Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2017, 16:39   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: What are the minimum requirements for the RTO to deem a car Road-Legal?

I think it has something to do with ability to pass the ARAI crash test at 56 kmph. If your contraption can pass the test, then you can sell it as a "car". The only reason why Bajaj Qute cannot be sold as a car is because it does not pass the 56 kmph ARAI crash test.

Also, I'm pretty sure a car needs to pass stricter emission regulations as compared to commercial vehicles.

Last edited by SmartCat : 25th January 2017 at 16:44.
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2018, 05:18   #32

Re: Home Built Cruiser & how to make it road-legal in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
If I want to build my own little car based on a similar frame like this – what are the legalities that I need to follow to put it on road?

(Considering that we already have “black smoke and unstable cars that don’t deserve to be on road”)

It will be powered by a Honda VTEC – so pollution will not be an issue, + 4 wheel disc brakes etc.

Just want to know if it is feasible in India – (assuming that I already have parts supplier and other resources)

Interesting question aerohit, I've personally done some ground level research about it and received the following +ve and -ve's pointers.

As for legal reference: It is legal to manufacture/assemble your own vehicle post clearance under CMV rule no 126 for issuance of TYPE APPROVAL CERTIFICATE (TAC) and CONFORMITY OF PRODUCTION (COP) Certificate.

This can be done by a few Govt authorized institutions such as ARAI, iCAT etc

few +ve's:
1) Nothing better than the feeling and experience of DIY and brag value.
2) Personal preference based customization and mods.
3) Ultimately, it will still be cheaper than buying a D1/C2 segment sedan

(here comes the tons of -ve's):
1) ARAI clearance: ARAI will require 4 cars of same spec production for inspecting multiple aspects not limited to Full Vehicle Evaluation but also Chassis rigidity, 56 kmph Vehicle safety testing, Emission, Engine testing, Electrical and several other parameters. Basically Homologation.

2) Time: While it would take a reasonable time to manufacture 1 for personal use (few months), making 4 (will take over a year) just for testing would be pain to entire body and soul.
And obviously this is further extended by testing and certification timeline, so you may need to plan for atleast 2 yrs ahead approx.

3) Cost: Producing 5 cars for getting 1 car "on road" wouldn't be everyone's cup of latte. Plus registration cost and so forth.

4) Insurance: Firstly getting vehicle insured with be a task in itself, further the annual premium will cost you an arm, leg and few other parts YOY as this will be considered as custom vehicle (not from a standard manufacturer), hence high premium.

My personal thoughts: Instead of getting it road worth, many people drive such vehicles on private land such as farm for recreational use or racetracks with private booking.
wandererashima is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2018, 08:38   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
I think it has something to do with ability to pass the ARAI crash test at 56 kmph.
Generally the certifying agencies conduct destructive and non destructive test. This is a standard followed globally. A vehicle maybe certified road worthy by way of non destructive testing but will not necessarily receive a safety rating.

Example is the koenigsegg and Bugatti cars are all certified based a non destructive Homologation process.

Example from india, ferrari, porsche and Lamborghini are all certified via a non destructive process.

Below is ARAI link for vehicle certification process.

https://www.araiindia.com/services_c..._vehicles.aspx

ARAI link for homologation

https://araiindia.com/hmr/index.aspx

Last edited by Harish.Krovvidi : 26th June 2018 at 08:46. Reason: Spelling
Harish.Krovvidi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2018, 09:41   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandererashima View Post
(here comes the tons of -ve's):
1) ARAI clearance: ARAI will require 4 cars of same spec production for inspecting multiple aspects not limited to Full Vehicle Evaluation but also Chassis rigidity, 56 kmph Vehicle safety testing, Emission, Engine testing, Electrical and several other parameters. Basically Homologation.
Just curious on how someone like DC does it? Are their designs and custom changes compliant with the laws?
Old 26th June 2018, 12:55   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harish.Krovvidi View Post
Below is ARAI link for vehicle certification process.
Also check out https://www.araiindia.com/faqs_aype_...ertificate.asp

A lot of questions raised earlier on this thread, are answered. The FAQs are reproduced below, for your convenience.

Cheers,

FourWheelDrift

Quote:
Type Approval (TA) Certificate

Q. What is the procedure for obtaining Vehicle Type Approval certificate for compliance to CMVR?

A. Vehicle manufacturer is required to send application to the test agency. He can do so by filling up detailed vehicle specifications in the requisite format. This format is available on website as document number AIS 007.

Q. I am a small-scale manufacturer in India. I produce/ want to produce only very small number of vehicles. Do I still need TA certificate?

A. Yes. Any manufacturer, who intends to produce vehicle for use on road, for registration by transport Authority would require compliance certificate to Central Motor Vehicles Rules (CMVR).

Q. Which tests are required in order to grant approval to vehicles?

A. The tests are related to safety, emission and other requirements as notified by Ministry of Road Transport and Highways from time to time. These tests are performed on safety critical components/ assemblies and also on full vehicles. Category-wise details are available on ARAI website.

Q. Is it necessary that every vehicle should be sent to ARAI for testing?

A. If the manufacturer is seeking CMVR compliance certificate, he has to establish compliance by carrying out requisite tests on a prototype model. He should approach to the test agencies notified under CMVR. ARAI is one such agency.

Q. Is the test vehicle destroyed/ damaged during testing?

A. Majority of the tests are non-destructive in nature. However some of the test related to crash (4 wheelers) are destructive in nature. Separate body shells/ components are required for such tests.

Q. I have designed a vehicle using already tested engine and other components. Do I still need vehicle approval?

A. There are several other requirements related to vehicle performance, components and safety parameters. Your vehicle will have to comply to all such regulatory requirements enforced from time to time.

Q. I want the list of the vehicles already approved by ARAI. I also want the specifications of the approved vehicles.

A. Type Approval Certificate is issued by the test agency to the vehicle manufacturer and hence the manufacturer holds the distribution rights. This documents are not available through ARAI in public domain.

Q. For my study purpose I require certain specifications/ details of a particular vehicle model which is approved by ARAI. Where and how can I get this information? I am prepared to pay any charges if required.

A. You should approach the vehicle manufacture or his representative. As stated in earlier question, this information is not available in the public domain through ARAI. You may like to refer the similar information published in other public domain.

Q. Is ARAI's certificate necessary for registering the vehicle in India?

A. Registration is granted by transport authorities. One of the requirements for registration of any vehicle is the compliance certificate submitted by the vehicle manufacturer. The manufacturer gets model-wise certificates from testing agencies like ARAI.

Q. I have designed a special vehicle, which will remain in close premises and will not come on the road. Is it still necessary to get ARAI approval?

A. No. If the vehicle is not classified as motor vehicle, certificate from test agency is not required.

Q. New norms are notified from time to time. Where do I get the consolidated information about the latest notifications?

A. There are agencies who can give you consolidated notifications. You can also procure those from the Law Ministry, New Delhi. ARAI publishes a compilation of gazette notifications. You can subscribe for online services of ARAI. See https://araiindia.com/hmr/index.aspx for more details.

Last edited by Rehaan : 28th June 2018 at 14:36. Reason: Adding a touch of formatting :)
FourWheelDrift is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2018, 15:18   #36

Re: Home Built Cruiser & how to make it road-legal in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHerring View Post
Just curious on how someone like DC does it? Are their designs and custom changes compliant with the laws?
lol looks like someone had fancied few concepts from DC in the early 00's..

Speaking of DC, majority of their vehicles are "mods" than new cars built frame up. (Remember that rather disappointing bollywood flick called Taarzan the Wonder Car) OR INR 5.5 Lacs upgrade on the Old Innova with recliner seats. Hence no Homologation required.

As for the rare 1 or 2 cars ever mentioned in either Auto expo/website, those are POC, proof of concepts which on further customer demand will be made to order and processed through same ARAI testing process.

Basically, if you DIY, all cost is on you. For DC its business to sell to customer.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks