Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2008, 10:59   #31
Senior - BHPian

1)
I am happy to know that the cyclist is able to survive and hope that he is back to bicycling.

2)
Some times the results are not what we expect and are often surprising.
Here the damage mentioned on G2HC ( Generation 2 Honda City ) is too much and generally should not have happened. IMO, there must be something else that had hit the car hard. Or else, IMHO, the car could faced an accident earlier and not properly repaired after that.

3)
Crumple zones absorb the impact energy and divert them away from the passengers. This works well in Monocoque ( sorry if the spelling is wrong ) where each structural member supports the members adjacent to it. Here the diversion of energy away from the passenger compartment is possible.

4)
The rear ends of cars are generally not as easy to crumple as the front. When our Baleno rear ended the Accent ( a seperate thread on this exists ), the damage to accent was just limited to bumper. Where as ours was more damaged. Both the Accent and Balneo are 2 out 5 stars at Euro NCAP.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 1st July 2008 at 11:08.
Old 1st July 2008, 11:10   #32
Senior - BHPian

@ SAJO.......

thanks a lot, for the pics. now the people commenting can have a look at the pathetic condition of the honda city and the 14 year child has been saved by gods grace with 25 stiches on neck and head.

we can see that the honda city is more damaged than the cycle.

and people who think that the car has hit something else are wrong. the car was in the centre of a very wide road where there is zero traffic. only tata people can go through the colony roads.
there are no stones no dividers nothing. just the cycle and the car right in the centre of the road.

and the tyre inflated due to puncture caused by the sheet metal that tore off and cut the tyre.

Last edited by amit_mechengg : 1st July 2008 at 11:13.
Old 1st July 2008, 11:11   #33
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Sajo, me too was searching for online article in TOI & DNA.

As per reports & our own Amit's words, nothing other than cycle hit G2HC. G2HC driver was a teenager & was learning driving skills . Three cyclist were practicing in morning around 7:30-8 am.

Pune city also had another incident 2-3 weeks back involving head-on collision between G1HC & municipal bus on NDA(National Defence Academy) road. Driver of G1HC (NDA officer) was killed on the spot.

Is it just reckeless driving or do we need to question safety of these cars?
Old 1st July 2008, 11:13   #34
Senior - BHPian

The bumpers caving in cannot be because of the cycle. The tyres are too pointed to make such a impact. I think the boy might have been hit and was lifted up and crashed into the windscreen.

The cars are tested for safety by independent institutions who know their job. There are actual dummies that are hit simulating a pedestrian and one inside too.

Crumple zones will never protrude inside the cabin if that is a concern among some here. Hondas in general are safer than American cars as far as my knowledge goes.
Old 1st July 2008, 11:23   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Pune city also had another incident 2-3 weeks back involving head-on collision between G1HC & municipal bus on NDA(National Defence Academy) road. Driver of G1HC (NDA officer) was killed on the spot.

Is it just reckeless driving or do we need to question safety of these cars?
yes true. i had seen the same vehicle on the NDA road turn. it was the idiot NDA driver at fault. his car was on the opposite side of the road. the PMT bus front left bumper had rammed in honda city at an angle. the driver was killed on the spot. the A pillars had smashed his head off.
Old 1st July 2008, 11:24   #36
Senior - BHPian

Interesting article. Like all the jazz about the crumple zones, but dont buy it. Was doing a road trip across Europe 2 months ago, and all the cars there are much more solid in build than the Japanese /Korean cars we see here. For example, check out the Mercs or the BMW's. Will anyone say that they compromise on safety? Nah !!!

Fact is that the japs and koreans use much thinner sheet metal, in order to ensure lower costs (Not really such a bad thing), but the build quality is severely impacted, so thats why the cars dent easily, rattle sooner, and are not as safe in a collision.
Which is why, so many people on Team-BHP and elsewhere rave about the tank like build quality of the Palio.

But hey, just glad that the cyclist and the driver were both unharmed. Amen to that !!!
Old 1st July 2008, 11:32   #37
Senior - BHPian

the thickness of the sheet metal can easily be judged by just pressing the bonnet, or even by lifting the bonnet. lift a tata car's or palios bonnet and you will feel the weight. then lift the honda citys / maruti's and u will fell like they are too light.
recently marutis have played a joke by using the thinnest sheet metal on the dezires boot lid.

these cars are designed for more FE due to which the sheet metal used is very thin. even thinner sheetmetals are easy to work for fancy shapes like honda city's.

though the frame is made stronger in minor impacts the owner has to pay a lot to mend them.
Old 1st July 2008, 11:33   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Interesting article. Like all the jazz about the crumple zones, but dont buy it. Was doing a road trip across Europe 2 months ago, and all the cars there are much more solid in build than the Japanese /Korean cars we see here. For example, check out the Mercs or the BMW's. Will anyone say that they compromise on safety? Nah !!!

Fact is that the japs and koreans use much thinner sheet metal, in order to ensure lower costs (Not really such a bad thing), but the build quality is severely impacted, so thats why the cars dent easily, rattle sooner, and are not as safe in a collision.
Which is why, so many people on Team-BHP and elsewhere rave about the tank like build quality of the Palio.

But hey, just glad that the cyclist and the driver were both unharmed. Amen to that !!!
I don't know how you could conclude that build quality (the way you think) makes a car unsafe. As I said before Hondas are safer than most American cars. They do not lag the Europeans in safety.

If safety was as easy as putting heavy gauge metal, Indian car makers would be in the top league of safer cars. I don't know how would anyone react to losing a loved one and still having a less damaged car.
Old 1st July 2008, 11:34   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
@ SAJO.......

thanks a lot, for the pics. now the people commenting can have a look at the pathetic condition of the honda city and the 14 year child has been saved by gods grace with 25 stiches on neck and head.
Additionally during that accident cyclist kid suffered a broken caller bone too. That's something bad for rest of his life.
Old 1st July 2008, 11:40   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayguar View Post
A Kinetic Honda once hit me from behind and I had to spend about 30k for the repairs.
Gosh, was it an OHC or an NHC?
Old 1st July 2008, 11:42   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by omishra View Post
Additionally during that accident cyclist kid suffered a broken caller bone too. That's something bad for rest of his life.

ooh ****. is it so?? cant that be healed? he is a deserving national level cyclist . i seriously should have smashed the sick "bade baap ki bighdi aulad" for driving zig zag at such speeds.
Old 1st July 2008, 11:46   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
1)
4)
The rear ends of cars are generally not as easy to crumple as the front. When our Baleno rear ended the Accent ( a seperate thread on this exists ), the damage to accent was just limited to bumper. Where as ours was more damaged. Both the Accent and Balneo are 2 out 5 stars at Euro NCAP.
Slighlty off-topic,
I always have a serious doubt that these Euro NCAP has nothing to do in India. if I am right, they buy the car in Europe and do these test right? Is the car produced in here is in SAME quality and safety? i dont think so.
Old 1st July 2008, 12:03   #43
Senior - BHPian

Sajo, A PMT(or now PMPML) Bus can crumple any current production car like a wafer, Have seen it personally sitting inside a a Premier Padmini which was touched by a Bus & damage was quite a bit.

So lets leave the Bus angle.

As for the story we dont know if the car hit anything else apart from the Cycle & the boy. Besides the Boy was preparing for racing in the coming CYG. So even if he was at 40 kph & the car too at 40 Kph & the car bumped into the boy(who would be atleast 30-40 Kgs) its an 80 Kph collision which the car's condition shows.
Old 1st July 2008, 12:29   #44
Senior - BHPian

we have 13 NHC in the family and i can definitely say they are not strong and are very expensive to get them repair

i have a accident with a rickshaw and the car was told totally damage

here is the link
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...-rickshaw.html

Last edited by manikjeet : 1st July 2008 at 12:34.
Old 1st July 2008, 13:48   #45
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT SPAM the forum. One-liners that add absolutely no value to the thread are strictly prohibited on Team-BHP.

We advise you to visit our board rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 1st July 2008 at 16:40.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks