Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2008, 20:49   #16
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Not to justify MSIL's mode of operation, but the above note is too harsh.

This is the same trash which change the whole scenario of motoring in our country. It could be a bad vehicle on today's standards for sure, but I'll never call it such meaningless words.
Ok. I am a bit harsh. But what prevents them from doing either of the below:-

1. Put a 5 speed gearbox in the M800 (and sell it as same price as the alto)?
or
2. Sell the Alto at same prices as M800?

The car may be a trendsetter, but has been flogged too much.

What happens when you use and use and use and re-use and re-use and re-use a disposable cup? It becomes trash, no? That is my point. No offence taken, or meant.
Old 25th July 2008, 21:20   #17
Senior - BHPian

Maruti 800 cannot be called a trash, IMO.

This is a car that can changed the car market in India. I read in magazines that cars in India can be defined in BM ( Before Maruti 800 ) and AM ( After Maruti 800 ) era.

Even today for city driving, I am not able to see any car performing better. It can slide into small parking place where any of the present B-segment cars cant go in. It has got an engine that can still power the car to reasonable speeds. We know the traffic in cities and Maruti 800 has sufficient power. Its easy to repair, wont cost a bomb to maintain.

I feel that there is still life left in this car. Thats why it is still in top ten selling cars in world's biggest democracy. If there were no demand for this car, then easily it would have gone like Zen Estilo in sales chart.

This effort shows that life is not very long for Maruti 800. And this move is not welcome. When I logged in and saw this topic, I thought that Maruti is up with a Nano competing car. But this move is bad.

But lets not call this car bad. It still is a dream for many first time car buyers. Not all can buy b-segment cars.
Old 25th July 2008, 21:22   #18
HKP
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
What happens when you use and use and use and re-use and re-use and re-use a disposable cup? It becomes trash, no? That is my point. No offence taken, or meant.
That comparison holds true for Used Cars. Here, there are a lot of people who still prefers to go for M800 instead of Alto. First time users also have a soft corner for this car. So its not a trash by any means.

Coming back to TOPIC,
Does any one know what is unique in Uniq?

\\hkp
Old 25th July 2008, 22:04   #19

The Maruti 800 is going to have the same fate that the glorious Padmini had. I still stand by my words of it being one of the best handling cars in india. With a superb exhaust note to boot!!

Love it or hate it...It changed India.....PERIOD!!
Old 25th July 2008, 22:04   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Why have Santro/ i10? Octavia/ Laura? Why can't hatchbacks have a boot and be priced like a sedan? Why have different variants for a car, when all of it should have all features and priced same as top end model?

If M800 were to sell at the same prices as the Alto, why have two separate cars at all?

Because, there are people who buy both. To some people, M800 may be obsolete, but to some, it is the only hope for family travel (until the Nano comes along and proves itself to be reliable). We had an M800 for several years, because there was nothing in the market we could have afforded back then. And the story hasn't changed too much now also.

Recently, a relative of mine bought an M800. He just couldn't push his budget to an Alto. It was either this or traveling on a bike with the family, and being such a big investment of his life, he wasn't ready to take a risk with the initial batch of Nano's or TATA quality.

5000- 6000 people put their money on the M800 every month, and it might not be without any reason at all!
Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
Don't understand till what time MSIL will drag this already a dead model.
Sir, from the sales figures, does it seem to be a dead model? Its dying, but not dead, in my humble opinion.
Quote:
We read a newspaper, throw it off and it does not hold much value to us anymore. But there are many people who would have their livelihood based on that 'trash'. Sorry if my reasoning doesn't make sense, no offence taken, or meant!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 25th July 2008 at 22:15.
Old 25th July 2008, 22:21   #21
BHPian

I would say " It is better to burn out than to fade away "

Let the buyers decide the fate of the car.

Personally it is amongst the most reliable cars to have entered Indian Market and is still a preferred choice amongst people in small towns where it can zip through any amount of available road.
Old 25th July 2008, 22:41   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Yawn!!! Trash is trash, however well it is (re)packed.

Dude, I dont think you know much about automobiles!
Old 25th July 2008, 23:01   #23
BHPian

Correct me if wrong: I thought the M-800 is available in 5-speed; I see quite a few with the sticker proclaiming so on it's rear-end.

Personally, I loved this vehicle when I owned it - my first 4-wheeler. I picked it up in Delhi and it used to be a breeze to drive it around (and out of town - took it all the way to Rohtang pass running on regular OEM tyres!) way back in 1997-98. After moving back to B'lore, it continued to serve me to it's maximum and never had an issue with her. I still believe it is a good first vehicle for anyone to possess.

The M-800 is far from trash, mate!

Cheers,
Old 26th July 2008, 00:52   #24
Senior - BHPian

So there will be an exclusive limited edition 800? Sounds special.
Old 26th July 2008, 01:20   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dude, just think for a moment before u shoot off such statements. The 800 is a car which changed the Indian Auto industry altogether, If not for it, we'd still be driving around in our ambys and fiats! I Agree the quality has come down, but the reason is that its built to a price, and u dont get anything for free!

Quote:
Ok. I am a bit harsh. But what prevents them from doing either of the below:-

or
2. Sell the Alto at same prices as M800?
Errr.. I think the reason could be because they are 2 Different Models!!
Man! Just think, if they put a 5 speed in the 800 and price it similar to the Alto, Why would anyone buy this??

Quote:
Yes, the cup may be ruined when u reuse it, but lemme ask u a question? Can u drink anything without that cup in the first place?? Just because a cup gets old, do u drink tea from a barrel in the morning??
Old 26th July 2008, 01:32   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have u ever driven one??Its by no standard trash.The new headlight,tailight in the current 800 makes it good looking too.
Also the 800 has the most direct steering i have ever seen.
Which car can u get for 2 lakhs with AC,dirt cheap to maintain,still can be taken on the highways and believe me on this,its fun to drive too.
Revvin the engine in 2nd,3rd gear with the airplane take of sound is shear music to ears.
Have driven it for 80 thousand km plus and is 10 years old and i am proud to say i would not think twice before buying another 800 .Status bla bla out of the window.I like it,i ll get it.
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2008, 01:42   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Have u ever driven one??Its by no standard trash.The new headlight,tailight in the current 800 makes it good looking too.
Also the 800 has the most direct steering i have ever seen.
Which car can u get for 2 lakhs with AC,dirt cheap to maintain,still can be taken on the highways and believe me on this,its fun to drive too.
Revvin the engine in 2nd,3rd gear with the airplane take of sound is shear music to ears.
Have driven it for 80 thousand km plus and is 10 years old and i am proud to say i would not think twice before buying another 800 .Status bla bla out of the window.I like it,i ll get it.
I totally agree with u man! My car is a lil older than yours, 23 years to be precise, and 73K km done!!
And i must say, it can still beat the pants off any other 800CC hatch in the country, and even some bigger ones too.
Old 26th July 2008, 02:04   #28
Senior - BHPian

I guess this trash is responsible for putting india on wheels. It still sells well, and more than half of the population bought this as their first car, learned driving on these. Has a great resale value ( i have seen 2001 1.8D ikon (8lac then) selling for the same price as m800) now beat that.

And i still own one, it will nearly be two whole revolution of the oddo in few months. and still beats the s*** out of any four rod motor, if you wanna reach point A-B with near three figure speed.
Old 26th July 2008, 02:13   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Not to justify MSIL's mode of operation, but the above note is too harsh.

This is the same trash which changed the whole scenario of motoring in our country. It could be a bad vehicle on today's standards for sure, but I'll never call it such meaningless words.

Sorry.
It was a success due to Maruti's government sponsored monopoly.

Its not that it was a great or 'scenario changing' car, its just that there were not any competitors and those that were there were even older trash. If it was such a revolutionary model it would have changed the global motoring industry like the beetle, golf, corolla, etc. At best you can say among the trash it was not the worst.

Sentimental reasons by persons who used to own it etc are understandable, but they are different thing from how good a car is.
Old 26th July 2008, 02:56   #30
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post
It was a success due to Maruti's government sponsored monopoly.

Its not that it was a great or 'scenario changing' car, its just that there were not any competitors and those that were there were even older trash. If it was such a revolutionary model it would have changed the global motoring industry like the beetle, golf, corolla, etc. At best you can say among the trash it was not the worst.

Sentimental reasons by persons who used to own it etc are understandable, but they are different thing from how good a car is.
Sir!
We live in India. This is a country where sentimental values are often considered to be the most precious. Not that we are right always. So, there're many a times one has to understand the circumstances before anything is said against something.

Monopoly or not, 800 delivered exactly what an average Indian needed in his automotive needs. And even after the monopoly era is far over, many still suffice their automotive needs with the 800. A person who can afford to pay an Emi of couple a thousands can also be an owner of a 4wheeler rather than hanging around his family in a 2wheeler. So, to call it trash is very rude.

Maybe we have grown up with/to fat pockets and heavy pay packets that we can afford higher priced 'non trash' cars. But still I would choose to respect the person below me who is not able to buy a car like mine.

Last edited by speedzak : 26th July 2008 at 02:58. Reason: Spelling mistake.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks