Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2008, 13:49   #1
BHPian

Safe cars for India petition campaign - please sign

Hello motor minds,
There's an ongoing petition campaign to demand the Indian Government and the Automobile manufacturers to improve the safety standards of automobiles built and sold in India.

The petition lists the reduction in mortality and disability due to improved safety standards, and recommends a list of safety features that must be made available on Indian automobiles. Here are some recommendations from the list:

Quote:

Addressed to: The Government of India.

Mandatory regulations for automobile manufacturers:
-----------------------------------------------------
1. Dual front airbags (driver and front passenger)
2. Anti lock brakes (all wheel)
3. High mounted center stop lamps
4. Side marker lamps
5. Crumple zones and energy absorbing zones
6. Mechanisms to prevent the sliding of the bonnet into the passenger compartments in frontal collisions
7. Front and side impact crash testing by manufacturers to measure and improve safety
8. Independent crash testing by a neutral agency that does not receive funds directly or indirectly from the automobile industry, and publication of these results free of cost to the consumers
9. Three-point seat belts for all occupants for cars and light trucks
10. Child restraint anchors on the rear seat
11. Regulate and enforce minimum required safety standards for all the safety devices - seat belts, air bags, lights, crumple zones, child seats, etc.

Desirable/recommended optional features for automobile manufacturers
---------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Side chest and thorax airbags for front seats
2. Side curtain airbags for front and rear seats
3. Active head rests (for head and neck protection in rear impacts) for front seats
4. Height adjustable driver seats
5. Automatic unlocking of doors after an accident
6. Electronic stability/traction control
7. Driver seat belt warning alarm
8. Occupant sensing front-passenger airbag and seat belt alarm

Driver education and enforcement
----------------------------------
1. Educate the drivers and passengers about the proper use and benefits of seat belts, airbags and anti lock braking systems through mass media, and make it part of the driver licensing requirements.
2. Enforce use of seat belts for all occupants of cars and light trucks.
3. Enforce seating children below the age of 13 years in the rear seat, and those below the age of 2 years in a child seat anchored on the back seat.
Please sign the petition by visiting Safe automobiles for India campaign Petition

We need more critical mass before we can forward the petition to the concerned authorities in the Government of India. You can continue any constructive criticism and feedback of the petition here. Thank you!
Old 12th July 2008, 22:50   #2
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for putting this up.

1)
Will this make any difference ?

2)
Will the end user cost of buying and running vehicle be increased ?

3)
I am not able to see any change in the method to obtain license. RTO improvement could be also included.
Old 13th July 2008, 00:51   #3
Senior - BHPian

I'll share something interesting. half of singaporean cab drivers dont wear seatbelts at night (when its inconspicious!) and no bus drivers in malaysia or singapore have seatbelts to begin with.

Interesting I found it
Old 13th July 2008, 01:05   #4
Senior - BHPian

I support safety regulations and ALWAYS buckle up when I drive but if these suggestions become law, the one lakh Nano will have to be sold for 2 lacs!
Old 13th July 2008, 04:31   #5
Senior - BHPian

Good initiative Tron.

The petition should also include educating the buyers about the importance of safety which would eventually make them realise that the 50K to 1Lakh INR they would pay higher would be to keep their dear life safe.

It would be great if all of us could share this word with our contacts to sign the petition. I am sure this will make a difference.

Last edited by anachronix : 13th July 2008 at 04:35. Reason: Included request to share this good initiative
Old 13th July 2008, 05:08   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

If ABS and Airbags become standard, half the battle is covered.
Old 14th July 2008, 15:09   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Thanks for putting this up.

1)
Will this make any difference ?

2)
Will the end user cost of buying and running vehicle be increased ?

3)
I am not able to see any change in the method to obtain license. RTO improvement could be also included.
1. Yes, I think it will make a difference. Even if this doesn't make the government change the rules right away, it will make more people think about safety and want to change the status quo.

2. Yes. But that's unavoidable. Not to be dramatic (or cliched), but how much is a human life worth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Good initiative Tron.

The petition should also include educating the buyers about the importance of safety which would eventually make them realise that the 50K to 1Lakh INR they would pay higher would be to keep their dear life safe.

It would be great if all of us could share this word with our contacts to sign the petition. I am sure this will make a difference.
That's a great idea - thanks! It would be great to tell our email/real life contacts about this. I'm gonna add it to my email signature.
Old 14th July 2008, 16:29   #8
BHPian

Good step in auto safety.
Any idea how the organizers are going to present this to the government?
Old 15th July 2008, 14:37   #9
BHPian

I was told that they will print the petition and signatures, and send it to several ministries in India, and send copies to automobile manufacturers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks