Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2008, 09:33   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

It's a Golf without the interior space and practicality, I think.

Not impressed.
Old 25th July 2008, 09:43   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
Lets see when this gets launched and unlike the fiat 500 hopefully in a petrol variant in addition to diesel. The 150bhp engine seems nice as per the specs on US site
New Beetle - Complete Specs
i don't think they'll give us a petrol for the simple reason that even our premium petrol is not suited to their new tech engines, so i dont think they'll come out with a petrol option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It's a Golf without the interior space and practicality, I think.

Not impressed.
dude,
the beetle is a cult car, its like collector's item. You just can't compare it with the Golf. It may not appeal to everybody but it does have a market. Trust me, my dad has dreamt of this car since he was a kid & now seeing it in its new avatar, his dreams have come alive & kicking.
Old 25th July 2008, 13:05   #18
BHPian

I would take the Beetle over the Fiat 500 anyday, have always liked the Beetle.

Last edited by musicmanaman : 25th July 2008 at 13:06.
Old 25th July 2008, 13:33   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilkalvani View Post
the beetle is a cult car, its like collector's item. You just can't compare it with the Golf. It may not appeal to everybody but it does have a market. Trust me, my dad has dreamt of this car since he was a kid & now seeing it in its new avatar, his dreams have come alive & kicking.
The old beetle is everything you say.

The new beetle is a Golf dressed up as a beetle.

"lifestyle" stuff. Marketing men dream of it.

But hey, if someone wants their Golf that shape, then why not? And if it means all that history of Beetle to them, again, why not.

Hope your Dad manages to get one, and enjoys
Old 25th July 2008, 13:54   #20
BHPian

Hey Thad,

The old beetle is everything you say.

Yeah, but u have to change with the times right, a more contemporary look would do in this age, so they've given beetlemaniacs a chance to own the same shape in a modern avatar. I think personally they're spot on.

The new beetle is a Golf dressed up as a beetle.

ya but they have to adopt a platform right, & the golf fitted a similar frame.

"lifestyle" stuff. Marketing men dream of it.

Well, more than marketing, its nostalgia. See i'd never buy this car no amount of marketing would get me to own it, but its sentiment, old world charm. Ask a senior who lived through those years, he'll tell you some stories about the Beetle. You should have seen the twinkle in my Dad's eye when i mentioned that its gonna be launched in India.

But hey, if someone wants their Golf that shape, then why not? And if it means all that history of Beetle to them, again, why not.

Yup, but i just don't understand why you keep on calling it a Golf? even the Alto can be called a 800 as its based on the same platform. Nevermind, you may never understand it.

Hope your Dad manages to get one, and enjoys

Yup i hope to buy him one if & when i have the reserves for it. Saving up...

Note from Support: Using QUOTE instead of this format would increase readability of post. Thanks!

Last edited by aah78 : 25th July 2008 at 20:56. Reason: See note, use QUOTE!
Old 25th July 2008, 14:25   #21
BANNED

Thad and Anil,

VW survived because of Beetle

All the other variants from VW came after the Beetle. Yes Beetle is a cult car. Every other VW is a derivative.

Being a childhood dreams yes, the Beetle sure is , I dreamt of owning one since my age at 15 and finally realised the dream at the age of 24.

Lets not fight over something guys, lets be happy for this car thats stepping into INDIAN soil.
Old 25th July 2008, 17:11   #22
BHPian

The dealer is HYD told me last week or so, that the BEETLE might be launched by December, and it will come as the CBU route, and will be priced near to Rs.20lk. The other day i saw an imported Beetle Convertible here, and seeing the size of it, i would be very happy if they launch it anywhere near the JEtta pricing!, i am being practical here, not dreaming of rosy figures. 15-17lks wil surely be the ex-showroom price of it when launched. Its not an everyday small car, its a BETTLE! a car with a fascinating history! this car is an icon!

Last edited by Insane Devil : 25th July 2008 at 17:15.
Old 26th July 2008, 00:00   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ask a senior who lived through those years,
Hey! I may not go back to the war-time years of its development, but the old beetle was still in production during a great deal of my lifetime, and I was one of the ones sad to see that production ending. I'm older than I look

I wish India would appreciate the legend of the Golf. VW invented the 'hot hatch'. We call stuff like Swifts hot hatches, when they don't even do 0-100 in less than ten seconds. The Golf GTI was the original, "Wow, what was that?" car, as this perfectly ordinary-looking, mid-size family car sped past your something-much-bigger on the motorway.

The legendary Beetle faded away some-what with the hippy culture, and the legendary Golf roared out with the Yuppie culture. It moved on from being just a damn-good hot hatch to being the symbol of upward mobility too.

It was the ultimate techie's company car (I never managed a GTI, just a tame 1.6, sob).

It was the symbol of those who didn't need mobility too: the convertible often being rich daddy's present to youngster for 18th or 21st birthday.

Heck this is offtopic... an ode to the Golf in a Beetle thread. Hopefully one day I can repeat it all when they do launch the Gold here!
Old 26th July 2008, 00:13   #24
Senior - BHPian

I wonder how much it costs to import a newish one from latin america. pity they arent produced there any more either
Old 27th July 2008, 21:59   #25
Team-BHP Support

Adding to Thad's note

The Beetle made VW and nearly broke it in 1970's when the world was catching up with newer cars. VW can thank Audi takeover for a lot of the design which launched the original Audi 100, the audi 80 which spawned the Passat and helped VW move into the front engine mode. There was also the K70.

The Golf mechanicals were scaled down from the Passat and a tranverse layout designed in, Italdesign gave it the body design. Before launching it en masse, they prelaunched it with a pretty body as the Scirroco to engine mechanicals were reliable in mass market and also to enhance branding. Then the Golf was launched!

The Polo was the Audi 50 which VW felt was too cheap for Audi.

So really, our VW's are Audi's originally.
Old 27th July 2008, 22:11   #26
Senior - BHPian

I think that VW should come up with the new Gol they have launched elsewhere in the world, mostly Brazil. It can fight with new Indica, etc. This car is just a show down and although sales might be there, I wonder what will be cost of spares.

IMO, in July 2003, the final original VW Beetle was rolled out in Mexico. Very long life for an automobile.

In May 1974 Volkswagen came up with Golf as a front wheel drive replacement of the Beetle. Diesel-powered version came in 1976, mostly in August and then came out Jetta after 5 years of Golf in 1979.
Old 27th July 2008, 22:18   #27
BHPian

i would prefer the golf over the beetle anyday i mean the golf r32
The Official Website for Volkswagen UK : Volkswagen UK
Old 27th July 2008, 22:37   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Thats good news but this Beetle is not a people's car.Its priced in the e3xecutive car bracket. It does'nt sell as well as the old Beetle did. In Germany, I could not spot them so commonly during my visit. It is larger too than the old Beetle (cult car) but still a two door. The design and fit and finish is top class.
Old 18th August 2008, 18:35   #29
BHPian

Volkswagen to launch Beetle in India by 2009

Volkswagen is bringing the original people's car to India next year

Volkswagen to launch Beetle in India by 2009- Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times
Old 18th August 2008, 18:48   #30
Senior - BHPian

Wow srj thats fantastic news. The thing to see is the pricing
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks