Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2005, 10:50   #1
BHPian

Bharat Stage III issues

Hey BHPians!

Yesterday I picked up the March issue of Autocar India. They had an article on Bharat Stage III (Indian equivalent of Euro III) emission norms which come into force from this April.

The salient points were :
1. Only Bharat Stage III vehicles will be sold in 11 major cities from April 2005. Only Bharat Stage II vehicles will be sold ihe rest of the country from then on. Bharat Stage I vehicles will no longer be sold anywhere.
2. The 11 major cities where Bharat Stage III vehicles will be sold, will offer 91 RON petrol at petrol pumps since this is required for Bharat Stage III vehicles.
3. The 11 major cities where Bharat Stage III vehicles will be sold, will offer low-sulphur diesel (500 parts per million of Sulphur, compared with 2000 ppm for the diesel sold in India today, and 50 ppm which is the norm in Europe) in petrol pumps since this is required for diesel BS III vehicles.

Questions are :
1. Which are these 11 major cities? I know the four metros and Bangalore will be on the list, but which are the others?
2. If a BS III diesel vehicle owner goes on a long trip outside his city, he would no option but to fill regular high-sulphur diesel in his tank. Could this cause damage to his engine? I suppose the petrol BS III owners could use Speed 93 or XtraPremium since these are widely available even in smaller towns.

Cheers,
- John
Old 2nd March 2005, 12:29   #2
Team-BHP Support

As I am planning on a new car in couple of months, I am really concerned about this issue. I don't want a car that can be fueled only in Bangalore. How do I take road trips?

BTW, how did you pickup ACI issue in France?

Last edited by Samurai : 2nd March 2005 at 12:31.
Old 2nd March 2005, 13:18   #3
BHPian

Latest update on this is that the no of cities has been bumped-up to 16 from 11.....

~Sonic
Old 2nd March 2005, 14:08   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai

BTW, how did you pickup ACI issue in France?
Hahaha, I am back in Bangalore now! I need to change my profile location double quick!
Old 2nd March 2005, 20:30   #5
BHPian

The cities are 4-metros, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Pune, Ahmedabad, Chandigarh and probably amongst Nagpur, Lucknow and Bhopal..

For diesel, i guess you can use Turbojet. But its a very valid question..
Old 3rd March 2005, 09:51   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I remember similar issues when unleaded fuel and catalytic converters were made mandatory. Had gone to the holiday home in my Zen and there was no unleaded available for 7 days at the only pump in Nasik supposed to offer it.

Came back via train and sent the driver after a week to pick and fill. Can you imagine leaving a brand new car back on a holiday destination due to no fuel?

GTO
Old 3rd March 2005, 10:50   #7
Senior - BHPian

yeah, this govt does take its own sweet time. like all thenew imported vehicles require 98 octane and not ONE pump in bangalore has it. its like they wanna dump everything into teh market as long as its duties or taxes are paid but have no regard for infrastructure or facilities available to sustain these laws/items.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks