Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2008, 07:28   #1
BHPian

Toyota to roll out GeNext Corolla, Fortuner

NEW DELHI: With an aim to increase its presence in the fast-growing Indian automobile market, Toyota Motor Corporation (TKC) plans to launch an array of new vehicles, and will roll out its next-generation Corolla sedan and new compact offroader Fortuner this year.

“We aim to become a full-range car company in the next few years, and, realistically, it’s a big task. We are finalising plans to introduce several new vehicles from the our stable, aiming a much higher market share in India than the current 3%,” said Toyota’s newly appointed India head Hiroshi Nakagawa. “The new vehicles will be both imported and locally manufactured at our Bangalore facility,” he added.

The company is looking at products across the segments, including the luxury marquee Lexus and compact car Diahatsu, that could hit the market in the next few years. “We are in the final lap of bringing in new vehicles in the premium segment, the volume generating small-car segment will be rolled out sometime in 2010,” Mr Nakagawa said.

Priced in Rs 10-14-lakh range, the new Corolla will be pitted against the newly launched Volkswagen Jetta and Honda Civic. Fortuner, in the price band of Rs 15-19 lakh, will compete with Maruti’s Grand Vitara, Honda CRV, Ford Endeavour and GM’s Captiva.

Toyota chief said he was not too worried about the negative impact of rising inflation and galloping fuel prices. “We are closely watching the prevailing low sentiment in the auto market, but are bullish on the potential of the Indian market,” Mr Nakagawa said.

Toyota, which manufactures Corolla and Innova in India through a joint venture with Kirloskar Group, has sold 52,000 vehicles in the last fiscal. It will be expanding its capacity at the Bangalore site to 1.6 lakh by 2010, and roll out its new small car. For this Toyota is finalising its vendor base and will start many of its component-manufacturing subsidiaries in India.

One such subsidiary, Tokai Rika is already setting up a Rs 100-crore greenfield joint venture with Delhi-based component maker NK Minda Group to manufacture seat belts, auto locks and engine immobolizers for the small car.

“We are working closely with the Indian auto-component industry and looking at increasing their cost competitiveness. We shall bring in Toyota’s lean production practices to improve quality and cut costs. We shall enhance the value of products for Indian customers with the first example coming in the shape of our small car,” Mr Nakagawa added.

Source: Toyota to roll out GeNext Corolla, Fortuner- Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times
Old 19th July 2008, 09:29   #2
Senior - BHPian

This is as expected. I eagerly wait for the City/or lower-segment car (hopefully with an automatic) for my beloved wife.
Old 19th July 2008, 09:37   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

once again toyota is giving us hope of the Fortuner. I have my doubt on them keeping their word for this year.
Moreover the fortuner looks very dated now they really need to launch with a newer version
Old 19th July 2008, 09:51   #4
Senior - BHPian

nowhere in the article toyota's India head is quoted as saying that Fortuner will be launched this year so I have my doubts.

@sahil. True, Fortuner now looks dated but to me it still looks better than CRV, Captiva and GV.
Old 19th July 2008, 11:10   #5
Senior - BHPian

Althought the launch of Corolla is expected next month, Fortuner is surprise. It mostly is a false promise. The looks are now a bit dated as compared to what it looked 2 years ago, i.e. if the car came in 2 years ago, then it would be fine, but now Captiva has raised the game as far as external looks are concerned.

I wonder what capacity diesel can it carry, as again the 2.0 ltr Captiva engine has raised the bar. I think Captiva is giving Honda CR-V some tough competetion. They are seriously late for the launch of Fortuner.

I was expecting Innova engine power and torque update. The same engine in Indonasia develops 26 kgm of torque. This will be the most welcome move.

Also they are late for the small car entry. By that time we will have Hyundai i20 and Honda Fit that can ruin Toyota's party.
Old 19th July 2008, 11:15   #6
BHPian

In India you can never trust the Toyota!

One of My cousin is the Sales Head in Uttam Toyota for NCR. He himself says that even they are never clear about the product line up and launches.

The Fortuner was supposed to be launched 3 years back, didn't happened as of yet and still nobody knows?

New Corolla was supposed to be out by Diwali last year, still not launched

As per him, the dealers are realy finding very hard to survive with only very few takers of Camry and Corrola

Wake Up Toyota!

NOTE FROM SUPPORT - READ THE RULES. ONLY 2 SMILIES PER POST ALLOWED

Last edited by normally_crazy : 19th July 2008 at 13:58. Reason: Extra Smilies
Old 19th July 2008, 13:33   #7
oss
BHPian

I wonder why Toyota is not bringing in Vios to India. That can give a serious competition to Honda City.
There is no real competition to Honda in the C+ segment, and Vios can be an instant sucess if brought in.
Toyota seem to be taking it too easy oflate in the Indian market.
Old 19th July 2008, 13:54   #8
Senior - BHPian

good

The giant is waking up and best part is the market is having least expectations from them. It looks so positive ahead. Toyota and Honda do healthy competition in many countries. The Hondas were also missing Toyota (they were not forced to try too hard for nothing, but whatever they offered, at least they priced it VFM) but the likes of Skoda were having a party with their premium pricing, outdated models and underpowered engines. The over confidence is visible clearly in the launch of Jetta. Competition will benefit not only the customers but also the industry.

Agreed Toyota is little late but many times there are reasons which are not under your control. But now to catch up with that Toyota will try their best to offer the best. Customers know that Toyota 'can' offer the best. Their price strategy is also positive that is, to set process to cut the costs and save money there, and offer best quality at reasonable price. Not call themselves a premium brand and charge more on name of quality.

Many countries the Fortuner is already updated from what we see in the popular pictures in India. (Search Youtube)

Toyota our full support to you, Indian customers will welcome you again with open hands.
Old 19th July 2008, 13:56   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_budhiraj View Post
New Corolla was supposed to be out by Diwali last year, still not launched
I think the worldwide launch of Toyota Corolla was late because they were to redesign the panels i.e. exterior looks after Toyota saw Civic.

US also got the Corolla late.

IIRC, ACI ( AutoCar India ) had mentioned since long that Corolla is coming in August 2008.

Neverthless, it is reported in another thread that Corolla is coming with 137PS/ ( approx )134.9 bhp!
The dealers will have a reason to rejoice again.

BTW, did he mention the real date of lauch of Toyota Corolla ?
Old 19th July 2008, 14:54   #10
BHPian

Corolla at 10-14 L seems to be an addition from the journalist. The dealers in Bangalore are not even pushing hard to sell off the existing cars because the new one will apparently start at 14L OTR, Bangalore.

(What I heard from Nandi Toyota is that there are plenty of luxury taxi operators willing to lap up the existing stock.)

Last edited by CBlazer : 19th July 2008 at 14:56.
Old 19th July 2008, 15:12   #11
Senior - BHPian

Toyota has always been a lazy starter. And that too in India they do not want to take any chances. The investments made till now is not so much when compared to the investments made by them in other countries. If they want to catch the race for the auto space in India, they need to act fast and have to launch host of the cars from their stable.
Old 19th July 2008, 15:35   #12
BHPian

Toyota Fortuner minor facelift for Aug 2008 :

AutoIndustrie: Toyota Fortuner Minor Change (Facelift), August 2008.

Thursday, July 3, 2008

Toyota Fortuner Minor Change (Facelift), August 2008.

An Indian automotive blog [COLOR=#336699]AutoINcar[/COLOR] has managed to get hold images of the new Toyota Fortuner Minor Change (Facelift). The images are supposedly leaked from some sales guide training material in Thailand, one of the main production hubs for the Fortuner. Sales are expected to begin by August 2008, thus expect sales in the regional ASEAN markets of Indonesia, Malaysia and Singapore to follow soon.

Images courtesy of [COLOR=#336699]AutoINcar[/COLOR]

The images above are based on Thai-specs model. SatNav have been available as an optional item on many Thai Toyota models for quite some. It is left to be seen if Fortuners (or even Innovas) in Malaysia, Indonesia and Singapore will be offered the SatNav option.

As the Fortuner, Innova and Hilux are all derivatives of the [COLOR=#336699]IMV platform[/COLOR], do expect facelift versions of the Hilux, Innova to be released almost the same time well.

In typical Toyota fashion, meaning "if it ain't broken don't fix it," expect only minor changes to the exterior styling and interior trim. Much of the inside bits will be carried over from the current model.

I have driven this car before, never really liked it. Steers like its on stilts, bloody heavy and thirsty. A full tank can barely cover 400km! Even if you ignore the fuel prices, the inconvenience of frequent refueling alone is enough to put me off. Not to mention the fact it is just environmentally irresponsible to be seen in a Fortuner in this age of climate change talk. A 4x2 version sold in Singapore and Indonesia would make more sense since its 4WD capability is hardly used by most of its owners anyway.

It makes me wonder what's the point of this car? The sheer size and weight of the vehicle would make its off-road credentials highly questionable. Try asking any avid off-roader for his opinion how soon will this SUV be bogged down in soft ground and tight forest trails.

Posted by AutoIndustrie at [COLOR=#336699]10:36 PM[/COLOR]
Old 19th July 2008, 16:31   #13
Senior - BHPian

Gives an impression of the Innova from the front grill, interiors look good, if they intend to provide the same specs here.
Old 19th July 2008, 18:18   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBlazer View Post
Corolla at 10-14 L seems to be an addition from the journalist. The dealers in Bangalore are not even pushing hard to sell off the existing cars because the new one will apparently start at 14L OTR, Bangalore.
This pricing is not impossible. If they can sell at these prices in other countries like USA and others, then in India they have comparatively cheaper labor and cheaper expenses. Then why can't here. Only because people are willing to pay more. People will think if it’s cheaper than its in lower segment. Right?

If every other company is charging more and people are happy to pay more then why should they also not charge more. But no this is TOYOTA. This is where the difference is. They stand high at customer satisfaction because of their strategies of farsightedness and ethics.

Hardcore Toyota Fan.
Old 19th July 2008, 18:19   #15
Senior - BHPian

Fortuner is what i have been waiting for a long time.
But i think Toyota's again fooling the people.

Saw a fortuner in Khan Market and 1 in mauritius and many in dubai .
Look Innova-ish....
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks