Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2008, 15:30   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
dreamdiesel you should be able to tell from the large size of the car that its not a Fabia. Like Invisible says, its the 280 bhp Superb.

Supposed to have 3 engine options. Was announced at ACI performance show
-2.0 FSI direct injection petrol turbo
-2.0 diesel PD similar to Passat
-3.6 liter V6 petrol with almost 280 bhp
Well to be precise it would be coming with:
1.8TSI petrol 160bhp
2.0TDI 140bhp (not with PD tech this time)
3.6 L V6 petrol 260bhp 4x4 drive, with the new 7speed DSG gearbox

More details log on to their web and would get the correct figures or as I said get all the details on Škoda - Our Cars
Old 3rd February 2009, 09:40   #77
BHPian

wasnt the car supposed to be lunched in the month of Jan ? That was told to me by numerous dealers of Skoda, and i had read from the posts of members.
Old 9th February 2009, 00:39   #78
Senior - BHPian

I guess it has been shifted to march.
Will confirm with my source tomorrow.
Old 9th February 2009, 04:03   #79
BHPian

Is the car going to be available here with all those engine options ? I thought this car would have been already launched because Skoda was giving ridiculous Discounts for the old model.
Old 9th February 2009, 13:43   #80
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I think they have had a soft launch, been seeing the new Superb on a variety of news channels since yesterday.
Old 9th February 2009, 13:49   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Make that 8 lacs for the "proper" Fabias.

Anyone who says that Skoda prices their cars well has got to be kidding. Selling the newer version of the Octavia (Laura) for 19 lakhs?!
Other than the Fabia, Skoda has got all their costings perfect. 19 lacs for a car that has DSG and ESP is not expensive. try to get these features one will have to shell our around 30 lacs or more.

the old superb at 25 lakhs was a deal considering the kit one got in it and the space too in it.

So I do believe that Skoda has got its pricing spot on.

Cheers,
AC
Old 18th February 2009, 09:42   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
I guess it has been shifted to march.
Will confirm with my source tomorrow.

Is it tomorrow now? :P

I need to know if its launched or not :(, about to buy a new car and was eagerly waiting for the Superb :(.
Old 18th February 2009, 10:52   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

I picked up Autocar malaysia edition last week. They actually did a comparo of the Bentley flying spur, New 7, S-class and the New Superb !

And much to our surprise, the Superb didn't score too bad. In fact on many ratings especially on the comfort and interior front, the superb scored equal or more than most of the other cars.

The new superbs cabin is heavenly especially at the back.
Old 18th February 2009, 11:11   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
I picked up Autocar malaysia edition last week. They actually did a comparo of the Bentley flying spur, New 7, S-class and the New Superb !

And much to our surprise, the Superb didn't score too bad. In fact on many ratings especially on the comfort and interior front, the superb scored equal or more than most of the other cars.

The new superbs cabin is heavenly especially at the back.

Isnt this comparison a bit not on par?

Never heard of any magazine comparing a Skoda with a Bentley or even a Beemer or a Merc.
Old 18th February 2009, 11:56   #85
BHPian

the back looks like a old ford taurus or toyota corolla(US-2000 model). but still not that bad !

i had driven a superb sometime back and it was really superb.. all the features u can think of..
Old 18th February 2009, 12:03   #86
Senior - BHPian

Here is another comparison with BMW, Mercedes done by Fifth gear's Tom Ford. Have a look.
Simply Superb!

The Show - Fifth Gear
Old 20th February 2009, 08:19   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
As posted else where I been informed that the diesel will only be PD pumping out 140 bhp
I heard a few bits of information about the Indian 2009 Superb:

1) No knee airbag. If true, it is now, imho, a Pre-2009 rating EuroNCAP four-star car instead of a five-star which means it will not be able to dethrone the Passat as safest car under 30 lakhs.

2) Engines:

a) 2.0 PD 140 bhp diesel (getting the hand-me-down from the Passat, though hopefully the sound insulation will be good enough that it will not matter.)

b) 1.8 TSI 160 bhp petrol

3) Both engines get DSG with flappy paddles

3) Bi-xenon with AFS

4) No Park Assist

5) No news about the AWD V6 petrol or the 170 bhp CRDI diesel.

6) Launch probably by the end of this month.

Let's see which of these bits is correct when the car is launched. Hopefully, the knee airbag will be offered at least as an option.

Regarding Fabia 1.9 diesel or 1.8 petrol, no news. Maybe sometime this year.
Old 20th February 2009, 11:09   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx45 View Post
Isnt this comparison a bit not on par?

Never heard of any magazine comparing a Skoda with a Bentley or even a Beemer or a Merc.
Exactly !
The superb does not have the prestige/technology/engine,etc of the other marquees but it does offer value in terms of comfort thats somewhat comparable to cars that are upto 10 times it price!
Old 23rd February 2009, 15:57   #89
BHPian

Hi everyone,
Today I took my Skoda Laura for its regular service at one of the prominent Skoda dealer in NCR. But that’s not the real story, the real story is Skoda Superb 2009.

Yes guys its already with the dealers and is ready for launch in 2nd week of march. So couple of things that I noticed about the Superb 2009 are listed below –

1. The look –
When I first saw the pictures I was not very impressed but but in real it look good ( I still cant say it’s a fabulous design). So once new Skoda Laura/Octavia is launched the family will be complete.

2. Adaptive headlights –
Its got those adaptive headlight that adjust itself according to the car’s speed or according to steering position. The guy told me it is 6 way adjustable (I didn’t quite get what he was trying to say).

3. Touch Screen ICE –
It has complete touch screen ICE that can control all aspect of car entertainment though it does not come with DVD player or navigation. It does have Bluetooth phone connection (as per the sales guy) to hook up your mobile with ICE and a memory card reader so that you don’t have to burn disk every now and then.

4. Gearbox –
It’s a seven speed DSG box. It is joy to drive my Skoda Laura with 6 speed auto so I can imagine how much fun its gonna be with 7 speed. Oh ya he also told me that it will come with paddle shift ( I don’t think Skoda really know what kind of a customer they want to target with this car).

5. Engine –
Its 2.0 petrol that is saw churning out 160 bhp. I was told that it can easily cruise at 200+ kph. But they have squeezed out quite a many horses out of that engine. I didn’t have the figure on the torque. As far as the diesel goes I think he told me 2.4 PD (Don’t remember that sorry about that guys).

6. Price –
Ok this is the real surprise the 19.5 lakh OTR (Delhi) for Superb petrol.

So over all I think it’s a good car BUT I don’t know the real target audience they are looking at. Older car was chauffer driven for people who wanted big car but didn’t wanted to spend that big (and was not concern with brand value). Current car is aimed at people who want to drive on their own (Superb 2009 is driver-centric car). I think it defies the whole purpose of Skoda superb. If I buy Skoda superb I would like to be driven in it not driving it. Another thing the price point at which they are planning to sell will cannibalize there Skoda Laura market. But it might take some share from 20 – 30 lakh segment. Personally if you ask me I will not buy it.
Attached Thumbnails
SCOOP : New Skoda Superb Caught testing in Bangalore. PICS on Pg. 2,5-img_0043.jpg  

SCOOP : New Skoda Superb Caught testing in Bangalore. PICS on Pg. 2,5-img_0042.jpg  

SCOOP : New Skoda Superb Caught testing in Bangalore. PICS on Pg. 2,5-img_0046.jpg  

SCOOP : New Skoda Superb Caught testing in Bangalore. PICS on Pg. 2,5-img_0044.jpg  

SCOOP : New Skoda Superb Caught testing in Bangalore. PICS on Pg. 2,5-img_0047.jpg  

Old 23rd February 2009, 16:14   #90
BHPian

Fantastic, been waiting for it, now 3 more weeks to go . Hopefully ill get this car, going to go to one of the dealers and see when i can get the earliest delivery.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed