Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2008, 20:51   #1
Senior - BHPian

Honda City Woes!! Shame on toughness

guys, have you read the news in the news papers or heard from some one regarding the accident of a national level cyclist Ronak Barman, hit by a Honda City, in Pune inside telco colony? (reference DNA, pune, monday June-30, 2008).

Unfortunately it happened just 2 min before i reached the spot. the scene was horrible. a reckless driver speeding and colliding head on with a light weight racing cycle, which Ronak was driving during his practice session in the early morning.

Sorry i couldnt snap any pics as seeing the cell in my hand the security ran towards me and said not to snap as its occurred in tata premises.

Looking at the honda city everyone would have felt that some Sumo or truck has smashed into it. Broken windshield, complete curled up bonnet, the front bumper smashed into 3 pieces, burst tire and some radiator and other components thrown out along with broken AC pipes. i could also observe the front driver seat bent towards the windshield.

i couldnt believe this pathetic condition of a NHC against a light weigh race cycle which happens to be the thinnest cycle that we ever see. the cycle too was totally smashed.

thankfully due to the helmet the 14 year old student was saved and was rushed within minutes to the adjacent hospital. had it been outside the premises the public would have trashed the driver and burnt his NHC.
he had hit him in the centre of the road.

i am imagining what will happen if the NHC hits a truck?

guys, if anyone has those pics please post.
Old 30th June 2008, 20:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

Glad to know that the 14 year old survived this nasty accident due to the recklessness of a moron.

Wait till the NHC lovers post here regarding the build quality.You just started a thread where a lot of NHC bashing is bound to happen .
Old 30th June 2008, 21:05   #3
SLK
Senior - BHPian

I'm not quite sure if I can believe every word written here....

All i'm saying is, there has to be more to the story than just hitting the lightest cycle!
Old 30th June 2008, 21:12   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
I'm not quite sure if I can believe every word written here....

All i'm saying is, there has to be more to the story than just hitting the lightest cycle!
I agree. Its almost impossible to believe the damage caused unless the driver swerved and hit something else before or after the impact with the cyclist. Thank heavens the cyclist is alright. The discussion here should be more on why people drive this crazy and not exactly on how the car was damaged. As we all know more the car crumples more cushioned is the impact.
Old 30th June 2008, 21:12   #5
BHPian

Well I guess thats what 'crumple zones' are supposed to do right?
Old 30th June 2008, 21:13   #6
Senior - BHPian

Sorry guys, there is no offense meant towards any NHC owners.
This happens with maruti vehicles very often. i remember a minor accident with my maruti alto costed me a lot. that time also i didnt belive hitting a ford fiesta at 20-30 kmph from behind will break half the altos front.

There is no other story rather than the bicycle. The spot where the accident occurred is a very isolated place, and the cycle and the honda city both were tangled up without anyone moving any of the vehicle. the security people at the gate 200 mtrs away heard a huge bang and the honda city couldnt flee as the tyre was burst and so was the car. the security people reached the spot within minutes and grabbed the young guy learning to drive the NHC.

i will try to get the pics if anyone has got them, or i will go to nearest police station and check whether the car is lying with them and take a snap.

Last edited by amit_mechengg : 30th June 2008 at 21:15.
Old 30th June 2008, 21:14   #7
Senior - BHPian

Well, my pal's NHC CVT was hit by a Indicab from behind, when he slowed down at a speedbreaker near Microsoft.
Result: a completely caved in dickey for the NHC, that cost 50 grand to repair, and a bent bumper in the Indica (that scooted away before my pal recovered from the shock).
Old 30th June 2008, 21:40   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
guys, have you read the news in the news papers or heard from some one regarding the accident of a national level cyclist Ronak Barman, hit by a Honda City, in Pune inside telco colony? (reference DNA, pune, monday June-30, 2008).

Unfortunately it happened just 2 min before i reached the spot. the scene was horrible. a reckless driver speeding and colliding head on with a light weight racing cycle, which Ronak was driving during his practice session in the early morning.

Sorry i couldnt snap any pics as seeing the cell in my hand the security ran towards me and said not to snap as its occurred in tata premises.

Looking at the honda city everyone would have felt that some Sumo or truck has smashed into it. Broken windshield, complete curled up bonnet, the front bumper smashed into 3 pieces, burst tire and some radiator and other components thrown out along with broken AC pipes. i could also observe the front driver seat bent towards the windshield.

i couldnt believe this pathetic condition of a NHC against a light weigh race cycle which happens to be the thinnest cycle that we ever see. the cycle too was totally smashed.

thankfully due to the helmet the 14 year old student was saved and was rushed within minutes to the adjacent hospital. had it been outside the premises the public would have trashed the driver and burnt his NHC.
he had hit him in the centre of the road.

i am imagining what will happen if the NHC hits a truck?

guys, if anyone has those pics please post.
Dude lets just think the other way round, do you think the kid would have survived if the NHC was built tough? Think again! for One moment you are claimimg it to be a nasty accident and thanking god for saving the kid and next moment you are thrashing the NHC for its build quality come on dude be fair you were not even present there at the time of the mishap. Now if I say that the boy was saved not only because of his helmet but the way the car is designed then you will call me a fanboy. Honda always claimed that they designed their cars keeping in mind pedestrian safety also. Hence there are something called crumple zones hence the bumper and the bonnet got badly damaged as it absorbed most of the impact. Else he would have been flung meters away. Don't just sit and worry about quality of honda cars, that car can always be repaired like new. But for once think how thankful his parents will be to god for saving their son from such a nasty accident.
Old 30th June 2008, 21:47   #9
BHPian

Quote:
This happens with maruti vehicles very often. i remember a minor accident with my maruti alto costed me a lot. that time also i didnt belive hitting a ford fiesta at 20-30 kmph from behind will break half the altos front
Dude- Maruti is no where near Honda, so let's not even try to draw a comparasion here.

Quote:
Well I guess thats what 'crumple zones' are supposed to do right?
Absolutely true. Think if the bumpers and other components had not taken the impact of the crash, where would have the shock passed onto, the cabin and is this something that a driver would want? This is in addition to what Sidd City says. Absolutely true. So, let's not judge the book by it's cover. There's always a lot more than it meets the eye

Incident with me - I banged up my NHC while reversing into a tata 407. Damage - None. Cost of repair - None. Same happened while I was reversing the car and bang! a tree. Damage - none.

OT - On the topic of Honda, NHC prices are set to go up for the new one soon and Jazz, will be priced at around the 5mark. The news is received from Pearl Honda, Gurgaon

Cheers!
M2S

Last edited by married2speed : 30th June 2008 at 21:50.
Old 30th June 2008, 21:51   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidd_city View Post
Dude lets just think the other way round, do you think the kid would have survived if the NHC was built tough? Think again! for One moment you are claimimg it to be a nasty accident and thanking god for saving the kid and next moment you are thrashing the NHC for its build quality come on dude be fair you were not even present there at the time of the mishap. Now if I say that the boy was saved not only because of his helmet but the way the car is designed then you will call me a fanboy. Honda always claimed that they designed their cars keeping in mind pedestrian safety also. Hence there are something called crumple zones hence the bumper and the bonnet got badly damaged as it absorbed most of the impact. Else he would have been flung meters away. Don't just sit and worry about quality of honda cars, that car can always be repaired like new. But for once think how thankful his parents will be to god for saving their son from such a nasty accident.
yes dude, no problem even if one can think in that way. but me being there while the accident occurring doest portray anything. i narrated what i saw. good if the NHC followed the pedestrian safety norms.
his friends who were cycling with him said that the NHC came in a ziz zag way, his the guy who was flung 10 metres in the air before he fell head on on the windshield with helmet, due to which the glass broke.
i still believe from his injuries shown in the picture in the news paper that he was saved due to the helmet. without the helmet his skull would have broken.

ya i too believe the car can be repaired, and thank god for saving him.
Old 30th June 2008, 22:10   #11
BHPian

Incident with me - I banged up my NHC while reversing into a tata 407. Damage - None. Cost of repair - None. Same happened while I was reversing the car and bang! a tree. Damage - none.

same here my car too was banged by a 407 with a loud thud.
Damage- broken plastic grille, not from my car the 407.

Ive got a premier padmini with solid steel bumpers, saved my car many a times.
Old 30th June 2008, 22:12   #12
Senior - BHPian

NHC has lot of pedestrain safety norms. I confirmed this from many people. I saw one live accident in Goa between NHC and bike. I am surprised to see similar situation with honda city.

I took it other way becasue it absorbed all impacts nothing happened to passengers and bike guy.

Also NHC is designed for efficient FE. So sheet used is very thin hence bumpers and bonnets get damaged very fast.

MUL uses thin sheets for better FE but their safety standards cant be trusted where as we can trust Honda.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 30th June 2008, 22:15   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidd_city View Post
Honda always claimed that they designed their cars keeping in mind pedestrian safety also. Hence there are something called crumple zones hence the bumper and the bonnet got badly damaged as it absorbed most of the impact. Else he would have been flung meters away. Don't just sit and worry about quality of honda cars, that car can always be repaired like new. But for once think how thankful his parents will be to god for saving their son from such a nasty accident.
If so much crumpling can occur due to collision with a bicycle, what about car occupant safety in a major crumpling. You can not have it crumple both ways now , can you?

In a major accident then, the crumpled up front of the car should ram backwards into the front seats because its energy absorbing ability is most certainly overwhelmed in a major crash.

And also, if the car absorbed most of the impact of the crash, it is not a 'nasty accident', it is a 'good accident', isn't it?

-Anand
Old 30th June 2008, 22:15   #14
Senior - BHPian

car and cycle, without pictures it very diffucult to say anything. i don't think bycycle can do serious damage to car. by the way designers would have thought of most of the scenarios while designing such a thing. modern cars are more pedestrian oriented.
thank god that the cyclist is saved.
Old 30th June 2008, 22:34   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
yes dude, no problem even if one can think in that way. but me being there while the accident occurring doest portray anything. i narrated what i saw. good if the NHC followed the pedestrian safety norms.
his friends who were cycling with him said that the NHC came in a ziz zag way, his the guy who was flung 10 metres in the air before he fell head on on the windshield with helmet, due to which the glass broke.
i still believe from his injuries shown in the picture in the news paper that he was saved due to the helmet. without the helmet his skull would have broken.

ya i too believe the car can be repaired, and thank god for saving him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arajand View Post
If so much crumpling can occur due to collision with a bicycle, what about car occupant safety in a major crumpling. You can not have it crumple both ways now , can you?

In a major accident then, the crumpled up front of the car should ram backwards into the front seats because its energy absorbing ability is most certainly overwhelmed in a major crash.

And also, if the car absorbed most of the impact of the crash, it is not a 'nasty accident', it is a 'good accident', isn't it?

-Anand
Dude dont forget there was a boy involved other then the cycle so he also must have hit the bonnet. And for your point regarding passenger safty There is a steel frame under the crumple zone to do this job. The crumple zone acts as a cushion whereas the frame protects the occupants. I hope this clears your doubt. And I called it nasty cause he described it to be one where the driver was speeding.Just Imagine if the car was built like a tank.

Last edited by sidd_city : 30th June 2008 at 22:43.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks