Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2009, 02:07   #136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
autocar also says itll be 22-23 lacs and not 19 as posted here though i guess thatll be different from city to city.

so this is the same engine as in the rs except in a different state of tune and using different injection technology?
Ya it does but Akshay let's not forget they have mentioned the bombay pricing and they always take the upper limit, also bombay pricing involves the Octroi charges, which sums upto close to a lakh.

No not really not exactly the same. There are lot of internal changes also to the bore and stroke, nothing is the same, it uses a IHI turbo intsead of the K03 turbo. The new 1.8TSi engine (sister engine to the new ’08 2.0TSi/TFSi) is nothing like the old 1.8T. It’s a new engine with the new engine management system, MED17. Instead of the belt it has two toothed chain driven counter-rotating balancing shafts suppressing second degree free inertial forces and oil-pump. Complete new fueling system. There are lot many things have changed which have resulted in a more fuel efficient motor.

Last edited by Invinsible : 27th February 2009 at 02:17.
Old 27th February 2009, 03:12   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post

No not really not exactly the same. There are lot of internal changes also to the bore and stroke, nothing is the same, it uses a IHI turbo intsead of the K03 turbo. The new 1.8TSi engine (sister engine to the new ’08 2.0TSi/TFSi) is nothing like the old 1.8T. It’s a new engine with the new engine management system, MED17. Instead of the belt it has two toothed chain driven counter-rotating balancing shafts suppressing second degree free inertial forces and oil-pump. Complete new fueling system. There are lot many things have changed which have resulted in a more fuel efficient motor.
Whoa!!! That was a lot of engineering jargon! But can you simplify it for my brain please?

Is it more powerful than the RS then? For examples, will it beat the RS in a race?
Old 27th February 2009, 08:10   #138
BHPian

Quote:
8 Airbags. Guess the knee airbag has been omitted much what I thought.
Disappointing news. Skoda India used to be a leader in introducing auto safety features for Indians wishing to buy cars under 20 lakhs. The Octavia was the first car, unless I'm wrong, under 20 lakhs to have a four-star EuroNCAP rating and dual front airbags. The Laura was the first under 20 lakhs to get four stars, 6 airbags and ESP.

Naturally, with this excellent history, one would hope Skoda India would want to raise the bar and offer the first five star rated Skoda especially for their flagship car. Selling a Superb with anything less is a slap on the face of Indians. Of course, Honda, Toyota, Benz, etc. have in the past and are currently doing the same thing. Skoda is merely following in their footsteps.

Without the knee airbag, the Superb becomes merely a four star car. As a result, the Indian Passat is, arguably, the safest car under 30 lakhs.

Last edited by Dose : 27th February 2009 at 08:13.
Old 27th February 2009, 09:21   #139
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I was just thinking of the competitive effect:

1. Bye bye VW Passat? The seemingly "superb" new Superb is just one more reason that makes the VW Passat pointless.

2. No wonder Honda decided to launch the V6 in such a hurry.

3. I see a good number of entry level C / 3 / A4 customers, atleast cross-checking with the Superb before making their decision. A 6 month sales performance chart from Vasudeva will show the real effect.
Old 27th February 2009, 09:31   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dose View Post

Without the knee airbag, the Superb becomes merely a four star car. As a result, the Indian Passat is, arguably, the safest car under 30 lakhs.
Without a knee airbag it doesn't become unsafe. It's not just the knee airbag that brings it 5 star rating. There are many other parameters. Mainly how the body and the chassis has been designed. You still have eight airbag, and ESP, TRACTION CONTROL, ABS, EBD. ESP is this one is cut above the other skodas since they have completely designed all new management system. It's also the electronics that plays major role. The Knee airbag was introduced as drivers in europe on an avg are much healthier and taller than are Indian counterparts and mainly the avg driving speed is higher than what we do. People at Autocar havn't even mentioned about the knee airbag all they did it comes with 8 airbag. Don't think they miss it and its the overall package that counts, the electronics and comfort features are being compared here with BMW and MERCS, that's a big thing.
That way Merc and BMW should be 4 start rating too with a knee airbag. Or rather I put a knee airbag in my fabia and get a five star rating.
Just kidding.

Last edited by Invinsible : 27th February 2009 at 09:33.
Old 27th February 2009, 09:55   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by f450 View Post
Whoa!!! That was a lot of engineering jargon! But can you simplify it for my brain please?

Is it more powerful than the RS then? For examples, will it beat the RS in a race?
Both engines in their own respective are powerful. RS engine is tuners delight, that has the upper hand since it has bein there for over a decade there are many who makes upgrades for these where getting 300bhp is a mere piece of cake for it. New engine is using a IHI turbo which is designed in a way to give you more torque at much lower revs and higher midrange. How many petrol cars have their peak turbo output (250NM) at 1500 rpm, may be BMW 335i can at 1400 but that's again with twin turbo not single. It's not just the turbo that helps, its new complete fueling system and other parameters that are equally imp too to get to this. More torque earlier means better drivability and cruising, by pressing less on the gas thus getting better mileage. that's 100kph at 2200 rpm at 7th gear. With that aim they introduced IHI turbo to this one. TSI on 1.8 is not supercharged unlike the 1.4 TSI which is both supercharged and turbocharged delivering 170PS. Just amazing. Power well it depends, It's like how much can you eat it all depends on that.

But definitely in near future there would be upgrades available, may be with mere hybrid IHI turbo, remap and all new intercooler it shouldn't be difficult to get around 250 bhp 400+Nm of torque or a turbo and other upgrade and you get around 300bhp or so. who needs a V6?
Talking about V6 they have plans to bring in the 3.2 TFSI engine 265BHP, 4 wheel dive superb, wonder what would that engine do the car.

Anyways coming back to car. Don't think the rear legroom here has any competition in its segment. Though the wheel base is shorter than the previous version it still more rear legroom than it. Simply Marvellous. Seating three people abreast with acres of legroom on longer drives shouldn't be a problem. They have also added the electrically retractable rear sun blinds and on rear doors too. Very thoughtful feature. And not to forget AFS lightening system again first in the segment with bi xenon light and cornering light feature too on the foglamp.

Quote:
That way Merc and BMW should be 4 start rating too without a knee airbag. Or rather I put a knee airbag in my fabia and get a five star rating.
Just kidding

Last edited by Invinsible : 27th February 2009 at 10:14.
Old 27th February 2009, 10:13   #142
Senior - BHPian

Those are some good numbers there. when is the car getting launched?
Old 27th February 2009, 10:33   #143
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Anyways coming back to car. Don't think the rear legroom here has any competition in its segment. Though the wheel base is shorter than the previous version it still more rear legroom than it. Simply Marvellous. Seating three people abreast with acres of legroom on longer drives shouldn't be a problem. They have also added the electrically retractable rear sun blinds and on rear doors too. Very thoughtful feature. And not to forget AFS lightening system again first in the segment with bi xenon light and cornering light feature too on the foglamp.
The sun blinds are manually operated, on rear windows and windscreen.
Old 27th February 2009, 10:50   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
The sun blinds are manually operated, on rear windows and windscreen.
Well it's not me it's the Autocar mentions in their roadtest that says it is electrically adjustable.
Old 27th February 2009, 10:58   #145
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Well it's not me it's the Autocar mentions in their roadtest that says it is electrically adjustable.
Yes, I read that. They also wrongly mentioned the car has 2 airbags (instead of 8), rear drums (instead of discs), steering is rake adjustable (instead of reach and rake). Top speed is estimated at 205 kmph, the true figure is closer to 220.
Old 27th February 2009, 11:55   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I read that. They also wrongly mentioned the car has 2 airbags (instead of 8), rear drums (instead of discs), steering is rake adjustable (instead of reach and rake). Top speed is estimated at 205 kmph, the true figure is closer to 220.
So far as I can read it says 8 eirbags. Regarding the steering well even my fabia is rake and reach so is the civic, so I wonder how this one will have just rake. Almost every car 10L+ segment has a reach and rake steering column adjustment. I did check this on the V6 Superb which was also displayed at Autocar performance Show and it had both.
Old 27th February 2009, 12:04   #147
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So far as I can read it says 8 eirbags. Regarding the steering well even my fabia is rake and reach so is the civic, so I wonder how this one will have just rake. Almost every car 10L+ segment has a reach and rake steering column adjustment. I did check this on the V6 Superb which was also displayed at Autocar performance Show and it had both.
In the specifications table it reads 2 airbags.

The car does have reach and rake adjustable steering, in the spec table it was mentioned as only rake.
Old 27th February 2009, 12:42   #148
BHPian

Quote:
People at Autocar havn't even mentioned about the knee airbag
Most auto magazines around the world are not good enough to be used even as toilet paper.

With the internet and sites like Teambhp, car enthusiasts and prospective customers are able to help each other cut through the b.s. and make a more informed decision before buying a car or recommending one to a friend.

The first Indian auto magazine issue that mentions the glaring omission of the Indian Superb's knee airbag and how that negatively affects its frontal crash results is the one that earns my respect and my money.
Old 27th February 2009, 12:51   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In the specifications table it reads 2 airbags.

The car does have reach and rake adjustable steering, in the spec table it was mentioned as only rake.
Well regarding the airbags it's just a misprint where as on next page under test scorecard they are saying 8 airbags.

That's the knee airbag you are talking about. How many manufacturers have introduced knee airbags in their cars?
Attached Thumbnails
SCOOP : New Skoda Superb Caught testing in Bangalore. PICS on Pg. 2,5-knee-airbag1.jpg  

Last edited by Invinsible : 27th February 2009 at 12:57.
Old 27th February 2009, 18:32   #150
BHPian

karlosdeville, since Skoda is also looking to launch the fresh octavia (laura) with the same 160hp engine, as well as similar interior upgrades like media interface, GPS etc., and superb price is anticipated to be as low as 19.5, does that mean top end laura's price will actually go downwards after the upgrades, given it does not have any of the superb's lux features or space, and already costs close to 17.5 ex
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks