Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2008, 02:24   #241
BHPian

Good looks and features aside, Its so pathetic of Toyota to give in a 4 speed automatic! I doubt we would get anyhthing above 5.5-6kmpl in city drive with this lousy automatic! in days of 6 & 7 speeds, Toyota is still at 4 speed! a quiet shameful thing when it comes to this!

I am thinking of the civic more than the Altis, because of its 5 speed automatic, which is definately going to be more efficient than a 4 speed auto box!
Old 6th September 2008, 02:29   #242
Team-BHP Support

True it's old technology 4 speed but the mileage isn't that bad. The current corolla AT is also the same and manages 9-10kmpl in city quite easily. That is almost the same as Civic AT. The Civic AT does not go to double digits at all, 8-9kmpl max in city. The Corolla has better bottom end torque which is what helps. Where the Civic AT will downshift, the Corolla may pull through in a higher gear.
Old 6th September 2008, 02:56   #243
BHPian

We have a Civic in close family, driven very nicely, in chennai, and has NEVER given anything above 7.2kmpl in its 1 year of ownership! Usually 6-7kmpl. this is in descent driving style - no pulling hard, etc. and there is no way it can give 9-10kmpl in Indian traffic!
Vid6639, i think u got the figures quiet wrong on that...or u telling of figures possible in LA!
Old 6th September 2008, 03:08   #244
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Devil View Post
We have a Civic in close family, driven very nicely, in chennai, and has NEVER given anything above 7.2kmpl in its 1 year of ownership! Usually 6-7kmpl. this is in descent driving style - no pulling hard, etc. and there is no way it can give 9-10kmpl in Indian traffic!
Vid6639, i think u got the figures quiet wrong on that...or u telling of figures possible in LA!
lol. Insane devil. I don't think I was off by that much. 7.2kmpl compared to 8kmpl is not very far off.

If you go through the forum itself you can read that civic AT owner say 8-9kmpl. One of my friends in Mumbai also gets similar figures.

Maybe you meant Corolla and not Civic?

If I said Civic gives 6-7kmpl then all honda fans would pounce on me for stating incorrect figures even if it were true.
Old 6th September 2008, 10:15   #245
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcash View Post
Just spotted a funny thing in the brochure - either the Multi Info Display is broken or this is going to be one very expensive car to run.
Spot on ! I noticed the samething from a flash slideshow on their website.

Definatly you need a keen eye to spot something like that as it was on the screen for barely a second before the next image came up. Most viewers would not spot it,nonetheless it's bad marketing.
Old 6th September 2008, 10:44   #246
Senior - BHPian

The mid is right... when I floored the Corolla yesterday at the launch the real time mileage indicator was showing me 6.1 kmpl!
By the way the car is really nice and Toyota is claiming 14.86 kmpl in standard conditions for the manual version and 14.36 kmpl for the automatic! The figures just differ by .5kmpl
Old 6th September 2008, 10:56   #247
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Insane Devil : Its so pathetic of Toyota to give in a 4 speed automatic!
Too many gears will also mean more hunting, esp in our traffic conditions.

Having said that, hopefully Toytoa has tested suitability of 4-speed & 5-speed AT's. It would
Quote:
extreme_torque : Toyota is claiming 14.86 kmpl in standard conditions for the manual version and 14.36 kmpl for the automatic!
Key words here : Standard Conditions.
be hard for them to miss the FE consciousness of the Indian customer.

Last edited by condor : 6th September 2008 at 10:58.
Old 6th September 2008, 11:01   #248
Distinguished - BHPian

Even if u consider the "standard conditions" the different in FE between manual and automatic is just .5 ?! I'd expect at least 1-2 km/liter less.
Old 6th September 2008, 11:09   #249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Devil View Post
Good looks and features aside, Its so pathetic of Toyota to give in a 4 speed automatic! I doubt we would get anyhthing above 5.5-6kmpl in city drive with this lousy automatic! in days of 6 & 7 speeds, Toyota is still at 4 speed! a quiet shameful thing when it comes to this!

I am thinking of the civic more than the Altis, because of its 5 speed automatic, which is definately going to be more efficient than a 4 speed auto box!
Really so. What is meant by efficiency?. The old one had 4 AT and so has the new Corolla. Civic has 5 speed agreed. But, Corolla's 4AT has had no effect on FE as testified by tested FE figures by EPA, Consumer Reports, and various other orgs. With its 4AT, the old Corolla was almost always in the top cars for FE. Why do you not compare tested FE for Corolla and Civic.

As an actual user of Corolla AT for 19 mths now, I get a range of 9-13 kmpl in Delhi.
Old 6th September 2008, 11:16   #250
Senior - BHPian

IF the Corolla ends up giving close to 15 kmpl. It has a winner in it's hand ! A friend's 2004 Corolla has been giving 12-13 kmpl in city driving (it is a manual), and close to 17-18 on the highway. A.C on 100%.

The Civic better watch out. The Civic owners that I know have never reported better than 9 kmpl in the city & 12-13 kmpl on the highway.

This is going to be an interesting battle !!

Cheers
Old 6th September 2008, 15:15   #251
BHPian

Even with the Archaic 4-speed transmission I found the toyota Corolla to be a much drivable car due to the torqey nature of the engine and there is less hunting between gears and of course the fuel efficiency is the best in the business(except the City CVT). and the paddle shift in the civic takes too much time to shift, where as the tiptronic coming in the corolla is said to be quite good, engine braking is also said to be real good , haven't driven the car myself but will do next week and will post a proper review.
Old 6th September 2008, 15:28   #252
BHPian

Corolla Altis Review

Anybody test drove the Corolla Altis. Test Drive car is set to arrive on the 9th. I went and saw the display car and it seems to be impressing. Obviously the Civic has much more appeal but the Corolla is not far behind. I liked the features in it and the small touches. The G is priced at 12.8 Lacs OTR and the top of the line auto at 14 something OTR. Base models get HIDs, way to go Toyota.

However i think Toyota has based the new model on the old one, the suspension seems to be similar as the previous variants and i saw pics of a Corolla xRS with the exteriors of the new one and interiors of the old one, so is this a all new model? Engine is the same as well i guess tweaked a little. Did anyone test drive the car and what are your opinions after seeing the car? Civic or Corolla or Jetta? I would pick the Linea

Pictures taken from Toyota Corolla Altis Review
Attached Thumbnails
All new Corolla coming soon EDIT: Corolla Altis now Launched-corolla-altis.jpg  

All new Corolla coming soon EDIT: Corolla Altis now Launched-toyota-corolla-altis-interiors.jpg  

All new Corolla coming soon EDIT: Corolla Altis now Launched-corolla-altis-engine.jpg  

Old 6th September 2008, 16:08   #253
Senior - BHPian

I'm not a big fan of the looks, but I'm fairly impressed by the interior. Apparently every variant has a couple of features more that the equivalent of the Civic, and the pricing is right too. Sounds like a typical Toyota recipe.
Old 6th September 2008, 17:36   #254
Senior - BHPian

I like the Civic dash board better than Altis dash board. Hope they are bringing out with a diesel version also. It would be a good competition to Jetta/Skoda. However, I will wait for full TD

Last edited by ajmat : 6th September 2008 at 17:52.
Old 6th September 2008, 17:48   #255
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
However i think Toyota has based the new model on the old one,
Took the words right out of my mouth. Though it is an all-new platform, the Altis looks so much like the previous gen. In fact, the rear and side profiles are near identical.

Still a good pricing strategy by Toyota....undercutting Honda, however small the margin. I am disappointed with the 4 speed auto as also the lack of a diesel option. The Altis would sell atleast 3 times as much if it had a good common-rail unit. Those who are looking at practicality will choose the Altis over the Civic.

Most Viewed