Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2010, 08:01   #91
BHPian

I would pick Hyundai SANTA FE over CRV or even Fortuner. SANTA FE has been fairly successful in USA and looks a winner in every bit of it. Even WhatCar.co.uk (the harshest of critics around) showered praises on it.

If Santa Fe manages to sneak in with "R" series diesels at around 20 Lacs, it deserves to succeed. (More than CRV or Fortuner - Both of which offer so little for this amount of money).
Old 30th March 2010, 11:22   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grafin View Post
Ive driven the CRV and i liked it.

Eagerly Waiting for the Santa Fe to come to India

A Hyundai priced higher than a Honda?

Yes!! Hard to believe it right?Its because Santa fe is not in the same league of CRV.
Santa Fe is a model that is considered a class above the CRV may be equal to Honda MRV or pilot.
Anyways what you mentioned about the scenario in India is absolutely correct.
Honda has a very high brand value compared to Hyundai.But I believe this is more to do with preception .
I still know a lot of people who believe only Maruti can create best vehicles in India and if they have to buy one then they will opt only for a Maruti no matter how wierd the design is or what features it provides.
The same perception is there for toyota and honda on higher segments.
Jazz is still finding buyers even with its ridiculous pricing.
That being said CRV is not a bad vehicle at all but compared to Santa Fe I believe Hyundai wins the game.
Old 30th March 2010, 12:32   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If u r considering the Santa Fe, u still have the option of the Endeavour, Fortuner, and CRV.

U r spot on when u talk abt the aspects of buying a car, and Hyundai by any means is not going to be cool. So if u go for a balance of merits and X factor, ul end up buying something else in the same category.
Personally, I don't give any weightage to image/snob value/public perceptions, so if I am out to buy an SUV in this backet, it is going to be purely based on the merits of the product, my requirements and what appeals to me.
Santa Fe is more car-like SUV and Endeavour/Fortuners are slightly different type of vehicles.

Last edited by Guna : 30th March 2010 at 12:33.
Old 30th March 2010, 13:57   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen_n View Post
Yes!! Hard to believe it right?Its because Santa fe is not in the same league of CRV.
Santa Fe is a model that is considered a class above the CRV may be equal to Honda MRV or pilot.
Atleast in UAE, the Santa Fe was always in the same league as the CRV albeit priced a bit lower than the Honda. The MRV/Pilot competes against the Nissan Pathfinder,Ford Explorer and the Hyundai Veracruz.
Old 30th March 2010, 19:46   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnair View Post
Atleast in UAE, the Santa Fe was always in the same league as the CRV albeit priced a bit lower than the Honda. The MRV/Pilot competes against the Nissan Pathfinder,Ford Explorer and the Hyundai Veracruz.
Dont know about the latest prices as last time when I checked Santafe was about 105000 DHS for topend compared to CRV's 98000.
Old 30th March 2010, 22:40   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Anyways what you mentioned about the scenario in India is absolutely correct.
Honda has a very high brand value compared to Hyundai.But I believe this is more to do with preception .
I still know a lot of people who believe only Maruti can create best vehicles in India and if they have to buy one then they will opt only for a Maruti no matter how wierd the design is or what features it provides.
The same perception is there for toyota and honda on higher segments.
Jazz is still finding buyers even with its ridiculous pricing.
That being said CRV is not a bad vehicle at all but compared to Santa Fe I believe Hyundai wins the game.
The CRV im sure is just an upgrade away from becoming better than the Santa Fe.
And if Honda does see the Santa Fe as a threat, im very sure they will do something to make sure they dont lose market.
share.
Hope they do it in time.
Old 30th March 2010, 23:19   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Personally, I don't give any weightage to image/snob value/public perceptions, so if I am out to buy an SUV in this backet, it is going to be purely based on the merits of the product, my requirements and what appeals to me.
Santa Fe is more car-like SUV and Endeavour/Fortuners are slightly different type of vehicles.
Thats your personal choice now.

When you spend like 15+ lakhs for a car, a good brand image is very much necessary.
The Accord and the Sonata were priced at almost the same , but its no surprise that the Accord sold more. People are brand conscious these days.
Old 30th March 2010, 23:56   #98
BHPian

Quote:
And if Honda does see the Santa Fe as a threat, im very sure they will do something to make sure they dont lose market.
share.
Hope they do it in time.
What market share? CRV has NO market share in the segment ( in India ), It does not sell more than 30-50 units. Honda really has to tighten up the screws as apart from ANHC none of their cars are anywhere near the competition.
Old 31st March 2010, 00:49   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Dont know about the latest prices as last time when I checked Santafe was about 105000 DHS for topend compared to CRV's 98000.
The Santa Fe is priced between 85K-112K Dhs. (2.4L/172Bhp/225Nm torque).There is a new 3.5L V6 (276Bhp/335Nm torque) version also but not sure of the pricing,it should be higher than the CR-V.

The CR-V is priced between 90K-115K Dhs (2.4L I-VTEC/168 Bhp/219Nm torque).

Some special offers from Hyundai brings down the price of the Santa Fe even lower. Honda rarely comes up with such offers.

Last edited by harishnair : 31st March 2010 at 01:07.
Old 31st March 2010, 01:18   #100
BHPian

Very common SUV here in K.S.A.
Old 31st March 2010, 09:19   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
I waited for him to overtake me and then got close. The badging at the back said CRDI - I couldn't read the rest. When the driver realized me tailing him he took off. The car had a strange number plate: NL-05 XXXX.
None of you guys may have noticed, but alot of the most awesome cars in Mumbai have MP and NL Registrations. Yes, NL Registration refers to Nagaland
Old 31st March 2010, 09:55   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thats your personal choice now.

When you spend like 15+ lakhs for a car, a good brand image is very much necessary.
The Accord and the Sonata were priced at almost the same , but its no surprise that the Accord sold more. People are brand conscious these days.
Quote:
If u r considering the Santa Fe, u still have the option of the Endeavour, Fortuner, and CRV.

U r spot on when u talk abt the aspects of buying a car, and Hyundai by any means is not going to be cool. So if u go for a balance of merits and X factor, ul end up buying something else in the same category.
I agree I was talking about personal choice and the majority does give a lot to image/snob value. I was promted to tell about my personal choice since you seemed to give me a personal suggetion
You are right about the case of Accord vs.Sonata. But I believe the SUV buyers would be more rational and look at practicality as against luxury car where Brand value rules. But I could be wrong.
Old 31st March 2010, 11:01   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnair View Post
The Santa Fe is priced between 85K-112K Dhs. (2.4L/172Bhp/225Nm torque).There is a new 3.5L V6 (276Bhp/335Nm torque) version also but not sure of the pricing,it should be higher than the CR-V.

The CR-V is priced between 90K-115K Dhs (2.4L I-VTEC/168 Bhp/219Nm torque).

Some special offers from Hyundai brings down the price of the Santa Fe even lower. Honda rarely comes up with such offers.
I believe I recieved the price for V6 then .I was checking the prices when I wanted to buy one in jan '10 and then finaly settled down for a kia Mohave
Old 31st March 2010, 11:06   #104
BHPian

Quote:
share.
Hope they do it in time.
Well the thing is Honda does not have a high market share for SUV's atleast in Middle east.They have only the CRV and pilot on offer which is miniscule compared to other brands.
Majority goes in for a nissan or toyota or the American (GMC,FORD,Mercury)
Those who do not have much money to spend go in for a Kia Sportage or Hyiundai Tucson.
What honda is good for is their cars.You will find large number of accords here.
Old 31st March 2010, 12:11   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Well the thing is Honda does not have a high market share for SUV's atleast in Middle east.They have only the CRV and pilot on offer which is miniscule compared to other brands.
Majority goes in for a nissan or toyota or the American (GMC,FORD,Mercury)
Those who do not have much money to spend go in for a Kia Sportage or Hyiundai Tucson.
What honda is good for is their cars.You will find large number of accords here.
Thanks for the Info mate.

I was actually talking about the soft off roader market share here in India.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks