Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2008, 15:54   #31
BHPian

Hey guys - just checked with Lakozy Toyota - Mumbai about the launch date of the Toyota Corolla - its supposed to be on the 1st Sep 2008. The sales executive didnt know much about the specs and price but was very committal on the date. I am looking forward to this one.
Old 23rd July 2008, 16:24   #32
Senior - BHPian

The Corolla on Toyota Maylasia site do look good and promising. IMO its a better looker then Civic. At the same time a better site too.

Have a look.

Toyota have 12 Models there. 3 Sedans, FOUR Super cool SUV's, hatches, Vans everything.. Man! why not in India?
Old 23rd July 2008, 18:27   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
The Corolla on Toyota Maylasia site do look good and promising. IMO its a better looker then Civic. At the same time a better site too.

Have a look.

Toyota have 12 Models there. 3 Sedans, FOUR Super cool SUV's, hatches, Vans everything.. Man! why not in India?
I still think the new Corolla looks like a Camry-baby!

Malaysia has better roads and better fuel quality ? :|
Old 25th July 2008, 18:55   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Big Yaaaawwwwnnnnnnn.

I will believe it when I actually see an Indian sold Fortuner on our roads. This Bakasura is in no hurry. Seem to be happy with title of the "Maker of the Best Tourist Taxi"
Old 25th July 2008, 22:33   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsNsqueals View Post
Guys. Please help me with my query. Does it make sense to look at Corolla H2 at this point in time? The dealer in Thane is offering me 1.5 lacs off plus corporate discount. I guess the final price would be around 10-10.5L. I was looking for diesel, and hence Innova, but was tempted towards Corolla with such discounts. I am ambivalent about SUV/MUV vs Sedan. I am a CityZX owner but wanted to move to diesel, but am being tempted towards Corolla, if and only if it works out in the longer run (3-4 yrs). Please give your expert opinions about Corolla H2 with all the goodies vs Innova G4 7 seater on company lease.
I wouldnt advice you to opt for the Corolla now when New one is a month away. Why you aint looking at Civic E when you can shell 10-11l ..That is if you can comprise for the less features in the E. Go for the New Corolla instead.

Quote:
The Corolla on Toyota Maylasia site do look good and promising. IMO its a better looker then Civic.
The New Corolla does look good but i expected a better or rather agressive rear. I wouldnt think its better looker than Civic. What has got the Corolla going in its favour is its excellent Brand name !!
Old 28th July 2008, 15:23   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
I still think the new Corolla looks like a Camry-baby!

Malaysia has better roads and better fuel quality ? :|

You are right, alleast the outer look has been inheriated much from Camry. But I like Camry's look. Its Fancy and Royal.

Yes, Malaysia has got very good roads, better fuel Quality and Fuel is lot cheaper there. Recently they stopped allowing people from Singapore to load fuel from there to drive back home. They are going to set up separate fuel stations for Vechicles with Foreign reg. number (mainly for the people from Singapore. :-)
Old 29th July 2008, 13:57   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
You are right, alleast the outer look has been inheriated much from Camry. But I like Camry's look. Its Fancy and Royal.
Yes it does look like a mini Camry. Just check out this link from AutoCar India.

:: AUTOCAR INDIA - CAR AND BIKE MAGAZINE ::
Old 15th August 2008, 12:58   #38
Senior - BHPian

Check out the facelifted fortuner at

Also check out this article Bangkok Post | Business news | Toyota revs up Fortuner sales with new models

The TV commercial for new Fortuner is at Toyota Fortuner minorchange 2008 TV commercial — AUTOinCAR

Also a good "whats new" link is at 2009 Toyota Fortuner and 2009 Toyota Hilux Vigo at Thailand's top 4x4 exporter importer Soni Motors :: Thailand's Largest Vehicle, Parts and Accessories Exporter :: Exporting Toyota Vigo, Mitsubishi L200 Triton and Toyota Fortuner

Last edited by hondadude : 15th August 2008 at 13:01. Reason: added more info
Old 15th August 2008, 17:31   #39
Senior - BHPian

Whats the use man! It isn't coming to India. Or is it?

Fortuner shoud be awarded "The most frustrating car of the decade" award. Its so close but not in reach.

BTW: I am sold again. . Simply Awesome..

Last edited by Ym-enjn : 15th August 2008 at 17:40.
Old 15th August 2008, 17:42   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Fortuner shoud be awarded "The most frustrating car of the decade" award. Its so close but not in reach.
I agree . There are tons of people who are ready to lap up Fortuner. Toyota can easily spoil the party of CRV/Captiva/Endy/Pajero with this one product. Alas, they seem to be content with selling Innovas.
Old 15th August 2008, 18:03   #41
BHPian

I don't think they will launch fortuner anytime soon. They will be launching corolla altis on 5th sept and then it must take atleast another 6 months or something like that I believe.
Old 15th August 2008, 18:04   #42
BHPian

Honestly, even I thought the Fortuner is a great product for India. When I did have a chance to see the Fortuner (as sold in Dubai), the interiors look awful – the exterior is dated – only thing is it is still a performer (by the way, I am talking about the 4.0 lit V6 petrol edition)

Toyota doesn’t appear to be too interested in India. For instance, there are lots more Toyota’s in Pakistan than in India.

In my opinion, good options for Toyota for India are the low-end Yaris (without the center console; I hate the front consoles mounted in the center), and of course the Corolla and a Landcruiser 70 diesel – the types of which are still sold in some markets such as in Bhutan. Check out the following website:

(Toyota - Land Cruiser 70

The LC70 is very much a mechanical vehicle with very limited electrics – that is the kind I would love to own in India. By the way, is there any way to import such LC’s from Bhutan?
Old 15th August 2008, 18:27   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by -GT- View Post

(Toyota - Land Cruiser 70

The LC70 is very much a mechanical vehicle with very limited electrics – that is the kind I would love to own in India. By the way, is there any way to import such LC’s from Bhutan?
I love the LC70. If there was a way to import it from Butan, it would be awsome. It's also sold in Australia but the Aussie version comes with Toyota's latest 4.4 Liter V8 CRDI Diesel engine.
Old 15th August 2008, 19:37   #44
BHPian

Since India is one of the most densly populated countries in the world, Land cruiser or Fortuner is a bad idea.

RAV4 is an ideal vehicle for middle class indians, and indian road conditions, both for off and on road occasions.

When will Toyota get it??????
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota to roll out GeNext Corolla, Fortuner-rac.jpg  

Last edited by aerohit : 15th August 2008 at 19:42.
Old 17th August 2008, 02:55   #45
BHPian

Toyota is lagging in India and perhaps bit late in waking up! Their high end products like Prado & Camry would never fetch volumes and Corolla is an outdated product that should have got revamped and relaunched couple of years back. In the meantime, Civic took away the market and whatever left by Optra, Octavia, Elantra & Cedia.

That leaves them with only Innova that has kept them going. But Toyota should have realized in all these years that their brand equity in India shouldn't hinge on a "taxi" product like Innova.

They need to overhaul their product line up and come up with newer models. Just the word "Toyota reliability" wouldn't help them if the products are outdated.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed