Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2009, 19:41   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Its the old VW Beetle (original) thats to be sold in India.

Now westerners import it only for nostalgic reasons, if import laws and pollution norms permit.
Anjan, the old air cooled Beetle has not been in production since July 2003 I think. The last cars were a limited edition badged 'Ultima Edicion'. I have physically seen and touched the very last car built.
Old 10th November 2009, 19:43   #92
Senior - BHPian

My dad owned a Blue VW Beetle in the late 70's when we were in Libya. Cute car. I don't remember much of it though as I was really young at that time. It was our first family car.

Got some photos, will try to post them.
Old 10th November 2009, 22:52   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Anjan, the old air cooled Beetle has not been in production since July 2003 I think. The last cars were a limited edition badged 'Ultima Edicion'. I have physically seen and touched the very last car built.
But Karl the going by yesterday's papers, press reports indicated exactly that! they had a whole story about the old air cooled Beetle and about its history. They have specifically used the phrase "people's car" again and again.I too had read that the old Beetle is since six years off the production line. Maybe the press fellows got it all wrong.And it would be a strategic mistake to bring in that old people's car in the market today in 2009.
True, as you say it should be the New Beetle which can retail for some Rs 18 lakhs.Thats no people's car even in the western market.
Old 11th November 2009, 08:08   #94
BHPian

The Times of India has this huge campaign today: 6 full page ads, and 5 half page ads on a single day. The Beetle is shown in a one page ad with a 2L, 85kW (115hP) petrol engine and a 6-speed AT, among other features.
Old 11th November 2009, 09:00   #95
BHPian

Review the Times of India - VW edition today.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...eg-beetle.html
Old 11th November 2009, 10:19   #96
BHPian

Beetle arrives in Dec 2009 as per the AD in todays TOI .
Old 11th November 2009, 16:34   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is the list of details VW has revealed in TOI.

-2.0l, 85KW (115hp) petrol engine.
-6-speed automatic transmission.
-Front dual airbags.
-Remote central locking.
-Heat insulating windshield and front glass.
-Stereo with 6 speakers and CD changer.
-Front centre armrests.
-Power steering.
-Body colored bumpers.
-15" alloy wheels.

SOURCE: Times of india, November 11 2009 Page 17.
Old 11th November 2009, 16:46   #98
BHPian

Didnt need to scan. The whole paper is online for viewing

:: E-paper ::
Old 12th November 2009, 12:05   #99
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Here is the list of details VW has revealed in TOI.

-2.0l, 85KW (115hp) petrol engine.
-6-speed automatic transmission.
-Front dual airbags.
-Remote central locking.
-Heat insulating windshield and front glass.
-Stereo with 6 speakers and CD changer.
-Front centre armrests.
-Power steering.
-Body colored bumpers.
-15" alloy wheels.

SOURCE: Times of india, November 11 2009 Page 17.
The most important detail missing in print but seen in the photographs is:

2 DOOR CAR, now in todays times with a TWO DOOR car one can only cater to a select luxury segment or a niche BE DIFFERENT segment and it can definately not be a peoples car. Plus except the POLO the remaining two vehicles planned seem to be CBU - hence absurd pricing just to exhibit their prowess as an international manufacturer. There is not true sale intent then except for the Polo.
Old 12th November 2009, 13:37   #100
BHPian

As has happened with the Fiat 500, I can confidently say that there will be more posts in this thread than sales of VW Beatles in India.

Dont blame VW or Fiat. Instead blame the protectionist policies of the Indian government. In this era of globalisation, when so many millions of Indians have emerged from poverty because of services exported to India, how can the Indian government get away with a 105% duty on imported cars? Imagine if the US started charging a 105% duty on imported software services?

The biggest losers are us, the Indian car buying public. No matter how unique your taste is, if you want to buy a reasonably priced car you're limited to the few choices that manufacturers have deemed will be profitable in India as a whole. So if 50 VW Beatles could be sold at Rs 22L, but 5000 could be sold at Rs 11L, even then the volumes are simply not enough to justify setting up the facilities to manufacture the car in India.

Apologies for the rant. Had to get it off my chest.
Old 12th November 2009, 13:44   #101
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEnd View Post
As has happened with the Fiat 500, I can confidently say that there will be more posts in this thread than sales of VW Beatles in India.

Dont blame VW or Fiat. Instead blame the protectionist policies of the Indian government. In this era of globalisation, when so many millions of Indians have emerged from poverty because of services exported to India, how can the Indian government get away with a 105% duty on imported cars? Imagine if the US started charging a 105% duty on imported software services?

The biggest losers are us, the Indian car buying public. No matter how unique your taste is, if you want to buy a reasonably priced car you're limited to the few choices that manufacturers have deemed will be profitable in India as a whole.
Actually i dont blame the Govt. I do thing that their decision is fine it is us Indians who need to stop buying CBU cars completely even for the high end segment, the lesser the number of CBU sales (due to pricing) the more the chances for atlease CKD / SKD manufacturing - completely / semi knock down kits.

All govt. have an incentive to benefit the local companies, it benfits the economy in the long run with jobs etc.
Old 12th November 2009, 13:57   #102
Senior - BHPian

VW Beetle launches on 4th December.
Old 12th November 2009, 13:59   #103
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I have physically seen and touched the very last car built.
WHOA!! You were in Brazil? You have any pics? Must be quite an event.
Old 12th November 2009, 14:19   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Actually i dont blame the Govt. I do thing that their decision is fine it is us Indians who need to stop buying CBU cars completely even for the high end segment, the lesser the number of CBU sales (due to pricing) the more the chances for atlease CKD / SKD manufacturing - completely / semi knock down kits.

All govt. have an incentive to benefit the local companies, it benfits the economy in the long run with jobs etc.
You are correct ACM.It's just make the manufacturer to build a plant here and generate job for local people.

But one thing happened because of this is that the car's sold as CKD,will never achieve a 80%-90% localication.since they get enough profit for the volume they sell.

For eg. Mercedes which is here for more than 10 years,but just now it has finished it own plant for assembling.I am user that they don't localize their products for more than 30 % because they want to maintain the high profit and status.Due to this we will never get a C class benz less than 30 Lakhs

Last edited by Sudan_NFS : 12th November 2009 at 14:20.
Old 12th November 2009, 19:29   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
WHOA!! You were in Brazil? You have any pics? Must be quite an event.
the last beetle was manufactured in MEXICO and if I am not mistaken is kept in the WOLFSBURG MUSEUM GERMANY.
Beetle production was stopped in BRAZIL in 1986
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks