Team-BHP - New four-wheels dearer in Bangalore
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   New four-wheels dearer in Bangalore (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/42618-new-four-wheels-dearer-bangalore.html)

Vehicles with an invoice price of less than Rs 5 lakh would be taxed at 12 per cent as against the previous 10 per cent. The LTT on vehicles priced between Rs 5 lakh and Rs 10 lakh will increase to 13 per cent. High-end vehicles costing more than Rs 10 lakh will pay 16 per cent LTT

Deccan Herald - Four-wheelers dearer

OTH, VAT on used vehicles has been lowered to 4% from 12.5%

As it is, Bangalore/Karnataka has the highest fuel prices and the highest tax rates on vehicles. Now increasing the rates even further will make things only worse.

Maybe, adjusted for prices, Bangalore could well be among the costliest places to own a vehicle (outside of japan)

The actual increase will be more than 2% since there was some kind of cess on the lifetime tax as well :-( The CM's comments are totally irresponsible - they cannot shirk the responsibility of not planning and providing infrastructure, and then blame explosion of private vehicles. And there has to be some basis (relative to other states) for inflicting ever increasing pain on karnataka citizens. On top they have left the 2 wheeler tax as is, and this IMHO, is responsible for the maximum chaos on BLR roads including most of the accidents (including minor ones).
And the CM must be able to prove where the 100 crore extra revenue is being spent because most of it never makes it for any roads or infrastructure and greases politicians palms (see my other post on Shiradi ghats completely broken between the concrete parts of the roads)

Yes, the net effect will be more beacuse of the Cess. I also agree with lancer on the chaos part.

^ and he fails to realize that 2 wheeler users are most likely to use public transport rather than the ones who use 4 wheelers.

BTW, when will this increase be effective?

Quote:

Originally Posted by androdev (Post 907585)
Vehicles with an invoice price of less than Rs 5 lakh would be taxed at 12 per cent as against the previous 10 per cent. The LTT on vehicles priced between Rs 5 lakh and Rs 10 lakh will increase to 13 per cent. High-end vehicles costing more than Rs 10 lakh will pay 16 per cent LTT

With existing rates, I saw the price quote of Spark with a colleague, and the LTT is coming to 10.99 %
If some one has details of this extra 0.99% ? they can throw some light?

That is the Cess on the LTT, sriturl.

As someone said, where's the Road first? Show us the road so that we can pay the road tax. :-)

Below 5 lakhs - 12%
5 lakhs - 10 lakhs -13%
above 10 lakhs - 16%

there is 10% cess on LTT. so 12% LTT will be 13.2%
13% = 14.3 %
16 = 17.6%

for chaos on the roads all are responsible not two wheelers alone. frankly speaking four wheelers cause more jams as and when they jump lanes ( which many do including buses and lorries). if a two wheeler jumps lanes , the vehicle can be lifted by one or two persons and jam can be cleared easily. but what about cars and buses?

in my 10 years experience on bangalore roads the root cause of jams in more than 90% cases, is cars/taxi's and the ego of the drivers to budge even when they are in wrong lane. one minute argument will cause huge pile up vehicles on either side

i have never come across a traffic jam caused by two wheelers so far.

No offense to any one. this is my observation.

I feel for the Bangalore dudes! You guys are already paying the most for cars & fuel. This is yet another additional cost.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkg (Post 908194)
there is 10% cess on LTT. so 12% LTT will be 13.2%
13% = 14.3 %
16 = 17.6%

for chaos on the roads all are responsible not two wheelers alone. frankly speaking four wheelers cause more jams as and when they jump lanes ( which many do including buses and lorries). if a two wheeler jumps lanes , the vehicle can be lifted by one or two persons and jam can be cleared easily. but what about cars and buses?
in my 10 years experience on bangalore roads the root cause of jams in more than 90% cases, is cars/taxi's and the ego of the drivers to budge even when they are in wrong lane. one minute argument will cause huge pile up vehicles on either side

i have never come across a traffic jam caused by two wheelers so far.

Well all are responsible. But 2 wheelers have this habit of completely ignoring any kind of proper driving behavior including encroaching lanes on the other side (they feel their vehicle's width is negligible) and driving on wrong side is a given. So, a large portion of accidents on roads are caused due to 2 wheelers - including all the near misses that happen everyday while driving. So, the issue is of road safety !
BTW, all the 4 wheelers which go the wrong way deserve to be taken to task - no 2 ways about it.

Regards,

Maybe Bangalore is heading the Singapore way. Heavy taxes for owning cars to encourage people to use public transport. Public transport in Bangalore is also not very bad, IMO.

Quote:

Originally Posted by esteem_lover (Post 908231)
Maybe Bangalore is heading the Singapore way. Heavy taxes for owning cars to encourage people to use public transport. Public transport in Bangalore is also not very bad, IMO.

Not very bad is probably the right term.
It is far from being half good. Else, why has the #2 wheelers multiplied more times than the #cars over say 5 years period (even when the base of #cars was very small) - some comparison in today's TOI. Also, what explains the large population of 3 wheelers ?

This is simply ridiculous. He is taking from 4 wheelers and giving to others.:Frustrati. He is not considering any taxes on autos which are a menace on the roads. Infact the Govt is incrasing no. of autos by another 7000 nos to add to the woos of already chocked traffic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by esteem_lover (Post 908231)
Public transport in Bangalore is also not very bad, IMO.

I Beg to differ here..

Quote:

Originally Posted by snaronikar (Post 908245)
Infact the Govt is incrasing no. of autos by another 7000 nos to add to the woos of already chocked traffic.

Exactly, why does the govt want to increase the no of auto's in the city. All they need to make sure is to have the auto drivers say YES when people approach them for a ride instead of there usual NO !!

Bangalore traffic has grown by leaps and bounds in the last 5 years, be it 2 or 4 wheelers. Even with the high LTT it is still going to be the same, unless Petrol touches Rs.100/- a litre !!!!

Public transport is available only between major destinations or big areas. Even then the whole of Bangalore is not so well connected. For example there is no Bus from HAL Airport to Koramangala/Electronic City via IRR. I personally know so many people who travel between these two areas.

I work in EGL and it is a huge IT campus. However bus services to this area is almost Nil.

The public transport system has not kept up with the growth of Bangalore. Lets see when the Metro hits us.