Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2008, 17:20   #1
BHPian

New 1 liter diesel engine for WagonR and A-star in 2010 ?

got infomation from insider that Maruti are planing to
launch the new 1 liter diesel engine for wagonR and
A-star in 2010

Has anyone have more detail on this?

tnk.
Old 13th July 2008, 17:46   #2
Senior - BHPian

Who is developing the engine ? Suzuki itself ?
Or is it Fiat that is developing the engine and Suzuki under license will produce them ?

Last edited by aaggoswami : 13th July 2008 at 17:49.
Old 13th July 2008, 18:17   #3
Senior - BHPian

Did you say "the" diesel engine meaning we already know of this engine existing?....and now its going to be put into a Wagon R.
Old 13th July 2008, 18:20   #4
BHPian

Wasn't the WagonR due for replacement?
Old 13th July 2008, 18:28   #5
BANNED

Fiat will develop the engine & transfer to suzuki in a similar way as 1.3mjd. It would go into smaller suzukis , likw A-STAR or altos replacement. The PRESENT GEN. Wagon -R should ideally be phased out by then & new car put in its place. But then too wagon r seems a wee bit big for a 1L ENGINE.
Old 13th July 2008, 18:32   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post

Did you say "the" diesel engine meaning we already know of this engine existing?....and now its going to be put into a Wagon R.
Suzuki is searching for a small diesel i.e. a diesel engine smaller than the Swift's 1248cc engine mainly to fight off competetion from Hyundai's 1.1. common rail diesel.
They went to Fiat and Fiat agreed to develop the engine, but Fiat asked for high amount for this. Suzuki said the asking cost is too high, but mostly Suzuki did go in for this deal ( not sure, just grapevine ), and mostly it will be a one litre, three cylinder engine.

This mostly ( and hopefully ) means that the small diesel engine will be developed by Fiat.
Old 13th July 2008, 18:43   #7
Senior - BHPian

I think this is the same engine that fiat was designing and planning to sell it to maruti!
Old 13th July 2008, 20:17   #8
Senior - BHPian

Wasn't that supposed to be 1L petrol K-series engines?

By the way, just got a thought. Could it be a 3-cylinder version of 1.3 MJD? It should be around 56bhp and 936cc. Because Maruti has done this before in case of WagonR engine.
Old 13th July 2008, 20:22   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
Wasn't that supposed to be 1L petrol K-series engines?
Surely its 1.0 ltr diesel.
The petrol K-series are expected in A-star and Splash before the 1.0 ltr. diesel makes entry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
By the way, just got a thought. Could it be a 3-cylinder version of 1.3 MJD? It should be around 56bhp and 936cc. Because Maruti has done this before in case of WagonR engine.
This engine is most probably going to be developed by Fiat. I dont think that they will be going the Mauti way here by chopping off one cylinder. The engine will hopefully be developed from scratch.

I seriously hope that this will be part of Multiair engines.
Old 13th July 2008, 20:41   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
This engine is most probably going to be developed by Fiat.
But Maruti backed out of the deal isn't it?
Old 13th July 2008, 20:46   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Suzuki is searching for a small diesel i.e. a diesel engine smaller than the Swift's 1248cc engine mainly to fight off competetion from Hyundai's 1.1. common rail diesel.
They went to Fiat and Fiat agreed to develop the engine, but Fiat asked for high amount for this. Suzuki said the asking cost is too high.
What is the source of your info? You sound like you work for Maruti almost.

Suzuki connection to Fiat was thru GM and that link is now broken.
Old 13th July 2008, 21:35   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

What is the source of your info?

Suzuki connection to Fiat was thru GM and that link is now broken.
1)
My source is a) AutoCar India, July 2008 Issue, page number 27.
b) Internet, dont exactly remember the site, but it was regarding
sub 1.3 ltr. diesel for Splash.

Here it is clearly mentioned that the price Fiat asks for could be an issue if past experience is any thing to go by.

Shinzo Nakanishi, Maruti MD, said " If someone can give us an engine that could be mounted in a small car and comes with acceptable performance at the right price, we are definitely interested ".

" When we first started discussiosn with Fiat around six years ago for the current 1.3, they also offered to develop for us a one litre, three cylinder diesel. They showed us a simple drawing to gauge our interest. I asked what the cost was it was 90-95 percent of the four cylinder. This was too much and I said no to the project because even if we could have pacaged that engine into the Alto, the cost would have made the car too expensive. I think the investment in the whole project was working out to US $ 400 million. But if we can get a two cylinder from them at a reasonable price we will be interested" explained Nakanishi.

In the same article it is mentioned that Fiat is developing a 800cc two cylinder engine that will develop around 40-45 bhp.

However I feel that this is three cylinder as the thread starter has said about 1.0 ltr. engine and there is mentioned of 1.0 ltr three cylinder and 800cc two cylinder. Also mostly to power the A-star and specially the Wagon R, 1.0 ltr will be required. 800cc might end up in 800/Alto.

P.S. What I have typed is just an extract of the article.
@ mods: if you allow me I can try and scan the entire page and put it up here. ( i.e. "this should not give rise to legal issues ).

2)
O.T.
Quote:
You sound like you work for Maruti almost.
I am a student of MSU and my course is BCA.

EDIT:
3)
Quote:
But Maruti backed out of the deal isn't it?
@Blue_pulsar:
That was something six years ago. Now for the Tata-Fiat for the Nano and Suzuki for A-star might have made Fiat-Suzuki to strike a deal to manufacture that diesel in Maruti's factory.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 13th July 2008 at 21:37.
Old 14th July 2008, 09:49   #13
Senior - BHPian

I dont think i would agree with this info completely ! Wagon R is due for a replacement. So i doubt it ll be on our roads till 2010 ! Splash has already got the 1.3MJD. So its mostly the A-star & Estilo replacement that would get this engine. But i dont think there is concrete info on this.
Old 14th July 2008, 10:23   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post

I dont think i would agree with this info completely ! Wagon R is due for a replacement. So i doubt it ll be on our roads till 2010 !
IMO:
Wagon R has a strong following in India. Add to this the fact that Wagon R is doing good in the market since long.
Now look as Estilo. Estilo is not doing well and after the initial sales its out of top ten selling list. Wagon R will continue in the market and most probably, Estlio will be discontinued.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post

So its mostly the A-star & Estilo replacement that would get this engine. But i dont think there is concrete info on this.

Splash will not exactly replace Estilo and Splash will be positioned against i10. I dont think that there will be replacement for Estilo as the brand is now quite weak.
Old 14th July 2008, 10:36   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
IMO:

Splash will not exactly replace Estilo and Splash will be positioned against i10. I dont think that there will be replacement for Estilo as the brand is now quite weak.
Please read what i said again buddy. Your totally mistaken. I didnt say that Splash is gonna replaced Estilo. I said that this diesel will be plonked in the A-star & the car which will replace Estilo.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks