Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2008, 17:49   #16
BANNED

We should compare this experience with the similar threads coming up below and laugh our head out.

Now, surveys are being reduced to just another marketing gimmick. Sooo sad! Ain't it.
Old 1st July 2008, 20:43   #17
rippergeo

Its strange that in a 20,000+ strong forum, no one else has had experiences with JD power interviews.

@supremebaleno- I used to think JD power was reliable too. till today. from now on its just TBHP.

Old 1st July 2008, 21:30   #18
BHPian

rippergeo,

I believe that's how all surveys are conducted in the country.

I feel (purely speculative though) that though the surveys are evaluated and interpreted in the most professional manner at higher levels of the ladder, the problem lies at the grassroot level itself, i.e., the modus operandi of collecting the required information.

Also, I wonder how much data will be manipulated in the end.
Old 1st July 2008, 22:00   #19
Senior - BHPian

I think the easiest way to collect this data is online and not thru some lousy agent. The collected sample will be much better in that case.
Old 1st July 2008, 23:00   #20
Senior - BHPian

I always thought that JD Power Surveys were quite good. Seems that i have to rethink about it now.
Old 1st July 2008, 23:12   #21
Senior - BHPian

There goes another Survey to the drain!

The one & only survey I consider is: Long term ownership Reports @ Team-bhp!
Old 1st July 2008, 23:18   #22
BHPian

Well this is regarding the other famous survey company AC Nielsen,was at Sion Kholiwada getting rear sensors installed on my aunt's Honda City.A guy walks up to me shows his card and says they are doing a survey on ownership of cars so i told him the car is not mine so i will be of no use answering the questionnaire,so promptly he tells me that is not a problem just answer with what you feel is fine so i asked him then what is the use of this survey so the answer he gives me is this sir i am not at all bothered about the survey i get paid Rs 25/- for every survey completed
Old 2nd July 2008, 06:32   #23
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi1771 View Post
Well this is regarding the other famous survey company AC Nielsen,was at Sion Kholiwada getting rear sensors installed on my aunt's Honda City.A guy walks up to me shows his card and says they are doing a survey on ownership of cars so i told him the car is not mine so i will be of no use answering the questionnaire,so promptly he tells me that is not a problem just answer with what you feel is fine so i asked him then what is the use of this survey so the answer he gives me is this sir i am not at all bothered about the survey i get paid Rs 25/- for every survey completed
C Nielsen and JD Power are the same/related in some way IIRC.

Old 22nd July 2008, 21:57   #24
Senior - BHPian

Any update? I think you did send some complaints.
Old 23rd July 2008, 14:50   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salilpawar1 View Post
rippergeo,

I believe that's how all surveys are conducted in the country.

I feel (purely speculative though) that though the surveys are evaluated and interpreted in the most professional manner at higher levels of the ladder, the problem lies at the grassroot level itself, i.e., the modus operandi of collecting the required information.

Also, I wonder how much data will be manipulated in the end.
I completed my 1st year MBA in 2001 and had to do summer-project at a company. Four of us were chosen for Ogilvey and Mather, a reputed ad company. Two of us were assigned to Trichy district to survey on brand recall of Green Label coffee after a promotion was carried out in that district. The other two were assigned to Tirunelveli. We carried out our survey properly roaming in hot sun in all the towns of Trichy. Finally when we compiled the survey result, brand recall was less than 50% among surveyors. O&M guys refused to take our report and wanted us to give the report as 80%. Since we had not got our stipend, we had to give a tampered report. This report was to be presented to HLL (now HUL) brand manager to show O&M's effectiveness.

The other two guys who were assigned Tirunelveli, took a bus to Tirunelveli, stayed in a lodge spent 3 days watching movies and TV, came back and gave a report which said brand recall was 85%. O&M was very happy, HLL was happy and these guys got their stipend.

I know of many other surveys which happen this way and are much worse also.

Thiyags
Old 23rd July 2008, 17:20   #26
rippergeo

@kutlee- I didnt complain. I dont expect it to change a thing. Anyway, why bother? team Bhp is around to provide us with a reasonably accutae/truthful picture of what the auto industry is upto.

I have also lost the guys contact details

Old 23rd July 2008, 18:38   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
Its strange that in a 20,000+ strong forum, no one else has had experiences with JD power interviews.
I went through this last year and I fully agree with you on the quality of the survey. The agent required me to answer a few questions of his choice and did not run though the entire set of questions!
Old 24th July 2008, 13:09   #28
BHPian

the way he conducted, it reminds me of the market survey i did as a summer project when i was in college :-). I hope this is not another guy doing a summer project!
Old 21st March 2010, 14:14   #29
Senior - BHPian

Just finished with a similar survey by an agent from Nielsen India on the service quality and overall experience for Fiat Palios.

Was pretty ok and covered most parts. Emphasis was on the car as it came out from factory and not on anything that was done later.

Survey asked on what all parts had failed during the ownership, what all were replace, service issues, major faults etc. They didn't concentrate on whether it was rectified during service etc.

Ride quality over different types of roads and engine performance in city/highways/ hills etc was also covered

part list was exhaustive, down to seat adjustment, clock and a/c vents

Rattling too was there and they had listed windows, seats etc down to which seat and which window.

There was quite a bit devoted to the insurance as well.

At the end was also told about discussion groups and 5 star hotels where I could further give opinions and ideas.

Had also asked how many people were being surveyed and he said around 5-6 for Palios

Last edited by bottle : 21st March 2010 at 14:16.
Old 21st March 2010, 14:26   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
Below is an impression that I gained after being interviewed by JD Power for the 2008 vehicle quality survey.

I’m hoping, if we create enough of a ruckus, JD Power will sit up and take notice and stop trying to help the manufacturers hoodwink the public.
if everyone who respond to the survey give thier answers after thinking through the question, understanding it, pondering over the answer and then giving out the answer, then no one will be hoodwinking anyone

Any survey mechanism would be consistant across brands/OEMs.

it is the respondents and quality of of responses which makes the difference. Top of the mind responses may not be the wise and correct in all respects.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 21st March 2010 at 14:27.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks