Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2008, 00:10   #136
Senior - BHPian

Although I dont see any issue with the extent of exterior sheet metal damages, but looking at the pictures, the distance by which the radiator has moved back is worrisome. Exterior sheet metal should deform easily, but the internals should be progressively be more rigid. Hitting a Bicyclist should not budge the radiator housing by that much.
Old 3rd July 2008, 08:17   #137
BANNED

After being rear-ended by Accent, this NHC went under the truck and hence the damage in the front.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
This was what happened to a NHC when it was tapped from behind:

Last edited by diabloo : 3rd July 2008 at 08:36.
Old 3rd July 2008, 08:22   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
After being rear-ended by Accent, this NHC went under the truck and then the damage in the front.
This clears the cloud. Thanks diabloo.

I was wondering how could that happen when rear ended.
Old 3rd July 2008, 08:34   #139
BANNED

One obvious question from your diagram is, why the car and the cycle are in the middle of a very wide road?

Second question is, what was the speed of the car? Newspaper reports say the car was being driven at break-neck speed. What is that speed? 80? 100? At that speed if the car takes all the impact and cyclist can survive head-on collision, what more do you want? Also note that the cyclist was a champion racer and he could be doing 35~45Kmph.

You have taken one off incident to generalize all NHCs. Even in that incident you don't know what happened. All you saw is a wide road, NHC & cycle, and we have a story to fit all these.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
you seem to say that all NHC are made different.
Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
BTW... speed is more important than weight. AFAIK, K.E. = (1/2)mv^2 so impact by a 130kg bike doing 100kmph is same as a 1000kg object hitting the car at roughly 36-37kmph (if my calculations are right).
Old 3rd July 2008, 08:34   #140
BHPian

well all this talk about NHC crumple zones and what not is bull Sh**. I have seen a brand new NHC overtaking me on a highway, hitting a dog, swaying to the left and getting its bumper dislodged completely, and the worst part was that the car's raditor broke completly, bonnet sheet crumpled and the driver side door bent.

So much for hitting a dog???cmon

OK, i hit a cow in my maruti zen at speed of around 80-90(after braking), and the damage done was broken radiator, front grill and bonnet sheet crumpled. But that was a cow cmon....and a 3 lac car.

For a 9 lac car, wafer thin sheet metal is ridiculous.

NHC owners, i dont mean to bash NHC as its a wonderful car with all its worthy features and engine...but the car has a big weakness..and you must admit it...istead of being defensive. If i look at its counterpart honda fit in the US, it has nice sturdy build and good enuff sheet metal.
Why is this step treatment to India from Honda??
Old 3rd July 2008, 08:43   #141
BANNED

The car hit the dog at high speed while overtaking. Its high speed. The object in this case was a dog. What if that object was a human? He will have better chance of surviving than any other car.

I know and I understand - in this country there is no value for human like. Alas, NHC/Jazz/Fit was designed for countries where they value human life. Maybe unfortunately it got launched in India.
Sales of NHC prove that car buyers in India understand this. But on TBHP?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin_seattle View Post
well all this talk about NHC crumple zones and what not is bull Sh**. I have seen a brand new NHC overtaking me on a highway, hitting a dog, swaying to the left and getting its bumper dislodged completely, and the worst part was that the car's raditor broke completly, bonnet sheet crumpled and the driver side door bent.

Old 3rd July 2008, 09:29   #142
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The car hit the dog at high speed while overtaking. Its high speed. The object in this case was a dog. What if that object was a human? He will have better chance of surviving than any other car.

I know and I understand - in this country there is no value for human like. Alas, NHC/Jazz/Fit was designed for countries where they value human life. Maybe unfortunately it got launched in India.
Euro NCAP ratings give 19 points to the Jazz for pedestrian safety.

This is only average considering Chevrolet Aveo has 19 points, Suzuki SX4 has 21 points, and the much cheaper Swift has 20 points and i10 has 22 points.

Even in the 'countries which value human life', it has done too well!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 3rd July 2008 at 09:33.
Old 3rd July 2008, 09:37   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
  1. In an accident of similar impacts, does NHC suffer more compared to other cars for its price?
  2. If 2 cars have similar damages, does NHC cost more to repair?
Answer to these questions is no.
In the real world, the answer to both the questions will be YES. In the eutopian world that you live in, it could be as per your convenience

Quote:
Team BHP is made up of a lot of people who like to be convinced with reason, not by fantasy.......
Old 3rd July 2008, 09:42   #144
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
bull. the only reason people buy the nhc is because of the mileage.
Old 3rd July 2008, 10:10   #145
BHPian

Hi Guys
I have myself felt that the quality of sheet metal used in Honda is low.
Its very thin in terms of gauge.
Its sad to see a 8 lac car in this condition on being hit by a bicycle.
Claims that a softer body absorbs the impact don't enthuse me as if a bicycle can make such inroads in the bonnet, i dread what a bike like bullet would do.
Similar is the case with Maruti too. But atleast the repair costs are not as exhorbitant as a Honda.
Honda is charging too much a premium for its brand image.
Old 3rd July 2008, 10:23   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

OK, i hit a cow in my maruti zen at speed of around 80-90(after braking), and the damage done was broken radiator, front grill and bonnet sheet crumpled. But that was a cow cmon....and a 3 lac car.

NHC owners, i dont mean to bash NHC as its a wonderful car with all its worthy features and engine...but the car has a big weakness..and you must admit it...istead of being defensive. If i look at its counterpart honda fit in the US, it has nice sturdy build and good enuff sheet metal.
Quote:

Diabloo, please dont go overboard. We're having a discussion on this forum, and its a learning process for all concerned. No one is trying to denigrate the Honda city. We have merely listed the pros and cons, and some of us believe that the sheet metal quality on the Honda City is not upto the mark. As Ashwin Seattle has pointed out, the build quality of the same car in the US is much better, so why compromise in India? And is it too much to expect a customer who has paid a premium for a Honda city to expect that he should get a world class car?

Please do not get frustrated because of your inability to prove your point. We can always agree to disagree. As people have already pointed out, the NHC is selling because of its mileage, and refinement levels, not because of its safety rating, which is lower than cheaper cars such as the SX4. So much for safety then.
Old 3rd July 2008, 11:14   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
While I am not undermining the objectivity of crumple zones or doubting honda's engineering, all I am saying is that collision with a cycle should not have triggered the crumple zones.
You may not call it crumple zones. The fenders, hood etc., are all made to deform easily.

Should we not care about the life of someone else while we sit in our cars ?
Old 3rd July 2008, 12:07   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Is this the case only with the NHC? or is for the OHC & Civic too? I too happenned to hit a dog (saw it too late) while doing ard 120-125kmph in a Civic on the highway between Hubli and Pune. I braked hard but still must have hit it at about 80-90kmph. The dog didn't have a chance. The car - everything was fine except that a front right bumper clip came off (the impact area).

So are people saying that metal sheet in the 2 are of different thickness? or was it the driver who couldn't control the car and probably hit something else on the road? how did the bonet sheet crumple? was the dog so big?
Old 3rd July 2008, 12:17   #149
BHPian

Quote:

Don't be too bias to NHC City. I do have respect to Honda Civic, Accord, CRV but not for this piece of SH$$ (Honda CITY).
Old 3rd July 2008, 12:54   #150
Senior - BHPian

I read the whole thread again and saw the picture provided more carefully.

Quote:

G2HC as its a wonderful car with all its worthy features and engine...but the car has a big weakness..and you must admit it...istead of being defensive. If i look at its counterpart honda fit in the US, it has nice sturdy build and good enuff sheet metal.
1)
Thanks for telling us the about the quality of Honda Jazz available in US of A.

2)
I am still of the opinion that Honda has cheated India.

The front wheel of the bicycle also had absorbed energy. The condition of the bicycle also proves that this was not a very high speed crash with combined speed of 120-130 kmph or higher.

So, IMO, G2HC was supposed to suffer less damage than what it has suffered.

3) O.T.
IMHO : We are moving away from discussion and moving towards arguments.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 3rd July 2008 at 12:55.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks