Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2008, 12:55   #91
BHPian

I would rather stick to proven Honda Civic than Altis !
Old 19th August 2008, 15:08   #92
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sary View Post
Come on, give Toyota some credit based on what the *Corolla* has delivered for the last 4 decades. The Corolla is also the best selling nameplate ever. There is nothing unproven about a Corolla, vis a vis the Civic.
Old 19th August 2008, 15:08   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thats very true and very human.. Many people think like that. Even in The US, Altis was a slow starter, but it took only few months to spoil the party of Civic there. Till April Civic was the best seller, but from May Corolla Altis is the best seller in US.

As for India, Altis is second generation Corolla and Civic is still first generation. The company is saying that they have addressed many issues from the older corolla, therefore for India Altis is equally reliable (if not more)then Civic.

Funny, one "Honda" dealer salseman was telling me that there will be two models of Altis lower on at 1326000/- on road for Jaipur and the other at 1454000/- on road. I wonder where he got that information from?
Old 19th August 2008, 16:02   #94
oss
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
spotted this on sunday while coming from bangalore on GQ ..... sorry cudn't take any front pics :( ..... from front it looked like pretty much same to current camry, the guy was driving very slow around 60kmph constant.
Here's how the front look like.....

Note from the Team-BHP Support : Please note that it is now imperative for you to upload pictures directly to the Team-BHP Server. Click here to view our simple help article on uploading pictures.

Last edited by Technocrat : 20th August 2008 at 14:25. Reason: See note in post
Old 19th August 2008, 16:38   #95
BHPian

Actually the Altis will be available in 3 versions one Base and 2 Full Options one with A/T and One Manual. priced between 11 and 13.75
Old 19th August 2008, 20:45   #96
BHPian

Quote:
I own one of those proven civics. Proven, no to disappoint any spead breakers in bangalore, kiss them all.
Civic - My first honda and my last honda.
[sorry, digressed]
Old 19th August 2008, 21:19   #97
BANNED

Quote:
Oh yeah! Proven Honda Civic, low ground clearance, rocket performance, M800 mileage, bland interiors ( Night I agree, daylight it s**ks with faded plastics of age ), people driven an A/T will sure feel better driving Fiesta 1.6S!

Corolla the most practical option with better features and bullet-proof reliability, I own a Corolla Feb2004, 1,40,000kms on the ODO and matches performance of newer Corollas, CIVIC nothing to write about.

Major components changed - just Clutch Plate and radiator(due to accident)!

Oh yes, this is proven Toyota Corolla last gen, cant even dream how good the new car going to be!

Looks = yeah good for that feel good factor and other poser related stuff, but I just cant compromise on Performance and VFM.
Old 19th August 2008, 21:29   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Spoken like a true Indian - I dont care what is available in the rest of the world, mera gaddi mahaan! I live in a part of the world where good 2nd hand Corollas with very low mileage probably cost more than a brand new Civic.

Hamara Bajaj has been replaced by Hamara Honda in India - why do we always go overboard about celebrities, movies and brands?

Last edited by Steeroid : 19th August 2008 at 21:34.
Old 19th August 2008, 22:22   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vittalnrv View Post
Oh yeah! Proven Honda Civic, low ground clearance, rocket performance, M800 mileage, bland interiors ( Night I agree, daylight it s**ks with faded plastics of age ), people driven an A/T will sure feel better driving Fiesta 1.6S!
That would be quite harsh. But yeah noone can doubt Corolla s quality. Civic might feel the pinch if they dont launch back S version. Corolla will eat its sales in between E & V version.
Old 19th August 2008, 22:58   #100
Senior - BHPian

I dont think either of these models are going to outsell the other by huge margins. But the Altis will have to do a lot of work to bring back lost volumes to Toyota.

Agreed with the Quality/Reliability factor and all that, but if that was Toyota's saving grace how come the Civic is easily outselling the present Corolla. Agreed that its a generation behind but its also sold (after discounts) more than 3 lacs less. The Civic has the blessing of the Honda brand name which in India weighs in more than a Toyota anyday, primarily due to the Taxi image of the Qualis/Innova. Also the Civic looks far better even compared to the new Altis (subjective matter).

Toyota also has the inherent talent of shooting at its own foot.
Firstly, they will horribly overprice it. They always do, just look at the Camry. They still havent rethought their strategy despite the Accord pulling in decent volumes.

They will never bring in the diesel variant. Competing with a Honda petrol unit wont be easy, bring in a diesel and there is no competition outright.
Honda still does not have a Service back up for diesel engines and they will not be in an easy position to reply to a Diesel Altis.
Toyota has a Diesel infrstructure in place ever since they have started in India. Considering that at least 80% of the Altis will be imported for assembly, especially the engine, why not plonk in a Diesel one.

All this will only fall to deaf ear.
Expect Toyota to sell the Petrol Altis at 12-14 lacs and still let the Civic lead the segment.
Old 19th August 2008, 23:34   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesal View Post
from what you have mentioned. its more loaded than the freaking civic. now i am tempted
The altis already look a bit dated. Expect this car to drop sales in 3mths from its launch.

Note from mod: Post EDITED : Personal attacks are strictly against the board rules, please post in a civil manner

Last edited by tsk1979 : 20th August 2008 at 14:32.
danlalan is offline   Received Infraction
Old 20th August 2008, 01:10   #102
BHPian

I personally like this new look Corolla. I feel it stands a fair chance to take the sales away from the Civic and if they launch the Diesel than the VWs and Skodas better watch out ...
Old 20th August 2008, 01:14   #103
BHPian

Hmmm I've been driving a Corolla for the past 3 years...top spec. The car has never, ever, ever, ever, ever let me down!

Sorry for the emphasis there, but the thing just keeps ploughing on and on.

Point is if it weren't for the bland styling of the current gen Corolla, I'd feel great driving it! However, the high stance and interiors styled to please an executive leave the younger generation wanting.

That being said, I have TDed the Civic, driven friends' Civics extensively and even considered getting one, but my Corolla wins over the Civic any day!
Not because it's my car. Look at the door handles of the Civic from the inside. Even the dash fails to impress...Oh wow look a "futuristic dash" hogwash! The wheel in the civic, plastic wow how unimpressive! Couldnt' stomach it one bit. And the paddles in the AT feel flimsy and are utterly useless

Thus the Altis with it's modern and aggressive styling will leave other cars in its segment in the dust! Honda better have an ace up it's sleeve.

cheers:
DocG
Old 20th August 2008, 03:17   #104
Senior - BHPian

guys i found this video of the Altis. i did not find much change in the exteriors except for the front end. with sports kit it looks fabulous.

Last edited by speedy : 20th August 2008 at 03:21.
Old 20th August 2008, 10:27   #105
BANNED

For a true blue Toyota fan, what more than hold on to his breath till September??

This is something I will definitely spend my nights dreaming about. A new Toyota! A new Corolla!! A new name!!! Ooooh my god!! Please help me!

Most Viewed