Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What's your take on Odd & Even traffic?
Yes this will make my life easy 2 2.70%
Somewhat my life may get easy 7 9.46%
No this will make my life hell 65 87.84%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2008, 13:54   #1
BHPian

Should Metro Traffic Be Made Odd & Even?

Hello freinds,

Nowdays, as you all know,traffic has gone beserk in bigger cities. Hence can we recommend odd & even traffic.. the point behind this is all odd no vehicle no should be allowed on odd days to ply on road & even on even days.

This should exclude public trasportation vehicles. By this car & bike pooling will get realistic also loads of oil bill can be saved.

Whats your take on this guys.

Take out some ideas for trasportation vehicles. office buses.

Should time restriction like rules in force between 9am to 9pm or

How to impose restriction like on license or on vehicle no?

Last edited by 007 Bond : 7th July 2008 at 13:59.
Old 7th July 2008, 13:59   #2
Team-BHP Support

My car is odd and my bike is even.

But would I recommend this for India.
NO
Old 7th July 2008, 14:00   #3
BHPian

With all due respect to your idea, one Qn I have. Don't we have all required rules in India? Do the authorities show any interest in implementing them and do we citizens have attitude to abide them?
Just follow/enforce a few existing rules strictly, and the Metro traffic will be hugely improved, INMO.
Old 7th July 2008, 14:01   #4
Team-BHP Support

Nopes. Not done as far as I am concerned? Reason is simple: There is no way for me to travel to Gurgaon using any other mode of transport than my own car. This can be thought of only AFTER the public transport is made more travel friendly.
Old 7th July 2008, 14:07   #5
Senior - BHPian

It is not a good idea IMHO.

Here I would like to consider two situtations:
1) Driving/Riding in city
2) Driving/Riding on highway ( going from one city to another )

1)

In case of car/bike pooling, how to access the various individuals involved ? This can be a big issue. Some times just to pick a person one has to travel other way round and eventually this wont be the best idea.

2)
In case of highways this rule can simply not be implemented. If one has a car with odd number and needs to move to another city with family on the "Even number car day ", what will he/she do ?

Although on paper this is good, practically it will be disaster IMO.
Old 7th July 2008, 14:31   #6
Senior - BHPian

I can see unscrupulous elements swapping plates. Here's another idea, why not marutis alone one day, TATAs one day, Hyundai's one day. This would be easier for a cop to check.
Old 7th July 2008, 14:36   #7
BHPian

Not a good solution

I dont think its a good solution in India. Even car pooling also does not work. I would say encouraging public transport and fuel efficient vehicles with proper infrastructure and traffic management is necessary to cut down tarffic jams.
Old 7th July 2008, 15:00   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Didn't Singapore implement something like this? Odd / Even number schemes are a stop-gap measure, at best. It would only be a matter of time before the bottlenecks pile up again, not to mention the overwhelming support required to enforce this rule.

The need of the hour is super infrastructure and effective public transportation.
Old 7th July 2008, 15:20   #9
BHPian

This will not effect the rich, who can afford 2 cars, they will have one odd and one even, simple, all travel operator's will start have equal number of vehicle's with odd and even numbers, and the system is just too difficult to enforce.
Old 7th July 2008, 16:00   #10
BHPian

An easier option: Ban all truck movement (or better still any goods carrier that can carry > 1 ton except those that carry perishables) within city limits between 8AM and 10PM. Most roads are hogged by slow moving trucks, Tata Ones, APEs, Tractors which travel in the right most lanes at the slowest possible speeds. Just getting rid of them can ease road congestion. I still remember that whenever there is an auto strike in Bangalore, traffic seems to flow much smoother & the air seems to be cleaner. Unfortunately we cant eliminate them :-(.

Better still: Learn to drive carefully and slowly.
We need to educate the drivers on road rules and also to stick to the left and leave the right for faster moving vehicles or only for overtaking. This will be difficult to implement but if they could learn it will be ultimate. Most driver in India know only to operate the machine and not to drive and this has lead to the sad state of the roads here. I used to drive like a mad man but more recently have started driving a lot more sedately. This is caused more by introspection: during peak hours, i take almost 1hr 15 min to reach my office (a dist of 17KM) - this works out to about 14KMPH avg speed. My mad speed bursts does not really reduce the time taken (may be 5 min less) & hence started driving more slowly. Also noticed that i usually catchup with any vehicle that cuts across my path ... (i.e. a madly driven vehicle) within the next couple of signals. So it goes to prove my point.
Old 7th July 2008, 16:41   #11
Senior - BHPian

I think Athens was the first city to implement this crazy scheme. And what the authorities later found was that people simply bought more cars (everyone got an even and odd numbered vehicle) and it was the case of even more vehicles in the city! The scheme was a grand failure there.

What is needed is proper education on road behavior. Right now people drive left right and center. We need to learn lane driving.
Old 7th July 2008, 16:52   #12
BHPian

Instead of implementing such rules, i think the govt should think of improving the mass transport and the city infrastructure. Most people in Bangalore use their own means of transportation due the absence of a good Mass transport system. With the increasing fuel prices, i think people would welcome this.

Until now the govts in Karnataka were hell bent on saving their posts.. Now that the new govt has come, we have to wait n see.. or better we start praying
Old 7th July 2008, 16:55   #13
Senior - BHPian

Horses, mules and yaks will be making a comeback before this tortured scheme will work.
Old 7th July 2008, 16:56   #14
Team-BHP Support

I voted NO, Paris is one city which has implimented this quite effectively IIRC. But in my case (Bangalore) thanks to lack of public transport options which will fulfill my needs, life will definitely become a hell.

I will have to buy another car also lol

Discipline the existing traffic.
Proper infrastructure implementation, half the time planning fundamental itself is wrong.
Build on facility for pedestrians so that they can avoid clogging the roads, intersection and make it safer also for them.
Better public transport, metro's and reliable and good quality buses etc.
Old 7th July 2008, 17:59   #15
tez
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I voted NO, Paris is one city which has implimented this quite effectively IIRC. But in my case (Bangalore) thanks to lack of public transport options which will fulfill my needs, life will definitely become a hell.

I will have to buy another car also lol

Discipline the existing traffic.
Proper infrastructure implementation, half the time planning fundamental itself is wrong.
Build on facility for pedestrians so that they can avoid clogging the roads, intersection and make it safer also for them.
Better public transport, metro's and reliable and good quality buses etc.
paris has excellent underground rail network hence implementation was easier. Also we need to clear the footpaths of the shops so that pedestrians can walk on footpath and not roads.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks