Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2009, 18:03   #106
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatrughna View Post
if its inteded to be luanched in Oct- do they need 8-9 months for certification before launch. I hope its launched in August as reported earlier.
Guys
Any ideas?.I am confused and desperate. I have to decide about selling my car only after this.
Cheers
Old 17th February 2009, 18:41   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilipkumar7278 View Post
Guys
Any ideas?.I am confused and desperate. I have to decide about selling my car only after this.
Cheers
I am in the same boat but my new car will be an AT (considering the time I spend in traffic) and looks like Toyota aint gonna launch Fortuner AT anytime soon so I guess I will wait for a month or two and then pick one from Captiva, CRV or Outlander.
Old 17th February 2009, 19:05   #108
Senior - BHPian

i think they will hold the fortuner for a while.But will definitely be launched.
Im guessing they will launch the D4D 3.0 163 Bhp engine on the prado first(after the model change)
Before that the diesel corolla will make it here to kill civic sales.
after that the fortuner will be launched here with a petrol 2.7 ltr engine Because the diesel engine will be shared with the Prado.This is what i feel,either they launch a different engine for the prado instead of the 163 bhp diesel because people wont like driving around in an engine which is available for a 20lac car when they are paying for a 50 lac car(Bangalore On road price of prado)
Toyota is not launching it because of pricing issues.Maybe they will come out with something decent when it launches.

This is only my view, no official confirmation of any kind.
Old 19th February 2009, 12:42   #109
BANNED

Reply from Toyota

Guys
Below is the E-mail reply I got from Toyota Customer care regarding the launch of Fortuner. What to make out from this is anybody's guess.
Cheers
Dilip Kumar
Attached Files
File Type: doc New Microsoft Word Document.doc (25.0 KB, 483 views)
Old 19th February 2009, 12:47   #110
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys
Below is the E-mail reply I got from Toyota Customer care regarding the launch of Fortuner. What to make out from this is anybody's guess.
Cheers
Dilip Kumar
The launch of a product in a new market is the culmination of a long tedious process. You honestly believe any mfg would have replied back to that query with a date? Even if the launch were a week away you would still get this reply.
Old 19th February 2009, 12:50   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys
Cheers

Dilip Kumar
Nice reply from toyota.

The lady from Customer Relations department may not know, as someone said on this forum, these decisions would be taken by MD India (Japanese Person)

Only if he gets hold of this thread.
Old 19th February 2009, 16:47   #112
Senior - BHPian

Folks sent a stinker to Nakagava's (CEO) office asked his secy to have him read it incase he misses the mail. Given him link to this thread lets see what happens. If there is no movement might need you help in bombarding additional mails to them

PS my innova is in its 4th year and frankly need an auto (city driving is killing me) and a 3rd row. Friends (one owns a 3 series in Mumbai) who drove fortuner say it is a fantastic and would be great for India. The guy with the 3 series is going to flog it once the fortuner is here.
Old 24th February 2009, 11:31   #113
Senior - BHPian

Got a call from a Toyota product planning person in response to my letter. He confirmed car launch in India but no green signal on date. He did say that it is coming within 12 months. He had the frozen specs in front of him but could not divulge the same. When I asked should I hold on to my Innova and wait for the launch he advised me to do so. Also mentioned it wil be CKD and not CBU my conclusion prices should be keen. Could not confirm if auto will come or if the engine is 3 liter something about fuel quality (the same 3 liter does duty on Prado!). Toyota should not make the mistake of launching Fortuner with an uprated Innova 2.5D engine which is what I could interprit from the 3 liter fuel quality issues for not launching Prado diesel reason! I also told him he should consider providing automatic as an option form day one and that there is demand for it. Lets hope they do so or else I am out. He did mention that they follow team bhp and other blogs and take our opinions and views very seriously. All those those who want auto option please experss you views!

Last edited by canonball : 24th February 2009 at 11:36.
Old 24th February 2009, 12:03   #114
Senior - BHPian

Economic times talks about toyota's small car plans today. Also that they would wait to get a better tax structure before they launch the prius hybrid. But no talk about fortuner in there.

Here is the link Toyota plans to roll out small car by 2010- Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times
Old 24th February 2009, 12:56   #115
BANNED

Innova

Hi
so no use of waiting for the fortuner,I think. I am now seriously thinking of buying Innova

Cheers
Dilip Kumar
Old 24th February 2009, 13:02   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
Got a call from a Toyota product planning person in response to my letter. He confirmed car launch in India but no green signal on date. He did say that it is coming within 12 months. He had the frozen specs in front of him but could not divulge the same. When I asked should I hold on to my Innova and wait for the launch he advised me to do so. Also mentioned it wil be CKD and not CBU my conclusion prices should be keen. Could not confirm if auto will come or if the engine is 3 liter something about fuel quality (the same 3 liter does duty on Prado!). Toyota should not make the mistake of launching Fortuner with an uprated Innova 2.5D engine which is what I could interprit from the 3 liter fuel quality issues for not launching Prado diesel reason! I also told him he should consider providing automatic as an option form day one and that there is demand for it. Lets hope they do so or else I am out. He did mention that they follow team bhp and other blogs and take our opinions and views very seriously. All those those who want auto option please experss you views!
Nice work. An auto transmission Fortuner is the best deal one can get. Was checking Toyota Philipines site, they sell only AT fortuner there. Such a big vehicle needs to be driven with comfort in city and factory fitted ATs from toyota are the best.

I too am on the same boat, AT Fortuner. Was exploring AT Scorpio as well, but Scorpio cant match Fortuner in any terms.
Old 25th February 2009, 10:27   #117
BHPian

Altis has not got a great response infact sales have settled down to Pre Altis level and they are already offering discounts to a level of 50 K in Delhi . Lack of a Diesel option or may be people have realised that it is old wine in new bottle
( headlights ) for that matter
Old 25th February 2009, 15:01   #118
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
Got a call from a Toyota product planning person in response to my letter........He did say that it is coming within 12 months.
About time I say! Mostly, a product is launched and then demand is created for it. Here is ready demand for a particular car, pent up over 3 years. Give it a good engine and sell it at a good price, all is forgiven Toyota

Quote:
He did mention that they follow team bhp and other blogs and take our opinions and views very seriously.
I bet!
Old 2nd March 2009, 22:04   #119
Senior - BHPian

just saw this going through autocar and it says oct for the launch
:: AUTOCAR INDIA - CAR AND BIKE MAGAZINE ::

Last edited by vinaydas : 2nd March 2009 at 22:06.
Old 3rd March 2009, 04:49   #120
BHPian

Fortuner in India

Guys,
First thing first, Fortuner is not a global product and it is specific for Asia/Pac. I didn't give too much importance to this fact until I saw the interior. especially the second row seating. Its awful! I outrightly rejected for this one reason. Please look for some pictures in google. You will understand. Thigh support is almost not present! It can seat only 2 people plus a kid may be. But the 2nd row bench seat, I just couldn't accept for such a high price. I test drove 30k driven (which is very less in this region) manual, it was nothing exciting. Esp, the low end torque in Scorpio felt better to me. Another disadvantage is this car is very tall with 18 or 19inchers! My in-laws couldn't even get in! They cursed this car!

Build quality was when comparing with RAV4 simply not upto the mark. It clearly shows this is a AP focussed vehicle. Simple interior. I didnt consider even buying this car then! Ranked well below RAV4 interms of overall refinement levels and build quality/fit/finish. FE is another disaster. I asked the sales guy and it was well below 8kmpl for 3.0 D4D.

Engine was a noisy around 3k rpm, typical clatter could be heard, but the engine felt smooth during acceleration. Engine was only the saviour for this model!

As a guy who is looking to replace my 2006 Scorpio, I do not want to buy this one! May be a 2009 Scorpio m-Hawk is a better option at that price with the rest of the money for fuel!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks