Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2008, 10:43   #61
Senior - BHPian

This months Autocar claims Fortuner launch soon...to be limite dto 5000 lcal assembled cars in India. Price to slightly undercut CRV & Captiva...17 lacs. This is the 2nd mag making a claim are we warm my Innova workshop guy says this will not happen before 09 end and plans shared shows the Yaris sedan as the next launch and then the small car...these guys are sleeping even the workshop guy is fedup :(
Old 1st October 2008, 14:29   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
This months Autocar claims Fortuner launch soon...to be limite dto 5000 lcal assembled cars in India. Price to slightly undercut CRV & Captiva...17 lacs. This is the 2nd mag making a claim are we warm my Innova workshop guy says this will not happen before 09 end and plans shared shows the Yaris sedan as the next launch and then the small car...these guys are sleeping even the workshop guy is fedup :(
I too read this article but I have stopped believing these articles specially with ACI & Autoindia as mostly, the companies change their decisions in the last moment. Teh biggest setback to me had been Captiva AT article in Feb 07 in autoindia and because of this it was a never ending wait.

Of course Captiva came but in the worst trim I would have liked and second was Scorpio AT - someone claimed yrs 2010 and hence, once bitten twice shy.. and twice bitten.... what to do.

But yes, I admit, I am looking forward to Fortuner and praying it gets launched. I find no car( SUV) matching my spec list but fortuner is the best and nearest match in my budget- even if its just a 5 seater.
Old 1st October 2008, 16:00   #63
Senior - BHPian

Minimum price of Fortuner in Thailand from the above link is 1,059,000 THB converted to INR it becomes Rs: 14.62 Lacs. If its CKD then 60% duty that makes 23.4 Lakhs.. If CBU than 110% duty that brings to 30.70 Lakhs and its got interiors which reminds of Innova. (Seriously thinking shifting from Toyota camp to Honda Camp)
Old 1st October 2008, 16:32   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatrughna View Post
But yes, I admit, I am looking forward to Fortuner and praying it gets launched. I find no car( SUV) matching my spec list but fortuner is the best and nearest match in my budget- even if its just a 5 seater.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
Minimum price of Fortuner in Thailand from the above link is 1,059,000 THB converted to INR it becomes Rs: 14.62 Lacs. If its CKD then 60% duty that makes 23.4 Lakhs.. If CBU than 110% duty that brings to 30.70 Lakhs and its got interiors which reminds of Innova. (Seriously thinking shifting from Toyota camp to Honda Camp)
I think the wait for the Fortuner to launch in India has been one of the most frustrating waits ever! Also, as I was mentioning on the Outlander thread, if that one is going to be priced at 20 lacs ex-showroom, I can't see the Fortuner being any lower.

Quote:
The point is, guys, we need to forget about even the Fortuner launching at anything below this price because -
  • Its a diesel & a Toyota & why the hell would it launch below the Endy or the Outlander for that matter, even if the platform is the Innova's
  • If the Captiva is priced the way it is (because the CRV is priced the way it is) & the X-Trail is priced the way it is, the Fortuner would be at similar levels or one step ahead.
I wonder what the options & price points will be when my Dicor EMIs are up & 3 years have elapsed. Going by present pointers, I'll have to shell out double the price for other options.

I'll probably stick with the 2.2 or whatever else is available at that point..........
Old 1st October 2008, 18:45   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
If you want to compare prices with Thailand, compare the price differential between the Innova and Fortuner in Thailand which is about 250000 THB or about 3.5 lakhs INR more than the Innova. Remember that these two vehicles are based on the same platform and share many common parts in the power-train/body/interiors. If the Innova can be build locally, there is no reason for the Fortuner to be imported as CBU/CKD.

MY guess is the Fortuner will be about 3.5 to 5 lakhs more than a comparably optioned Innova. There seems to be decent volumes in the 15 to 20 Lakh SUV range to justify local production. If they can launch in 15 lakhs it will be a super success. But I doubt Toyota will price it below 18 lakhs since there is virtually no competition for them in that range for an off-road SUV (not including the soft-roaders). I think if they offer it at 18 lakhs, the sales of the Pajero 2.8 and Ford Endevour will pretty much come to a halt, except for the die hard Pajero fans who believe that the Pajero 2.8 is the best thing that happened to this world since sliced bread.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 1st October 2008 at 18:46.
Old 27th October 2008, 15:18   #66
BHPian

Just came across an article in the Autocar mag website where they state confidently that the Toyota Fortuner will be definitely launched by June '09 in India. .

The car will make its way to India via the CKD route which should help to keep the costs down. Only one variant of the engine, i.e. a 3.0 litre D-4D diesel will be provided which makes 163 bhp and 35 kgm of torque. Pricing should be around 18 lakhs on-road cheers:.

I believe that if launched at the price indicated above, this SUV will take the life out of the Mitsubishi Outlander, Ford Endeavour and even the Honda CRV will be under bad threat.

Link to the article is :: AUTOCAR INDIA - CAR AND BIKE MAGAZINE ::
Old 27th October 2008, 16:09   #67
Senior - BHPian

I would never believe 18 Lakhs until it is out in market. Why would Toyota sell a bigger, more powerfull and better equiped SUV at lesser price then other available choice. Even if they launch it at 22 or 24 on road, it will be a big threat to others.
Old 27th October 2008, 17:27   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Why would Toyota sell a bigger, more powerfull and better equiped SUV at lesser price then other available choice..
Simple- To killlll the competition! And also bring justice to the Indian car buyers
Old 27th October 2008, 18:06   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by samirsarkar View Post
I believe that if launched at the price indicated above, this SUV will take the life out of the Mitsubishi Outlander, Ford Endeavour and even the Honda CRV will be under bad threat.
I think it will kill the Ford Endeavour if it is priced competitively. Mitsubishi Outland and Honda CRV cater to a different market segment. The Fortuner is a body on frame SUV with Solid axles and coil sprung suspension. The Outlander and HOnda CRV share the underpinnings with cars from the same stable and hence are inherently more comfortable and handle much better than body on frame SUVs. Besides the folks buying either of these obviously don't care for Diesel. I think the Endy will take the biggest hit followed by the Pajero. This is assuming that Toyota does launch it at about 18 Lakhs on the road.
Old 27th October 2008, 18:44   #70
BHPian

We all are busy writing and waiting for Fortuner. I saw some posts here dated 2005 when Fortuner was just few months away. It isn't here yet and there is no guaranteed official communication from Toyota so why waste time on it

Mitsubishi had announced in Auto India Expo begining of the year 2008 that it would launch Outlander by Q4 and it is launched. I doubt Toyota would launch Fortuner overnight.

In the meantime, test drive Mitsubishi Outlander and fall in love with it.
Old 28th October 2008, 00:48   #71
BHPian

Have heard from a friend in Toyota that they may come up with a D4-D version of the Altis by March/April. Does Anybody Know anything about this ? was the Yaris Being Tested with a diesel engine for this purpose ? I am asking this because he also mentioned that it will be a small 1. or 1.4 turbo diesel with 90 or something Bhp.
Old 10th November 2008, 01:22   #72
BHPian

hi guys
any information about the launch of new cosmetically changed innova.i'm eagerly waiting for the launch.
rgds
braveheart
Old 10th November 2008, 11:49   #73
Senior - BHPian

Its going to be very soon. Registration approval formelities going on in different cities.
Old 10th November 2008, 12:10   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We all are busy writing and waiting for Fortuner. I saw some posts here dated 2005 when Fortuner was just few months away. It isn't here yet and there is no guaranteed official communication from Toyota
Imagine, Fiat are doing a far better job with the Linea launch. They have now come out with an official month of launch too! Looks like Fiat and Toyota exchanged some staff .

Last edited by amit : 10th November 2008 at 12:11.
Old 10th November 2008, 14:54   #75
BHPian

Ya, everyone is waiting for the new Corolla. I feel that the next generation Corolla will roll out with all the latest advancements and innovations. I am waiting to buy one. Hope my wait is worth!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed