Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2009, 19:40   #91
BHPian

OMG! 19.5?? are you sure about the price OTR? so you mean to say it will cost 18 Ex showroom?
Old 23rd February 2009, 21:51   #92
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Another thing the price point at which they are planning to sell will cannibalize there Skoda Laura market. But it might take some share from 20 – 30 lakh segment. Personally if you ask me I will not buy it.
Expect the facelift Laura to be repositioned. Wonder where the Jetta stands now!
Old 23rd February 2009, 22:22   #93
Senior - BHPian

It really looks Superb. Pricing is a shocker though.
Old 23rd February 2009, 22:47   #94
Senior - BHPian

there is a "superb" launch party on 9th march
Old 23rd February 2009, 22:48   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manu7781 View Post
6. Price –
Ok this is the real surprise the 19.5 lakh OTR (Delhi) for Superb petrol.
I seriously doubt this. Fully loaded Lauras easily reach that figure in KA land. The old one was going for 22-23 but had a V6.
Old 23rd February 2009, 23:01   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
there is a "superb" launch party on 9th march
Ya.. I was told the same.. I might go if time and work permits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
I seriously doubt this. Fully loaded Lauras easily reach that figure in KA land. The old one was going for 22-23 but had a V6.
I guess its because of 1.8 TSI engine (my bad that I listed it as 2.0 in my previous post.. Sorry about that)
Old 23rd February 2009, 23:43   #97
BHPian

manu, are you sure about the price though?
Old 24th February 2009, 00:34   #98
BHPian

This is fantastic fantastic news...Can't wait for confirmed details!
Old 24th February 2009, 00:45   #99
Senior - BHPian

Reminds me of Linea from the rear.
Old 24th February 2009, 00:48   #100
BHPian

19.5 for the superb ? so what are they planning on doing with the Laura , Octavia and Fabia ? Maybe the recession's hit them bad real bad.
Old 24th February 2009, 00:53   #101
Senior - BHPian

I don't think it will be a PD. As VW is completely eradicating it and shifting to Common rail.
Old 24th February 2009, 01:21   #102
Senior - BHPian

Well Well Well, What do we have a here.. that's skoda learning lesson from their past i suppose. I guess to be on safer side they probably thought it would be a safer bet to launch with that price. No doubt its a TERRIFIC pricing. And for a petrol suits it. 19.5 L on road is suppose is Delhi pricing. I guess it's a 1.8TSI petrol? Don't think it could be 2.0TFSI engine that's 200bhp and in detune state 180bhp.

I am sure the Diesel would be expensive by a Lakh and may be the V6 which also comes with 4 wheel drive system should be around 24Lakh atleast, on road. Something to watch out for.

Now it's definately gonna give some sleepless to the Honda. And may be some sleepless night to the owners of this new superb over the maintenance of it. But at this cost you get the wonderful DSG GEARBOX, acres of legroom both in front and rear, solid built, and a great highway cruiser.

Surely gonna eat the Passat and Camry RAW and may be some bit of SUV market. Had sat in the car and I am 6" 90kgs and I must say both the front and rear was much more spacious than the Accord (Just what I felt ) with the front seats pushed back completely. The centre console has been slimmed down so there's 19mm more knee space for the driver width-wise - useful for long-haul trips. Now what's something to look about is the handling and steering feedback with long wheelbase that's surely a tough job to take care of.
Nevertheless it's gonna be a great car to be chauffeur driven on weekdays and enjoying driving on weekends.

Hope they give it a 2.0TDi CRwith 170bhp. But if not they would put it the 2.0 TDI PD 140 bhp engine to begin with and may be in future give the 2.0 TDI CR DPF 170bhp (CRDi), and up the price a little. Surely the one to have. Liked the color.

Here's some info on AFS lightening system. Headlamps | Hella KGaA Hueck & Co..

Surely my next by in couple of months

Last edited by Invinsible : 24th February 2009 at 01:27.
Old 24th February 2009, 09:00   #103
Senior - BHPian

19.5 L OTR for a Superb! Seems wishful thinking to me! But if its true - they have work cutout in repositioning the Octy's and Lauras. 15L OTR Laura's and 10L OTR Octy's anyone?

Well on second thoughts not impossible - Skoda sales having been pretty bad over the past so many months.
Old 24th February 2009, 13:14   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manu7781 View Post
2. Adaptive headlights –
Its got those adaptive headlight that adjust itself according to the car’s speed or according to steering position. The guy told me it is 6 way adjustable (I didn’t quite get what he was trying to say).

4. Gearbox –
It’s a seven speed DSG box. It is joy to drive my Skoda Laura with 6 speed auto so I can imagine how much fun its gonna be with 7 speed. Oh ya he also told me that it will come with paddle shift ( I don’t think Skoda really know what kind of a customer they want to target with this car).

5. Engine –

...BUT I don’t know the real target audience they are looking at. Older car was chauffer driven for people who wanted big car but didn’t wanted to spend that big (and was not concern with brand value). Current car is aimed at people who want to drive on their own (Superb 2009 is driver-centric car). I think it defies the whole purpose of Skoda superb. If I buy Skoda superb I would like to be driven in it not driving it. Another thing the price point at which they are planning to sell will cannibalize there Skoda Laura market. But it might take some share from 20 – 30 lakh segment. Personally if you ask me I will not buy it.
I am involved with the project, so allow me clear a few doubts.

The Adaptive Frontlight System, abbreviated as AFS, adapts the throw of the light beam based on -

- load (headlight levelling changes with accelaration, braking, inclination, descent, weight distribution in passenger and luggage compartments etc)
- steering angle,
- climatic conditions (e.g. rain conditions)
- speed (width and length of beam alters gradually with speed).

Additionally, the front fog lights turn on (left or right) with the steering wheel angle, to assist illuminating blind spots. Bi-Xenons are standard, with an auxilliary halogen unit. There are many more clever goodies, I would be glad to share if anyone is interested.

I have spent a fair amount of time driving and being driven in the car. It would be incorrect to say the car is only driver friendly and nothing catered for the rear passenger. Legroom (best in class) has increased over the previous version though wheelbase has been reduced. There are rear airbags, there are B pillar mounted adjustable AC vents - a first. Plenty of neat little touches like a "lounge step" - essentially a foot rest for the rear. Nappa leather is standard. Rear retractable screens are fitted. And dont forget the famous umbrella with wet case in the rear door True, it is a brilliant drivers car (1.8 TSi has 160bhp, 250Nm torque, DSG paddle shift overrides in any mode), but that doesn't take away from the "chauffer driven experience".
Old 25th February 2009, 10:26   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
There are many more clever goodies, I would be glad to share if anyone is interested.

There are rear airbags
What kind of rear airbags? Are they curtain or seat-mounted thorax airbags? Are they standard or optional? Are they armed at the factory or does the dealer have to do it only after the customer requests it?

Is it true that the driver knee airbag will not be offered even as an option?

Any information about the AWD V6 version or the 170 bhp CRDI?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed