jetta was being reviewed on one the Zee channels by some woman.

Following are her words from the show translated into English and my reactions.

Zee Anchorwoman: While all other car makers are launching their latest models in India, VW is launching their decades old Jetta.

My initial reaction: Decades old?

Zee Anchorwoman: The Jetta was first launched by VW in 197x although the car was totally different from the one you see now.

My reaction:

This got me thinking:

1. Using her fantastic logic, every car in India is decades old. Will someone please tell her that Accord, Camry, Civic, Corolla were all launched in 197x? Heck, even the Maruti 800 is decades old!

2. Whose fault is is that VW or anyother car maker didn't launch their cars in 197x when they first launched their models worldwide?
Old 28th July 2008, 17:00   #234
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Amit, that wheelocity program is a joke. A bitterly annoying one at that. She evidently doesn't know too much about cars. Problem is....she is not a PYT either!
Old 29th July 2008, 14:07   #235
Senior - BHPian

Just checked out the Jetta prices from the ad on home pag.
for 1.6 liters for 12.97 lacs and 1.9 Liters for 14.22 lacs, with all that is built into the car, it is a steal, and must give Honda Civic, Skoda Octavia and Corolla a race for their money...!!!
Old 29th July 2008, 14:36   #236
Team-BHP Support

I think the OTR for the 1.0TDi Comfort line is 18.89L here in bangalore. That is 1L lesser than the DSG Laura at 19.92L.

Features missing in the Jetta are xenons, parking sensors, electric seats and the sunroof.

As per ACI and OD the Jetta's handling is superior than the Lauras and performance is slightly lesser due to the taller gearing and 30kgs extra weight of the Jetta.

The interesting comparison is with the Civic AT which one of the mags has done. The performance is on par with the Civic AT as the DSG doesn't sap performance at all. Since the driveablility is better of the diesel, the jetta is actually the better performer as per them. The civic doesn't have a good bottom end whereas the PD engine has loads of torque starting from 1200rpm.

Need to do a TD of the Jetta asap.
Old 31st July 2008, 18:10   #237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
I think the OTR for the 1.0TDi Comfort line is 18.89L here in bangalore. That is 1L lesser than the DSG Laura at 19.92L.

Features missing in the Jetta are xenons, parking sensors, electric seats and the sunroof.

As per ACI and OD the Jetta's handling is superior than the Lauras and performance is slightly lesser due to the taller gearing and 30kgs extra weight of the Jetta.

The interesting comparison is with the Civic AT which one of the mags has done. The performance is on par with the Civic AT as the DSG doesn't sap performance at all. Since the driveablility is better of the diesel, the jetta is actually the better performer as per them. The civic doesn't have a good bottom end whereas the PD engine has loads of torque starting from 1200rpm.

Need to do a TD of the Jetta asap.

I am assuming that 1.0 TDi is an error .A typo I mean !!!!!

The Jetta sounds good on paper, a respectable marquee at a reasonable price point. i think it may end up doing better than the Passat.

Cheers
Old 31st July 2008, 22:47   #238
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
I am assuming that 1.0 TDi is an error .A typo I mean !!!!!

The Jetta sounds good on paper, a respectable marquee at a reasonable price point. i think it may end up doing better than the Passat.

Cheers
Lol. yup a typo. It's the same 1.9TDi unit as the Laura.
Old 1st August 2008, 11:31   #239
Senior - BHPian

Das Auto is The Auto or the Automobile. How do I know? Karl Marx's Das Capital is The Capital.

On the sidelines, Marx is entirely forgotten in Germany but he is alive and still proposing no-confidence in India.
Old 1st August 2008, 12:53   #240
BHPian

Just saw a Jetta on the way to office, must say it really has a good street presence. Loved the looks. Finish is classy too. The car was shining bright!
I think quite a few people would prefer it to the Laura.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks