Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2009, 11:24   #106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dose View Post
What kind of rear airbags? Are they curtain or seat-mounted thorax airbags? Are they standard or optional? Are they armed at the factory or does the dealer have to do it only after the customer requests it?

Is it true that the driver knee airbag will not be offered even as an option?

Any information about the AWD V6 version or the 170 bhp CRDI?

The rear airbags are given near the rear seat on the C piller just like in the pic. I doubt they would give the knee airbag. May be all the airbags should be loaded with the V6 version. If even they do give as option will be great but I doubt if there are gonna be any takers for the rear airbags. Knee airbags I feel should be a must.

I suppose they are launching V6 after few months of the launch of petrol and Diesel version. 170 CRDI also could be launched latter in the future as an upgrade to the 140 bhp PD engine. Put no doubt it will be great Value to have a 170 CRDI if they launch that as of now.

Speaking of comfort attaching a pic which shows how comfortable it can get to the extreme if the front seats pushed all the way front. Doubt if they give this feature here. Just hope they do, nothing would beat it. 1st in class i guess. This would definately make it a great comfortable cruiser.
Attached Thumbnails
SCOOP : New Skoda Superb Caught testing in Bangalore. PICS on Pg. 2,5-skoda-superb.jpg  

SCOOP : New Skoda Superb Caught testing in Bangalore. PICS on Pg. 2,5-1.jpg  

Last edited by Invinsible : 25th February 2009 at 11:28.
Old 25th February 2009, 13:06   #107
Senior - BHPian

I don't understand VW groups strategy in India. Everywhere else in the world new technology is introduced first in VW or Audi range of cars and then it trickles down into Skoda's. It's working the other way round here in India. DSG first came in Skoda, AFS and 7 speed DSG is also supposed to be here in the Superb first before the Passat or Audi's. Since the novelty of DSG was taken over by Skoda shouldn't VW have launched the 7 speed DSG in Passat or better still in the new A4? (Audi's India website has barely any information on the car.) Why is VW allowing Skoda to set the technology benchmark over here?
Old 25th February 2009, 17:53   #108
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I am pleasantly surprised by the Superbs pricing; 19.5 lakhs OTR in Delhi equates to about 21.xx in Mumbai. 2 - 3 lakhs more than the Accord, but what you get is the Euro build, a far better level of kit, the best slushbox in the world and possibly more room. Is this pricing confirmed? I don't like the looks, but the market almost certainly will.

P.S. Only Skoda could over-price a hatchback and well-price a luxury sedan. If you guys are indeed on the right track, how about a price correction on the Fabia too?
Old 25th February 2009, 17:58   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I am pleasantly surprised by the Superbs pricing; 19.5 lakhs OTR in Delhi equates to about 21.xx in Mumbai. 2 - 3 lakhs more than the Accord, but what you get is the Euro build, a far better level of kit, the best slushbox in the world and possibly more room...
Im led to believe rear leg room is substantially larger than the 7 series and S class!

I too took time getting used to the looks on the car. In deep wine red (called Rosso Brunello) it looks stunning though.

Last edited by karlosdeville : 25th February 2009 at 18:08.
Old 25th February 2009, 18:32   #110
Team-BHP Support

Karlos any specs of the diesel? Somehow I don't think the pricing is true.
Old 25th February 2009, 18:45   #111
BHPian

Everyone seems to be doubtful about the price. Gotten too used to Skoda ripping us off!
Old 25th February 2009, 19:09   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Karlos any specs of the diesel? Somehow I don't think the pricing is true.
The diesel shall be a 2 litre unit 140bhp 320nm motor, peak torque is available from 1800 to 2500 rpm. A 6 speed DSG box is standard. Im in love with the TSi petrol though.

Pricing will be announced soon. I too am pleasantly surprised
Old 25th February 2009, 19:35   #113
BHPian

There is alot of discussion going on about the price. The price I wrote in my post was given to me by Skoda Sales guy (Someone Sr. I guess) so it is still not official, but we will come to know about it on 9th of coming month..
Old 25th February 2009, 19:39   #114
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by f450 View Post
Everyone seems to be doubtful about the price. Gotten too used to Skoda ripping us off!
Why single out skoda - everyone has had rip off moments - maruti with the Baleno, Hyundai with the tuscon, HM with the Cedia etc.

Basic premise of market economics is that the seller will sell at the highest price which is acceptable to the customer. It is not that there are too many skoda's gthering dust. The octy is now aging no doubt. Logans are a begging as also embera's and a whole lot more
Old 25th February 2009, 21:03   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Why single out skoda - everyone has had rip off moments - maruti with the Baleno, Hyundai with the tuscon, HM with the Cedia etc.

Basic premise of market economics is that the seller will sell at the highest price which is acceptable to the customer. It is not that there are too many skoda's gthering dust. The octy is now aging no doubt. Logans are a begging as also embera's and a whole lot more
Agree with all your examples. But surely there can't be many car manufacturers that sell new and updated models of a car that is neither produced nor sold ANYWHERE else in the world (Octavia). Nor do they sell both the old version and the new version of the same car under different names and at different prices...

That said, as you mentioned, most car manufacturers take India for a ride (both literally and metamorphically). Indian car buyers are excessively gullible.
Old 25th February 2009, 21:10   #116
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
The diesel shall be a 2 litre unit 140bhp 320nm motor, peak torque is available from 1800 to 2500 rpm. A 6 speed DSG box is standard. Im in love with the TSi petrol though.

Pricing will be announced soon. I too am pleasantly surprised
So is that a CRDi unit like the new A4 and recently updated passat or the PD engine in the older Passat.
Old 25th February 2009, 21:38   #117
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Agree with all your examples. But surely there can't be many car manufacturers that sell new and updated models of a car that is neither produced nor sold ANYWHERE else in the world (Octavia). Nor do they sell both the old version and the new version of the same car under different names and at different prices...
Jetta 2, Bora and current Jetta are sold in China all together. suzuki replaced the 800 with the Zen which was replaced by the Alto wchich was replaced by the A-Star. Ditto Santro and i10, Getz and i20,
Old 25th February 2009, 21:46   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Jetta 2, Bora and current Jetta are sold in China all together. suzuki replaced the 800 with the Zen which was replaced by the Alto wchich was replaced by the A-Star. Ditto Santro and i10, Getz and i20,
Okay, I take back that part. I'd just like to re-emphasise the latter part of my post. (Indians-gullible etc.)

But since you mention China, it's probably more a West-East thing..
Old 26th February 2009, 10:09   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by f450 View Post
Have to point out that the Octavia that we get is very much sold side by side to the Laura (called Octavia Tour elsewhere I think) in many European contries including Germany.

And lets face it - the Octavia, however old it is, is still a fantastic product dont you agree? Why should a product be discontinued if still competitive?
Old 26th February 2009, 10:35   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Im led to believe rear leg room is substantially larger than the 7 series and S class!

I too took time getting used to the looks on the car. In deep wine red (called Rosso Brunello) it looks stunning though.
Forget the BMW & Merc, its even has more leg room than the Bentley Flying Spur !

The car does look better in flesh than pics, even if you still detest the looks, have a seat inside and you will be sold !

If I was in the market for a luxury car now, I wouldn't look beyond this one. The superb has a fair bit of snob value in India already, it's defiantly worth the 2-3 lakhs over the Accord. And if Skoda throws in a maintenance package, deal sealer!!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed