Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2009, 19:05   #136
BHPian

The Innova comes with a 2.5Litre D4-D engine and expect the Fortuner to come with a 3.0Litre D4-D, The Underpinnings will most probably undergo some changes before it's launched here but expect the price to be 18+ Lakhs as that's the premium you got to pay to buy a Toyota, and nobody complains about that.
Old 12th March 2009, 20:08   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmuser View Post
I just had a ride with one of my friend who drives a civic. He casually told Fortuner has some problem to do with fuel quality. Then I did a google and found out that there are some other complains as well about Fortuner's ride quality and OEM tyres. Ride quality is mostly attributed to its original pinnings from hilux which rides on a leaf spring setup. Eventhough Fort. rides on a coil spring setup, still many complaints about its bouncy ride.
The bouncy ride can be rectified only after changing the suspension/spring. So Toyota is not invincible? I really doubted ride with its tall stance!

Another issue with Fort is that the handling. Toyota SA seems to have accepted the problem in the OEM tyres which is Continental and the new models are getting their tyres changed.

Google "fortuner+problem"
Okay, we get your point that Fortuner is a crap SUV.
Old 12th March 2009, 21:18   #138
Senior - BHPian

The big question is when are these cars expected to be launched?.Knowing toyota things are not expected to be fast.
Also any plans for Lexus to be launched in India??
Old 13th March 2009, 09:32   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Okay, we get your point that Fortuner is a crap SUV.
Scorpio has ride quality issue; Safari has reliability issue; Innova's spares are costly; these does not mean they are all crap. This is a place to discuss pros/cons of cars. I just post my opinion...and this place is for that purpose right?

Throw in your points to counter me rather than typing one liners! Be sensible and kind to others!

Last edited by Rehaan : 13th March 2009 at 13:18. Reason: Please use the REPORT POST button if you have a message to convey to the mods in the future. Thanks.
Old 13th March 2009, 11:51   #140
Senior - BHPian

So, we badly in need for an SUV with a good look like Fortuner or Scorpio or Safari, Reliability as Innova, Comfort as Safari, priced as Scorpio, which is is missing in India, Right?
It would be a Dream SUV for ever one, and Badly we need one like that. We discussed this before, almost all the care makers in India are failed in this segment.
Fortunately we have at least Scorpio and Safari, otherwise we would be still riding MM540 and Trax.
Old 13th March 2009, 14:21   #141
BHPian

True Benny,

Actually, I am also eagerly waiting for a SUV like Fortuner! I like its styling, butch looks. And It is from Toyota. With some meaningful pricing by fair amount of localisation, if we can get it around 15-16 lakhs, its a deal. But reviews are putting me off, esp about its bouncy ride and its performance on gravels are a great worry. Also FE which is less than 8kmpl for oil! Hopefully Toyota does something to improve it and make it an affordable SUV in India and not launch it as is a lifestyle SUV.
Old 13th March 2009, 22:42   #142
oss
BHPian

Quote:
True Benny,

Actually, I am also eagerly waiting for a SUV like Fortuner! I like its styling, butch looks. And It is from Toyota. With some meaningful pricing by fair amount of localisation, if we can get it around 15-16 lakhs, its a deal. But reviews are putting me off, esp about its bouncy ride and its performance on gravels are a great worry. Also FE which is less than 8kmpl for oil! Hopefully Toyota does something to improve it and make it an affordable SUV in India and not launch it as is a lifestyle SUV.
Dude, Isn't SUV by definition, a lifestyle vehicle
Old 13th March 2009, 22:58   #143
Senior - BHPian

new innova selling strongly, toyota hikes prices by upto 50,000 unlike honda which announced a hefty price hike.

links:

New Toyota Innova registers brisk sales- Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times

Toyota hikes car prices up to Rs 50,000- Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times
Old 14th March 2009, 10:32   #144
Senior - BHPian

I thought the fortuner was the same as the innova with a different body and engine. Except a few "exceptional" people i have not heard a anybody complain about the innova's ride quality and seat comfort (bucket seats in middle row). I am 6'4" and i find the third row also pretty decent. The innovas driving dynamics are also spot on. Almost feels like driving a sedan.
the fortuner uses the same chasis as the innova so it should be atleast as good as an innova.
I would prefer an innova over an endeavour(even though it costs half the price), so the fortuner will be my best bet at that price range.

@sgmuser: Which other suv's were they comparing the fortuner to in the reviews? Please dont get carried away by so called reviews. Compare the fortuner to what you can buy in india for about the same amount of money. I havent driven the fortuner but i can confidently say the ride cannot be as bad as an endy.

Last edited by cooldude1988765 : 14th March 2009 at 10:37.
Old 14th March 2009, 13:46   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post

I think its nearly the same as HONDA, honda city saw price rise of 30-35k and Civic saw price rise of 50-63k. The article above quotes that price rise is for altis and innova, so when seeing the vehicle prices and what price rise applies to which car, I think its more or the less same for toyota and honda both.
Old 14th March 2009, 17:31   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude1988765 View Post
@sgmuser: Which other suv's were they comparing the fortuner to in the reviews? Please dont get carried away by so called reviews. Compare the fortuner to what you can buy in india for about the same amount of money. I havent driven the fortuner but i can confidently say the ride cannot be as bad as an endy.
Cooldude, this is the url i got from my friend who is in Bangkok.

Cape Times: Toyota admits Fortuner could have handling problems and will fit new tyres in September

Toyota Fortuner rollover problem: will it kill? | Kaptein Caprivi blogs...

and also here :

Problems With Toyota Fortuner? - Thailand Forum

i lost another thread from Philippines that had lots of complain about bouncy rides.

The tyre problem can be rectified it seems. But FE and unsettling rides are still there. Surprising, the 2009 Fortuner does not look like had many major overhaul in the engine/suspension department, according to the sales guy. I just see simple grill pattern changed to honeycomb.
Old 14th March 2009, 18:07   #147
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

smguser:

I am sure if you google every vehicle + problems you are likely to find a few people who whine about it. Why don't you search X-Trail + problems and see if you go the best CUV in the world?

Enough is enough – I am seriously disapointed with X-Trail or Nissan in general. - Nissan Forums: Nissan Forum

X-Trail Exhaust Manifold & Head Gasket Problems - Nissanhelp.com

Nissan X-trail condensation problem - AutosTalk Forums

Give it some rest man. Don't judge a vehicle due to some forums. Every single model gets trashed in online forums. You don't even own one and for what ever reasons you decide on an X-Trail which is a fine vehicle as far as I am concerned but I think you are being silly by speaking so strong against Fortuner based on some web reasearch...

Anybody interested in a CUV like yourself should not even be looking at body on frame SUVs like Fortuner/Endy/Pajero etc. There is choices in the CUV market in India like CRV/X-Trail/Captiva etc. The Fortuner was developed only for Asian markets wheras the X-Trail was developed for the world market, hence it is bound to be better in some aspects. Asian specific models are designed with cost in mind, otherwise they would not need to develop an asian specific model and just the sell the Prado here instead. The interior dimensions and engine about the same between these two.

You can whine all you want about the Fortuner but if you need a body on Frame SUV in the 20 lakhs range the only options are Endy/Pajero/Fortuner and I think Forturner will win hands down when you look at the shortcomings of it's other two main competetors. It seems to be that comfort is your highest priority. Why don't you go for the CRV, GV or Captiva? These vehicles are going to handle much better on road and in the Mall parking lot than the Fortuner.

Honesty mate, you are beginning to sound like a broken record..

Last edited by 4x4addict : 14th March 2009 at 18:16.
Old 15th March 2009, 07:22   #148
BHPian

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Personal attacks are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. All members are part of the Team-BHP family and any discriminating or derogatory comment is uncalled for. Please watch your language when posting and put your points across in a decent manner.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further, and to prevent your account from being permanently disabled.

Last edited by Rehaan : 16th March 2009 at 02:38. Reason: Please see note in post.
sgmuser is offline   Received Infraction
Old 15th March 2009, 10:28   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The tyre problem can be rectified it seems. But FE and unsettling rides are still there.
In india the only true competition to the fortuner is going to be the endy and the pajero. Both of which are extremely dated (At least the fortuner was first made in 2005)

Forget about philipines, malaysia,thailand etc. Most people in India dont find the innova's ride unsettling, so I fail to understand how the fortuner can be bouncy when they are essentially the same underneath.

There is no car in the world that is perfect. Each has their own short comings. For an average indian customer the fortuner will be a good deal. First of all it is a toyota so it is going to outlast you. It will in "all probability" have a better ride than the endy, better backseats (third row) than both the pajero and endy.

AND PLEASE WATCH YOUR LANGUAGE.
I agree with 4x4 addict you seem to have something against the fortuner.
A few bhpians who drove the fortuner did not complain about a bouncy ride. I remember reading a review about the petrol fortuner not being powerful enough but that literally holds 0 value in the indian context.
Old 15th March 2009, 15:52   #150
Senior - BHPian

The Qualis was a car which looked like crap.Dint it sell like hot cakes.
No Car is 100% perfect for everybody, Some may like it. Some wont.
take me for example. I like wood finishes in my car but many dont like it.
suspention of a car can suit one person but disliked by another.
Fortuner being a bad vehicle if it was the case the car wouldnt sell like hot cakes in thailand etc etc.
The car will come here and it will be a Hit.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks