Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2005, 00:21   #16
BHPian

Viano

Guys,

The Viano on display at Sanghi is the homologation Vehicle and is a Viano 2.2 Come next week and the first new fully loaded Viano 350 will be on display at AutoHangar. The car is currently at the docks awaiting clearance. It is mainly being targetted at the Hotel and Tourism Industry who can buy it under the EPCG scheme. Ajmat, the E-Class you saw was the 200 Kompressor 'Classic' which is available in small numbers currently. It is 4 lakhs cheaper than the regular ELEGANCE trim 200K. There is no difference in the suspension setup. The main difference being that the CLASSIC has a thermatic a/c whereas the ELEGANCE has a Thermotronic, the classic has 5 spoke wheels while the elegance now has 5 twin spokes as compared to the earlier 13 spoke, more so the upholstery is fabric, the steering wheel does not have a wood/leather combo, and the grille is a 3 slat.
The Viano costs 60 lacs plus because its a 3.5 and fully loaded.
Once the 2.2 has been homologated, it will be available at a little over the cost of an E-Class.
Good point, Ported Head, about the Viano costing as much as a Volvo B7R, but then again at 5 crore plus, most people would rather buy a helicopter rather then a Maybach!...lol
Old 4th March 2005, 01:08   #17
Senior - BHPian

How much did the MB100 and MB140 cost when brand new ?
are they still available ?
Old 4th March 2005, 01:12   #18
BHPian

Viano

The MB100 and 140 are no longer produced. They cost in the range of 14-16 laks. But they were basically Ssanyong vans with Mercedes badging. The Viano is like what the Previa is to Toyota or what the Windstar is to Ford.
Old 4th March 2005, 06:20   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLS_55_AMG

, the E-Class you saw was the 200 Kompressor 'Classic' which is available in small numbers currently. It is 4 lakhs cheaper than the regular ELEGANCE trim 200K. There is no difference in the suspension setup. The main difference being that the CLASSIC has a thermatic a/c whereas the ELEGANCE has a Thermotronic, the classic has 5 spoke wheels while the elegance now has 5 twin spokes as compared to the earlier 13 spoke, more so the upholstery is fabric, the steering wheel does not have a wood/leather combo, and the grille is a 3 slat.
Is this car still avaible... I wouldnt mind a classic version if u save 4 lakhs! Just to hv no leather and different alloys its worth it. U can probably put all that in latter for cheaper. Is it avaible to regular buyers or just taxi operators?
Old 4th March 2005, 08:26   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil
Is this car still avaible... I wouldnt mind a classic version if u save 4 lakhs! Just to hv no leather and different alloys its worth it. U can probably put all that in latter for cheaper. Is it avaible to regular buyers or just taxi operators?
I felt it looked better than an Elegance !
Old 4th March 2005, 17:51   #21
Senior - BHPian

I Remember seeing one of these and the old gen V-Class. They are so damm huge.
anyway, 60 lakhs for an MPV...naaa way too much.
Old 5th March 2005, 03:52   #22
Senior - BHPian

Just too much.But then,its going to be used mainly by the Hospitality industry.So under the EPCG scheme its worth the price.
Wont be surprised if big corporate houses too pick up one for thier employees.

X
Old 5th March 2005, 08:17   #23
BHPian

Yes Sahil, the classic is available to all. Its a very good option because for the price of an elegance, you can have ////AMG bodystyling!
Old 20th September 2018, 15:39   #24
BHPian

Re: Mercedes Viano launched at 60 lakhs +

Re-igniting the discussion after 13 long years ..

With improving Road infrastructure & the increase in amount of travel by Indian & foreigners,
Do such 9~11 seater vans make sense in India for private & fleet ?
E.g: Mercedes Viano, Toyota Alphard, Kia Carnival etc ..

Shouldn't such vehicles be considered by OEM for Indian market ?
FIAT3031 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2018, 18:37   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIAT3031 View Post

With improving Road infrastructure & the increase in amount of travel by Indian & foreigners,
Where is the improving road infra?

I yet don't see the compelling reason for 9 to 11 seater mini vans to come to India. Several others like Nissan have tried it. Anything bigger than an Innova is not gaining acceptability in our market due to the traffic conditions and growing nuclear family cultures. Gone are the days when a joint family had one maruti 800 and squeezed in people like a minivan.

While we are on the topic, I love the new Viano and often use it for airport runs when traveling in EU and UK.
Old 20th September 2018, 19:05   #26
BHPian

Quote:
To add to Sahil's point, Merc would probably bring it via the CBU route and the prices would be unjustifiable for the product. Although not the same, they tried to make the R-Class work and that was an astronomical failure in our market.
Old 20th September 2018, 19:26   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I think it will make sense, if offered.

Innova can accommodate 7 people but with 7 onboard, there is very little luggage space left. A van shall be able to provide enough luggage space for 7 people.

I also look forward to a version of van configured for 4 or 5 people with 2 spacious sofasets, a big TV and maybe a mattress for those who want to sit down resting against a cushy pillow and play a game of cards. Instead of sitting in one position all along the journey, one will be able to stretch and relax. In past, we have taken out few seats in a minibus and put a mattress there!

Such vans also can be used as make-up vans for the artists.
Old 20th September 2018, 22:10   #28
BHPian

Wonder, if these 10/11 seaters can be registered for private use. The Force Traveller (Tempo Traveller) was once (and still is) based on the Mercedes Benz TN and almost an exact copy. Buy a Traveller 3050, get it remapped, get better tyres and give it to someone to transform it, like DC. Won't cost you more than 20 lakhs. Who needs a Viano? It still comes with a Mercedes Benz engine.
Old 21st September 2018, 01:41   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORPION View Post
Wonder, if these 10/11 seaters can be registered for private use. The Force Traveller (Tempo Traveller) was once (and still is) based on the Mercedes Benz TN and almost an exact copy. Buy a Traveller 3050, get it remapped, get better tyres and give it to someone to transform it, like DC. Won't cost you more than 20 lakhs. Who needs a Viano? It still comes with a Mercedes Benz engine.
Let’s be realistic, highly unlikely many would take on this multi fold ordeal. Most would go plonk their 20 lakhs in a one stop shop- the toyota dealer to buy an innova
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2018, 02:10   #30
VSD
BHPian

Quote:

E.g: Mercedes Viano, Toyota Alphard, Kia Carnival etc ..

Wow, what timing for me to come across this post. Only yesterday, I was having a chat with one of the Mercedes Personnel regarding the upcoming cars and he was sharing the details of the new V-class they've brought down to test them for our market. Most probably in the Diesel CKD 250d/300d configuration with two models in business and family spec. One will have sofa seating with 4 seats facing each other and the other will have options of bench or individual captain seats to seat 8-9 pax. They plan to place it just about same price as the GLE diesel. i.e. 72-75L ex showroom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Where is the improving road infra?

While we are on the topic, I love the new Viano and often use it for airport runs when traveling in EU and UK.

This is exactly why we need this car here. The infrastructure isn't getting any better for being able to use comfy sedans on long routes. Though still highways are much better than before and many people would like nice comfortable cars for long distance journeys that are also much safe(r) than the Japanese options.

I for one would immediately get this one if they do price it around 60-70L. I'm on my 4th Innova in 10 years and all have done about 2L kms each before being sold. The one I have currently has 1.6L kms on the odo as we speak and is just completing it's 3rd year. There just isn't an option out there to compete with the Innova.
VSD is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed